Sign in to follow this  
kehyi

Grado Streetstyle

hmm... looks like the fabled Grado Streetstyles have turned up... to be called iGrado.

From Playlist

From Head-fi

Er... response to the name and styling has been... mixed... gotta wait to see/hear how it sounds, i guess...

edit: The advertising design company seems to be Bryan Canniff Design

Edited by kehyi

ipod wannabes does not care about sound.. only looks...

maybe its Grado's effort to gain popularity?

Nah... I don't think they can meet with demand, unless they set up a mass-production plant.

How about the idea of "I'm cool cause i use an ipod" + "i'm cool cause i'm an audiophile" sounds?

It depends on the marketing strategy grado uses. If it really works, then i wonder how many users will actually appretiate the sound of the cans. :unsure::unsure:

For all the snipey comments, I will just say that:

1. Whether or not you are a fan, the iPod is by far the most popular MP3 player on the market, by far. If you are an audio manufacturer, you ignore this at your peril.

2. The iPod works very well. One may quibble over comparisons to niche players like iRiver and Creative, but all else being equal (e.g., same tracks and same headphones) they will all deliver high quality sound - far superior to the solutions of yesteryear.

3. Grado is a small niche player. A good small niche player, but one nonetheless. The great majority of music listeners have no idea that Grado exists, and this is not really anyone's fault.

Grado has to balance the requirements laid out above. It makes no sense for them to compete stylisticly with Sony or even Sennheiser - their existing customer base already puts up with oddball "retro" looks and takes some pride in that. I joke about my Grados all the time, I feel like Radar O'Riley.

If Grado made a "slick" looking headphone, they might just be shouting into the wind with no one to hear, drowned out by Sony, etc. Better to sell to the existing customer base - ergo, iGrado. A bit funky looking and probably great sounding. Since I can't really wear my SR-60s at the gym, these might be the next best thing.

How about the idea of "I'm cool cause i use an ipod" + "i'm cool cause i'm an audiophile" sounds?

It depends on the marketing strategy grado uses. If it really works, then i wonder how many users will actually appretiate the sound of the cans. :unsure::unsure:

OT:you play R/C too? i playing with Mini-z :P

anyway........you are ll right ipod users go for ipod cos they look cool

Guest joi-ful

Eeew, I was hoping they will come in neck band or clip-ons.

But seriously, I don't believe they're the real deal. C'mon, iGrados?? Zzz.

The ARE equipped with neckbands (hence "streetstyle").

I am camping outside Stereo Electronics with USD$49 as I type, I'll move back after they land in Singapore.

I think Garrett aka kramer5150 e-mailed Grado with regard to the iGrado headphones, and that it was confirmed that that's the real deal o_O;;;

The design is... ugh.

i dunno bout the iPod bashings.

im using one.

and im not gonna spend 500s on a player that looks like my crap in the morning.

the grados looks sick.

as in sick. vomit sick.

my ES-7, me thinks, looks way better =]

Guest joi-ful

I think the retro look of the Grados is real cool ( or is it just me?? lol)

But this iGrado ah.... really cmi.

Oh yea, I just noticed it's a neck band design (my mistake back there)

And it's a really ugly neck band imo. Maybe the sound would do the company some justice... hopefully