Cocobean

Guys, How do u all started in this Audio Obsession??

4 years ago - played with mixers and amps, Peavey's and Toa's

3 years ago - started paying attention to the 20-year-old Yamaha setup at home

1.5 years ago - got my first Discman =D

half a year ago - got my ER6i =D

Further to add on:

Also long time back, I had this red Sony walkman with Auto reverse, at that time its very

ex. The walkman came with the metallic earphones which looks like a hair clip. hehe...

Those were the days... I had cassettes of Vanilla Ice i think and also the Ghostbusters Soundtrack..

Nostalgic... :D

RETRORESPECT!! :party:

:b2t:))

Blame it on my rich friend who had a Musical Fidelity A1 integrated amp and Tannoy Titan speakers. We used to have slumber party at his place. The year was 1986. The rest, they say, is history.

Many decades ago, I was an undergrad staying in KE Hall, in Outram campus. Martin Electronics was in Outram complex and rented out LPs. I bought a Lenco turntable from them, a Sony amp from some sale and a pair of JBL speakers from a friend working in Eastland Audio.

So you know the aunty in Martin has been in this business a long long time. I still remember her daughter, many of the hostelites had eyes for her. :D

Edited by heady

My brothers started it, I followed.

It used to be a Linn LP12, Grace G707, Dyna 10x4, Aragon tube pre which needed to be heated up, Audionics power, Mission 700s which was the rave of the British press at that time, What Hifi?

An Aiwa walkman that I saved like crazy to buy.

From there onwards it was a couple of Technics discmans and an Aiwa mini-compo, and a Sony MD player.

You know, if I could rewind time, I'd stick to those few pieces of gear and avoid the higher end game, which is time and money consuming. Those days I'd buy something new only if the old one broke and was beyond repair. A far saner approach. There was no consideration for system matching, synergy, placement and whathave you. Me and my classmates just wanted to listen to music on the bus, on the train, and at home. Sound quality was a secondary consideration. :))

My dad contribute to my journey in this audio obsession. He owned a Japan-made hi-fi system which he is very proud of. That time it worth a few thousands dollars. That is 1970s. It's a Sansui Hi-Fi system. It has two front speakers, one Sansui AMP with Video Receiver, a big-cassete player (last time they used to have big cassete before the normal cassete we used last time :D ) and a LP player, cum equalizer. I think all Sansui. With another Japan-made headphone. It's not Sansui though. Forgotten what brand is that.

He always play his LP and cassete in the room. We listen to his setup since young. Until now they are still working find for him! I can say it's a very old and durable setup with decent sounds though you cannot say it's a very good high-end setup. It's very enjoyable while I listen to his setup. Just for pure music listening.

He started to buy in DVDP and not CDP, which I find it weird. When I was told that is to watch movies and music listening together. That was in 1990s. Well, fair enough.

Then I start to notice some newspaper columns and magazine that introduce head-fi and hi-fi rigs. I start to find myself spending time in doing research on that. This is finally pay off when the first time I used my money to buy myself a HD202 during Poly studies. That time I was a happy ant with my music on with the pcdp from a friend. Quite a nice pcdp but I soon find that HD202 is not a good cans to own. Due to my heavy schedule and stepping into the working world. I started to lose in touch with head-fi or even hi-fi. But there was a time where I were fond of hi-fi but due to budget contraint and low earning power, I can't afford and my friend pass me a free PC speakers, JBL Platinum Pro if my memory serves my well enough. I'm not impressed the SQ of that pair of PC speakers much.

Until I dump it aside and not playing any music for quite long and focus on my work and other hobbies. Until that time I went down to Adelphi I contacted SGH seniors again. And finally make my trip down to Stereo Electronics to try out those phones which are within my budget and finally get my ATH-A500. Which is a big improvement over that crappy HD202. Totally enjoy in it. Like it with X-cans but still need a CDP later to make it a better setup. Probably a pair of good IC too.

Still enjoying with my warm and smooth sounding music now. Burn-in in process..slowly and steady as not much time to do that. Only when I'm free I will let it burn-in a few hours. The process is slow but so far so good. Improvements coming along the way. I dont agree with people who claims that amp is useless for A500. A500 with an amp is a different cans and burn-in definitely helps though fresh out the box it sounds quite nice on SE setup that time.

I trust my ears more. Suggestions and opinions are welcome, but whether it is a nice cans or not, I need to justify it with my ears =) My dearest friend for music is my ears and heart. Of course DT990 is still my pursue in the long run, as usual ;)

Started during the Polytechnic years back in early 1990s. Was introduced to Hi-Fi by a best frend of mine. Have been playing with many cassette walkman (mainly Philips), discman (mainly Sony with the first being an Akai PD-X73, which is the best sounding discman that I ever have!) and even DCC :blink: (if anyone can remember this technology)

Later I jump into the realm of audiophile with my 1st hard-earned money from my industrial training. First I got myself a cd-player from an electronics shop at Bedok Central (Philips CD-930) follow by a NAD amplifier (302) from SLT and MS20i from SLS. From there on I gone thru many hi-fi upgrade (like all audiophiles do :P ) when I went out to work in the society, finally settle down to my current system now which have not been upgrade for the past 5 years.

With the playing of Hi-Fi equipments, I get to appreciate good music from a good headphone amp & can. This is where i got myself the X-Can V1 and HD590. Finally went to the dark side of MP3 (which is consider a no-no for true audiophile) when my last discman died and got myself the iPod. :party:

1987 : uses school system for all the music i listened (Musical Fidelity + some dunno wat pyramidal shaped speakers)...totally hooked onto it

1988 : First Walkman ... AIWA

1991 : first home basic HIFI set (AIWA double cassette player + Philips CD player + Technics Amp + B&W speakers)

1992 : Technics portable CD player

1994 : Bought a set of Paradigm Titan for myself

1995 : Together with a rich army friend, visited Adelphi almost monthly to listen to hifi

1996 : Upgraded Hifi system set (Marantz AV amp + Audioquest interconnects + Kimberly speaker cables)

1998 : Hooked by my bro-in-law's Acoustic Energy AE109 speakers

1999 : upgraded home speakers to a set of Tannoy

2000 : purchase a set of Classe Amp + CD player w AFA balanced interconnects from Stereo Electronics

2001 : purchased a set of Klipsch Promedia 2.1 for my PC

2005 : hooked up my Classe Amp + CD player + Tannoy speakers to my PC

2006 : Panasonic HJE-50 (Feb) + Westone UM1 (Apr) + LDM+ (Jun) + Etymotics ER4p (Jun) + OVC T10 & T11 (Jul)

Started with MDR-Q55 when I was loooking for a better pair of headphones for portable use, just based on price and gut feeling. Then went on to try EX-51(based on get feeling again). After that was EX-70 based on some reading up. Then first really started when I found this place, and finally a pair of headphones from Mackie, the DT-431, which is now dead.

My brothers started it, I followed.

It used to be a Linn LP12, Grace G707, Dyna 10x4, Aragon tube pre which needed to be heated up, Audionics power, Mission 700s which was the rave of the British press at that time, What Hifi?

:crazy::crazy::crazy: darn there's no drool emoticon lol.. LP12 :yeah:

Started with the Sony ex51 when a good friend of mine introduced it to me 3 years ago. And I seriously thought I've got the BEST sounding earphone in the world back then. lol. =P

LOl mine is is worse la. My dad used to buy me those pasar malam earphones. So when i bought my first sony discman with inbuilt fm/am (rather bulky) it came with the STOCK sony earphones. I was like WOW... the sound reproduction is POWA la dah! Haha...

After that i just got hooked on to getting better sound of the earphones i have. Sorta relived the memories of pasar malam to sony. :party:

can't remember exactly when (should be around mid 80s), got from my father my first Sony walkman, the latest model at that time, very thin. It has radio+audio for tv. My precious and I still keep it until today.

In 1992, worked hard during my summer vacation in Germany. I spent part of my first salary for my first hi-fi set-up. Amp: Yamaha, CD: Sony, speaker: Elac. I think I spent about DM 1,000 for that set-up, a lot of money at that time, especially for a poor student like me. This set-up still my home set-up until today. It still sounds great like before and the sentimental value is priceless ;)

lol.

started my journey 7yrs ago i think.

7yrs ago: got creative mx440 4.1 system @ warehouse sales which is pretty great last time.

6yrs ago: got the first fm receiver of my life with the stock buds, starts to buy cheapo $2 - $4 earphones from electronics shop

5yrs ago: since my dad left his system to collect dust, i took it. a oldie Prodio Amp with 1 bass, 2 satelites (tot im in heaven)

3yrs ago: went to fren house and he show me his car hi-fi 5.1 setup at home. (omfg thats powerful) and got e398, use the stock earphones and uploaded mp3 inside (very satisfied that time)

2yrs ago: got ipod shuffle(got it as soon as it was released) with the ibuds (wow so great, more capacity and great sound) no longer using e398 to listen to songs lol. and also i got Altec Lansing mx5021 2.1 THX when i tested it in challenger, find that yucks my mx440 is lousy lol.

1mth after i get my shuffle: found this forum, started to browse and everything u guys talking seems "alien" to me lol. saw varies of in-ears and i got interested so i scouted and found that ex51 was the best (expensive and in-ears wow, tt time $50 in-ears seems like digging my flesh lol)

slowly...(at the time i finally decided to register and post) i upgraded to cresyn lmx-e630 due to the ex51 prob.

upgraded to cresyn lmx-e630 and again to ATH-CK7 after i seen nice reviews on it. went to jade gift, tried it and wow. big lvl difference lol.

till past few weeks ago: visited Jaben very often due to the temptations of cans.i got my Alessandro MS-2 and now awaiting for LD2+ lol.

conclusion : ibuds got damaged by frens and got mi into ex51 and from there i started my big spendings lol.

Edited by ahdui