Sign in to follow this  
nakedtoes

Power filter / conditioner

Any good power filter/ conditioner other then Xindak? Izzt right that we try not to mix US plug with UK plug?? ANy experts or no bodies with info to shares pls come in :call:

hmm...I would also like to know if a conditioner is "really"required...

Ive ever considered getting an average one, just for the piece of mind...

its been like somewhat 2+months since Ive got my belden 83803 powercord, but I havent even tried it once because I knew it was going to end up on my 6 socket "normal" powertray, together with my Pc/laptop/monitor/external HD/dvd writer/DAP charger/portableamp charger/etc, and some part of me is putting myself off until i can get a dedicated wallsocket, or an average conditioner...

getting a seperate wallsocket is kinda outa the question since Ive got a rather small room, and I believe they all run from the same main supply?

so anyone with any advice here please do chip in...

Haha, I was in the same boat as you. I had only 4 wall outlet in my room. Went around opening the outlet to check if it was star wired, den took multimeter to test which outlet had clean signal by flicking all the switches of high drain equipment. Found the main socket of my room which provided the cleanest signal (the other 3 were sharing one line rerouted from the lighting wire sockets because it is an old house) and enjoying the dedicated wall socket. I took back a furutech powerconditioner from work, and actually discern no difference on the amp outlet of the socket. Upon inspection, the amp outlet of the conditioner had no filter. Only for source were there some kind of caps and a resistor. So power conditioner is of no use for amps. There's another device, forgot the term, where you regenerate a clean ac power just for the preamp and source. I think that would be better.

Another thing I wanted to try was to build a DIY quietline to be put near high drain devices. Seems to "quiet" the electrical signals from what I've read at echoloft. But those noise suppression caps are hard to find.

A power conditioner serves to clean up the noise inherent in power supply and supposed to improve the signal-noise ratio, thus, resulting in better sound quality. However, our local power supply feed is rather stable and quiet as opposed to some countries that constantly experienced voltage swings and ripple noise. Therefore, the end result from a power conditioner in a headphone based system should be subtle than that in a high resolution speakers system.

Beware of filters like those meant for surge protection as it could result in a very constricted sound. Amps connected to such a circuit board will sound less dynamic (easily discernible especially with current angry power amps like Krell). But this detriment should be hard to discern with lower powered headamps. The Krell power amp sounded lazy and lost much of its reknown dynamics when connected to a power conditioner and actually sounded much better direct from the wall outlet.

Xindak and Bada power conditioners are good in terms of value for money but you need not spend huge amount of money on Audioprism or PS Audio and the likes, not unless you own a high end speakers system.

I currently use an Audioprism Foundation series for my speakers system and Xindak/Bada (can't recall as its hidden) for home theater system.

Edited by Mackie

Remember this, simplicity is best. Badly designed power extension boards introduce more noise than it's supposed to curtail. A power surge protection board is ideal for pc but rather dubious with audio systems.

Try this option instead, buy a sturdy UK plug extension boards (better yet if just the board; no cable) from your friendly neighborhood hardware store and attach an aftermarket power cable such as Belden to it.

IPB Image

P100升频电源,输入交流115V或220V,输出交流电压100V-120V,200V-240V可调,频率可变。分别是50赫兹,60赫兹,120赫兹,400赫兹。400赫兹是专为视频与工业而设计。输出功率100瓦。可供CD 机,DAC解码器,前级使用。比换1万元的电源线明显。

因为瓦数小,只能接在前机与CD上,工作原理是这样的,先把220交流电整成直流电,然后升频,有4个档50赫兹60赫兹120赫兹400赫兹,最好用到120以下,400赫兹时工作量瓦数太大,有点交流声,热量也大一些,,升到50---60--120--400时,再把它们送到输出变压器,最后送到电源插座输出.所以说,它把交流电完全与机器割离开来,听起来声音很柔和,背景也干净了,比换一条好的电源线有作用.国外同类产品都价格不菲.

A power conditioner serves to clean up the noise inherent in power supply and supposed to improve the signal-noise ratio, thus, resulting in better sound quality. However, our local power supply feed is rather stable and quiet as opposed to some countries that constantly experienced voltage swings and ripple noise.

That's very true. A stuck my multimeter in, and the voltage at my house is very stable at 220Vac. It's quite stable versus ROC and thailand when i was there during my NS where I had problems with stable electricity for all the electronics. Even mil spec power cables is pretty useless when you have poor source.

Well, in the end I gave up on the idea for any power conditioners since the supply at my place is quite ok.

hmm...does that mean the more "usefull" part is the filter? wah you went to open up the sockets of your house arh...sounds hardcore enough...I got only 3 sockets in my room, and I suspect all of them are shared with adjacent rooms...

Well, it's quite straight forward to check the wiring.

First, I turn off the all the circuit breakers from the outside, leaving only my room power socket intact.

Then I tested all the sockets in my room to see which is dedicated. seems lucky for me only 1 of the 4 sockets is turn on and not sharing any sockets at other places. Opened up the others to look and found the other 3 to be wired from elsewhere.

So slowing flicking 1 switch at a time, I came to discover the circuit breakers for my lights were suppling the other 3 sockets also.

Sounds abit hardcore but I did it in 20mins. lol

*THOSE UNSURE/with NO AC ELECTICAL KNOWLEDGE, PLEASE DO NOT PROCEED WITHOUT SUPERVISION*

Edited by viix

But anyone who does not have knowledge in eletrical stuff, please refrain from meddling with the wall sockets. U might end up like the wolf that suffered in the hands of the roadrunner and constantly ended up in smoke from his own ACME explosive device. :o

haha...thats pretty funny...Ive thought of doing the "switching off all circuit breakers" and turning them on one by one, but...theres at least 30 switches and it would take alot of runs between my room and the circuit box to find the correct one...and thats not to forget that it would leave the rest of the house "in the dark"

anyone wanna come help me test? :D

I did it in the evening, with my sockets plugged in with whatever lamps I have in my room. So i only need to look at my room for light coming out. you can use those non digital radios/fans/electric alarm clocks as indicators also.

Remember this, simplicity is best. Badly designed power extension boards introduce more noise than it's supposed to curtail. A power surge protection board is ideal for pc but rather dubious with audio systems.

Try this option instead, buy a sturdy UK plug extension boards (better yet if just the board; no cable) from your friendly neighborhood hardware store and attach an aftermarket power cable such as Belden to it.

Thanks for the advice.

Guess need to spend more money again.

Need at least another $20-30 for that multi plug board and not sure how much for that cable.

Would need 5metres of it.

Good Evening forumers,

How about this balanced power conditioner? :blink: Need your expert advice please.

http://www.effectiveaudiomod.com/Comp_Bal_Pwr_Sup.htm