Cocobean

Guys, How do u all started in this Audio Obsession??

Music, in order to enjoy music better.

My first source was a Technics PCDP and my first CD player was a Technics too.

TNT Audio mailing list taught me how to DIY and introduced to me vinyl.

My office intranet forum, this forum and VR Zone poisoned me on using PC as a source. Later on, switch to using headphones.

Headwize, Headfi and Tangentsoft encouraged me to pick up the soldering iron again.

My first experience where I realized there was something special going on in listening to music was in 1965, when I was 10 years of age. My parents had friends whom we went to visit on occasion.

The gentleman of the house had a dedicated listening room and throughout the entire house everywhere there was space he had vinyl LPs stored. I remember him telling my Dad that he had over 1000 records, as they were commonly called in those days.

In his listening room there were vacuum tubes aglow, although I surely didn't know what they were at the time. The only piece of equipment I remember specifically was a Thorens turntable. He said he ordered it from Chicago, which seemed impressive for someone living in the hills of rural Kentucky, USA.

The other thing I remember from our visits was some kind of really cool feeling I had from seeing and hearing all this. I think I realized right then and there that music and listening to music would be very important to me.

I was correct.

I've always had pretty nice gear but always try to never let the equipment, or analyzing equipment get in the way of enjoying the music, even my old recordings that sound horrible.

My first Original Sony Walkman in 1982. I still keep it as a relic!

Then...1st Gen. Rega Planar 3 with RB 300 arm & RB 100 Cartridge , 1st Gen Naim Nait Amp , Heybrook HB2 speakers inherited from my late uncle in 1985.

Next... Linn LP12 with various arm/cartridge combos, various Naim pre/power combos, Various Speakers, all 2 way bookshelf... ProAc, Epos & Harbeth.

Got rid of my whole analog rig in 1991 & travelled the world with my first CD player... a Sony D-25S Discman & my first Grado SR 100.

The Sony D-25S is still very much alive & kicking after having it serviced in Japan a couple of years ago :P

sennheiser mx400 opened me up to a new world away from stock earbuds and lousy sound.

then its been panasonic hje-50, grado sr-60, hd201 and cx300.

finally going to get some real headphones setup soon. Will probably be the dt880 03 edition with zero dac+amp or crossroads edge amp.

Always wanted to own a headphone simply to be like a wannabe DJ for yeaarss. And then one day my friend said that he had the same obsession and we went around Sim Lim looking for cool looking headphones. He's an internet freak so he googled sites for headphone recommendations and he found this site and he took me to SE and Jaben so yea. Got me a K81 DJ and I have never look back.

I had a simple computer desktop speaker system, den slowly upgraded to creative 5.1 and feel it isn't enough, so upgraded again to home theatre - gaming series 5.1 system and x-fi soundcard . . . it still isn't enough . . . HD215 , HD595, shures

den to bookshelf speakers . . .

its not enough . . . :(

I have a friend who wanted to give me his power amplifier. Given how much I know myself, I immediately know that this is going to be another poison, but the poison is too sweet to reject. :D

How did I get into this obsession? 2 words: STEREO ELECTRONICS!!!

I had to visit them. Sigh....

well, to be fair, I've always loved music and high quality reproduction of it. Happy with my mid-range hi-fi at home. But then I started to listen more at work and then I tried a pair of PX200 and I realised.. wah, u mean portable audio can be so nice one ah? Then.... I tried a pair of Grado SR60s. My jaw dropped. Then, a SR80, it dropped further, then a T2 amp, almost hitting the floor, than a D2, I hear a thug, then I decided to rip at Apple Loosless, I started to taste dirt on the floor.

Sigh, I dare not try WAV or FLAC at this point. I will need a 160Gb ipod if so.

Well, I used to think .. aiyah please lah, how can portable audio compete with a proper $10k hifi? Other than spoiling your ears in the long run, I have to say I am have now a headphone evangelist.

My first experience where I realized there was something special going on in listening to music was in 1965, when I was 10 years of age. My parents had friends whom we went to visit on occasion.

The gentleman of the house had a dedicated listening room and throughout the entire house everywhere there was space he had vinyl LPs stored. I remember him telling my Dad that he had over 1000 records, as they were commonly called in those days.

In his listening room there were vacuum tubes aglow, although I surely didn't know what they were at the time. The only piece of equipment I remember specifically was a Thorens turntable. He said he ordered it from Chicago, which seemed impressive for someone living in the hills of rural Kentucky, USA.

The other thing I remember from our visits was some kind of really cool feeling I had from seeing and hearing all this. I think I realized right then and there that music and listening to music would be very important to me.

I was correct.

I've always had pretty nice gear but always try to never let the equipment, or analyzing equipment get in the way of enjoying the music, even my old recordings that sound horrible.

My first Original Sony Walkman in 1982. I still keep it as a relic!

Then...1st Gen. Rega Planar 3 with RB 300 arm & RB 100 Cartridge , 1st Gen Naim Nait Amp , Heybrook HB2 speakers inherited from my late uncle in 1985.

Next... Linn LP12 with various arm/cartridge combos, various Naim pre/power combos, Various Speakers, all 2 way bookshelf... ProAc, Epos & Harbeth.

Got rid of my whole analog rig in 1991 & travelled the world with my first CD player... a Sony D-25S Discman & my first Grado SR 100.

The Sony D-25S is still very much alive & kicking after having it serviced in Japan a couple of years ago :P

It feels so good to be young.... :beer::))

Edited by razer

AWIA walkman 1994

Sony walkman1999

Sony DEJ915 + Sennheiser HD433 2001

Panasonic CT570 2004

Philips CD931 + Sennheiser HD600 2007