Sign in to follow this  
nakedtoes

Power filter / conditioner

NO. Power conditioner doesn't come with cable AFAIK. so to get second hand power filters with cable supplied is quite rare at under $100..

So if I would do DIY, but with no experience or knowledge in cabling it.

Is there any place would help me to do it?

Like I get a normal uk extension tray with those multi slots, then a belden few metres cable and the plug to cable together.

A power conditioner serves to clean up the noise inherent in power supply and supposed to improve the signal-noise ratio, thus, resulting in better sound quality. However, our local power supply feed is rather stable and quiet as opposed to some countries that constantly experienced voltage swings and ripple noise. Therefore, the end result from a power conditioner in a headphone based system should be subtle than that in a high resolution speakers system.

Beware of filters like those meant for surge protection as it could result in a very constricted sound. Amps connected to such a circuit board will sound less dynamic (easily discernible especially with current angry power amps like Krell). But this detriment should be hard to discern with lower powered headamps. The Krell power amp sounded lazy and lost much of its reknown dynamics when connected to a power conditioner and actually sounded much better direct from the wall outlet.

Xindak and Bada power conditioners are good in terms of value for money but you need not spend huge amount of money on Audioprism or PS Audio and the likes, not unless you own a high end speakers system.

I currently use an Audioprism Foundation series for my speakers system and Xindak/Bada (can't recall as its hidden) for home theater system.

I saw this particular multi plug by belkin today, quite similar to the permaplugs at LHS not sure if its worth a try. Very simple and straight forward design, no led, no power on-off, just the plugs to the extension board, not sure if its gd enough.

But then again not sure if i will be able to detect the diff.

The 3-pin power plugs used in this country follow the UK standard, thus, commonly known as UK 3-pin plug.

Like any other hifi accessory, and in this case, a power conditioner may not give you much yield in sonic improvment in a headphone based system of the budget to mid range. So a trial is recommended before purchase. If one can't tell the sound difference from a power cord change, the subtle difference from a power conditioner shall be harder to discern.

Edited by Mackie

Try out the Xindak. I can't recall the shop's name but it's at Bukit Timah Plaza. The person in charge is reknowed to be rather friendly and receptive, perhaps he would allow a home trial. However, using a power conditioner in a non-cd based system would not yield much sonically. I'd rather try the board+cable option if you believe in the difference that a power cable makes.

I use AFA power extension tray, Russ Andrew Yellow power cord and a QuiteLine. Is this power conditioner? i can't feel any improvement in sound but they does look damn good.

Heard from some friend it's useless coz the power socket is shared along with other electrical stuff in the house. Unless it's a dedicated power supply direct from the db box w/o sharing power point in other room.

What do you guys think?

Edited by red

The Quietline functions more like a filter but a more refined version and produced by AudioPrism. A rather good product for the price and function.

Your friend is right but there's still benefits to be had even though the power line is not dedicated. Say you reap 30% in lower noise floor now but 100% with a dedicated power line. But think of the money U need to pump in to facilitate this. Another concern is whether your system will be able to present this subtle improvement. It's all about cost and performance.

I use AFA power extension tray, Russ Andrew Yellow power cord and a QuiteLine. Is this power conditioner? i can't feel any improvement in sound but they does look damn good.

the above isn't a power conditioner setup afaik. the quietline is a filter device. It helps if it is placed around the house near high drain devices and near light switch sockets.

Heard from some friend it's useless coz the power socket is shared along with other electrical stuff in the house. Unless it's a dedicated power supply direct from the db box w/o sharing power point in other room.

What do you guys think?

It is not useless. Supposedly quietline works best if they used around the house with a few. As of now, you are only using one so it is best to be plug in the power tray. But generally Singapore power is very clean.

If it's a dedicated power supply direct from the DB, you don't even need any power conditioning device. I've only experience bad power once at a condo near Bartley road.. so far my current place, no problem.

Singapore :thumbup:

the above isn't a power conditioner setup afaik. the quietline is a filter device. It helps if it is placed around the house near high drain devices and near light switch sockets.

It is not useless. Supposedly quietline works best if they used around the house with a few. As of now, you are only using one so it is best to be plug in the power tray. But generally Singapore power is very clean.

If it's a dedicated power supply direct from the DB, you don't even need any power conditioning device. I've only experience bad power once at a condo near Bartley road.. so far my current place, no problem.

Singapore :thumbup:

What can we expect if there is a bad power source?

Maybe what we can do is to trace all the shared power point, listen hard to our fav song with all shared power point switch on, be it a tv, fan, laptop...and listen again with everything along the line off to spot a diff. That's what i'm going to try with my mum sleep :grin:

What can we expect if there is a bad power source?

Maybe what we can do is to trace all the shared power point, listen hard to our fav song with all shared power point switch on, be it a tv, fan, laptop...and listen again with everything along the line off to spot a diff. That's what i'm going to try with my mum sleep :grin:

Bad power source then it's no use using filter/conditioner. Maybe use a power regeneator to get stabalised 220Vac? But so far power up till the power meter outside your house is very cleaned. If it's bad, it's within.

Edited by viix

How bad is bad? I simply don't think it's that bad in S'pore ie, not unless you hear crackling sound through your sound system whenever the fluorscent light is turned on. This happens in old buildings but a power filter/conditioner will not totally rectify this problem.

How bad is bad? I simply don't think it's that bad in S'pore ie, not unless you hear crackling sound through your sound system whenever the fluorscent light is turned on. This happens in old buildings but a power filter/conditioner will not totally rectify this problem.

Actually... Even in newer HDB flats, you can hear the pop when someone switches a light on or off.. That's regardless of whether you're on the same FCB or otherwise. On seperate FCB's, the pop is much softer bu it's still there.

So far, I've not discern any difference between having a power conditioner and not having one. I do have a dedicated line run into my room for my head-fi stuff though.

Actually... Even in newer HDB flats, you can hear the pop when someone switches a light on or off.. That's regardless of whether you're on the same FCB or otherwise. On seperate FCB's, the pop is much softer bu it's still there.

So far, I've not discern any difference between having a power conditioner and not having one. I do have a dedicated line run into my room for my head-fi stuff though.

Pops from flicking of light switches cannot be eliminated totally even on dedicated FCB's or from power conditioning. It will be there no matter what.

Hmm, but what about digital light dimmers.. I've seen those electronic dimmers that gradually dim the lights to off via a touchpad switch.

Edited by viix

Yes, a soft pop is always prevalent ...but what I'm referring to is the crackling sound. Say for instance, while an old fluorscent tube + failing starter struggles to light up, crackling noise can be heard through the system during this short duration.

As for dimmers, they do generate a lot of noise too. I plugged a floor standing lamp with dimmers to my power conditioner and heard a constant but low buzz through the sound system. However, the culprit could be the light bulb or dimmer or both.

As yet, I find speakers system benefits more from a power conditioner than can systems. It has to do with power consumption which is much lower by the latter.

Edited by Mackie