Sign in to follow this  
borez

Need some recommendations for closed cans

Hi there all,

I'm a current user of the Sony's MDR-888LP for approx 5 years, and the rubber sheathing of my 888s are starting to fall out (revealing the bare wires.)

I'm currently starting to source for a replacement (preferably closed cans), and I was wondering whether you guys could help me on this. IEMs are out for me, as I always can't seem to fit IEMs into my ears.

My preferences have somewhat inclined towards the 888s in recent years, with clear and rich midranges, with tight, punchy bass (I'm not a bass nut though).

After some reading up, I've shortlisted down to the following:

Senns PX200

Grado SR-60 (this is open though, sadly)

iGrados (the design puts me off, heh)

Audio Technica FC-7 (open?)

AKG K26/K27i

Koss KSC35/75

My budget's probably approx $100, but if it's really good, I could stretch it to $150-ish.

I use an 3G iPod (unamped), and I listen to jazz, vocals (ie, 蔡琴, Frank Sinatra, Diana Krall), and occasionally trance.

Thanks a lot everyone!

Edited by borez

Guest joi-ful

You might wanna try the AKG K81DJ.

It's reportedly the BEST closed phones around your budget...

But then again, it might be due to the FOTM syndrome. Preferably audition the cans first to see if you like it..

Senns PX200

Grado SR-60 (this is open though, sadly)

iGrados (the design puts me off, heh)

Audio Technica FC-7 (open?)

AKG K26/K27i

Koss KSC35/75

i've tried most of these cans... :)

PX200 - seems to be a hit or miss thing. It didn't fit me, so it was lousy for me. Furthermore, at about $100, it's no bargain.

SR60 - nice open sound. But size and openness means it's not a viable portable option.

iGrado - no idea what they sound like... gotta wait and see :)

FC7 - it's closed. I've tried the FC5 and it was decent, but unimpressive. FC7 has the short cord with extension system which some may find bothersome.

AKG K26/27i - same size as PX200 (ie v small cups) and same problem with fit. Also, i was unimpressed by the sound... no good.

Koss KSC35/75 - I have the KSC75 (and also a 3G iPod). Great sound and IMO, great synergy with 3G iPod. Only lack of isolation is a problem.

I'll 2nd joi-ful's recommendation of K81DJ. Of the portable closed cans i've tried, it certainly sounds the best. Only problem might be comfort.

Best thing is to audition for yourself lah :)

hmm..px200 is indeed not bad but trough my experiece if u have big head kidna hard to fit in :P

Edited by genocide

Since you like the 888, why not get another pair? Stereo Electronics carries them. One of our fellow forumer bought one at Mustafa too =)

Thanks all for the replies.

I'm thinking of getting closed cans/earbuds because I want some sound isolation when I travel on the bus.

As much as the 888s suit me, I have come to realise part of the reason why I don't enjoy my music (on the road) as much is because of the ambient noise around. Unless I get the 888s and make custom earmolds by Jaben. :)

As for the AKG K81DJ, thanks for the recommendation - but it looks quite big. Will give it a try.

Any comments about Shure E2C? I'll try to give IEMs one last try before I totally give up on them.

Understand that Stereo Electronics carrys most of the brands around, and that Hung Bros carry the AKGs and Senns. Remember during the last IT Show (in June) that Jaben carries AKG too. These are the stores that I can audition right?

Stereo Elec and Jaben definitely can audition. Hung Bros, it depends...

Where is this Stereo Electronics located?

Ah thats Stereo Electronics? I knew theres a electronic store opposite of MJ and beside the barber shop. Thanks for informing! Heading there later.

By the way, do they allow in-store testing? Or is there an exchange policy?

Edited by Slivester

I think standard 7-day exchange policy. You can check with Aron. I was told that if you encounter problem after the, let's say 7 days, you are welcome to bring it back to him and sort out your problems. However, whether you can still exchange or not really up to his shop's policy =)

But I know Aron is quite friendly and approachable, that's why you can always see him so busy running around, assisting customers, or talking over the phone. Haha...

Enjoy and I'm a satisfied customer for Stereo Electronics ;) Thanks to Aron's superior customer service by him, as well as other assistants there. You won't regret your trip there. Just approach any of them to assist you in audition.