Sign in to follow this  
Shiro MS08th

Need recommendation in an entry level CD Player

What are the items u guys look at when purchasing a cdp

sound quality, synergy with the rest of yr systems, features you need.. DAC used, transport mech etc...

I am curious about this. How do u know abt the sound quality when everyone's opinion on music is quite different. As for synergy, unless u really get to audit the cdp with your current equipment, how would u really know how well the synergy is going to be.

Can i say that its at best still a mere guess to a certain extend... and well as long as you find the music pleasant to your ears then its alright.

you are right it is best and to brin down yr own can to have a listen.. even when buying a new amp if you are unsure..

am curious about this. How do u know abt the sound quality when everyone's opinion on music is quite different. As for synergy, unless u really get to audit the cdp with your current equipment, how would u really know how well the synergy is going to be.

Can i say that its at best still a mere guess to a certain extend... and well as long as you find the music pleasant to your ears then its alright

Let me just start by saying nothing in this world is absolute. An investment, analysis, scientific theory and all things major and minor are at best a guess, but nevertheless, the best one acceptable by the majority but more significantly, yourself. This is why you must first understand what you like and want before embarking on this journey, which can be rather confusing and stressful.

Do not confuse music quality with sound quality. Hence, a system that makes good sound does not mean good music and in turn, the best recorded cd may not play the best music. Once you've drawn the line between sound and music, the rest is easier.

Let's consider sound since it's the key criteria when selecting each and every component to form a system. Let's look at the source ie cd player. If you do not own any system at all, you must look for a common ground or reference point on the onset. For instance, a certain cdp A piques your interest but you have no idea how it sounds. Hear this cdp A partnered with amp A and cans A. Note the + and -, then listen to the next system with the same cdp A and can A but amp B. Note the difference and common findings between this and the former systems and derive a preliminary conclusion of the sonic characteristics of cdp A+can A. Next, partner cdp A with amp B and can B. Note the difference and compare with the previous findings. If you continue along these lines, very soon you will learn how the cdp A score on its own. Apply the same principles for other components too. In fact, partner the targeted component with as many systems as possible and your findings will become more accurate. But if you already have a can which can be driven direct from the cdp's headphone out, all the better, as you only need to carry the cans and hear it on different cdps.

Now do not throw away your findings from your previous auditions as you have a whole lot of data inhibited by each component, cdp, amps, cans. Theoretically, fit the 3 components that either have similar sonic characteristics or those that compliment one another. Read ying and yang as what you aim for is a balanced performance and not leaning towards any extreme. Frankly speaking, I find the whole process very mathematical but so is physics in general.

Last but not least, select the song/music track which you are very familar with (not necessarily audiophile recording) for each and every audition. Listen in the A-B-A manner ie, listen to system A then B then back to A to confirm your findings. Frankly speaking, the whole process is rather mathematical but so is physics in general.

Edited by Mackie

Some comments on the Oppo dvd player.

My Rotel cdp's transport died recently (when it rains it really pours) so I was quite literally forced to use the Oppo for 2 channel audio as well. It sounds pretty decent, much to my suprise. Most dvd players, including my previous pioneer, sound pretty horrible/artificial for 2 channel audio. The Oppo is quite listenable. Not as good as my recently deceased Rotel, but very close. Human voices at least sound like human voices, and instruments sound realistic, which is more than what I can say of other dvd players I've heard. I think the people who commented that it sounds as good as the Marantz SA-11 are on drugs.

I still stand by my earlier recommendation that one should buy this player ONLY if you are using it for DVD playback as well. As an all in one player for $299, its a no brainer. For redbook playback only, you have other options in the form of used players or entry level players from Marantz, Nad, Rotel, Arcam etc.

There are some places offering expensive and not so expensive mods for the Oppo. My opinion is that they should be avoided. At the end of the day the Oppo is a cheap player using a very cheap transport unit. Spending that kind of $$$ will defeat the purpose of buying the player, which is to get decent multi-format/dvd playback at an affordable price.