Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

Another CD3K vs DT880 comparison

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread....&threadid=28255

interesting. I skimmed thru it. but the essence of it seemed to be that the CD3000s (MY beloved CD3000s wub.gif) are better overall, BUT the Beyer 880s are pretty close, and at a significantly lower price. so it seems like the 880s are really good for bang-for-buck smile.gif

didn't somebody buy a pair already? any impressions?

Saw the thread... hmmm ... I sticking to my K501.

How much did you CD3000 cost you? Seem like you are buying all sorts of stuff.

I'm not buying this lah.

with my source bought, that should be the last piece of the puzzle.

DAL Carddeluxe-->MF X-can v2-->CD3000

happy.gif

cheaper than audiocubes' US$389+shipping, but still over S$600 for the CD3Ks.. sleep.gif

Sony MDR CD-3000 are really nice cans esp at that price.

But so are the K-501 at the price. Sorry, I have yet to hear a giant killer. All the lemons have been weeded out. So the AKG is good for the next 12 monts at least. Better cans add refinement usually.

But do remember the law of diminishing returns even within the same line: I use the Grado analogy here because they have a single house sound - less clear about the house/signature sound with other brands):

As you move up the grado ladder from the SR-40, 60, 80, 125, 225, 325, RS-2 and RS-1 the price to performance ratio becomes rather steep. That is you need to pay a lot more for a smaller and smaller improvement. there are three value for money jumps if you like. The SR-60 and SR-80 are much better than the SR-40. The RS-2 is better by a slightly narrower margin than the SR-325. But the SR-325 are the brightest of the range. RS-2 and RS-1 are just as detailed as the SR-325 but not as bright. The RS-1 adds a bit more air and a touch more weight to the sound so, actually if I had to do it again and had value for money considerations, I would pick the RS-2. If I had money is no object attitude, I would stick to the RS-1. If I was in school I would save up for the SR-80. If I was impatient to save up O pick the SR-60.

Getting back to the point, don't ever be dissappointed with the K-501. Hang on to them for a while - give them a few weeks to a couple of months. Maximise their potential with an equally good source and amplifier. Get decent interconnects like the Kimber PBJ (Atlas Hi-Fi), then an only then should you even think about another can. Then if you like you can upgrade to the Sony MDR-CD 3K. Maybe Ablaze could let you audition sometime.

I don't think NOrthern Oak's inflicted with terminal upgradeitis like me. sleep.gif

I think another bang for buck can, since we're on the subject is the Philips HP890. how much was it..$75? smile.gif

the best earbuds I think are the Etymotic 4 series. but thats US$269 or $580 at hung bros I think.

<$100..I think there's only one: Sony 888s. correct me if I forgot something wink.gif

I don't think NOrthern Oak's inflicted with terminal upgradeitis like me. sleep.gif

I think another bang for buck can, since we're on the subject is the Philips HP890. how much was it..$75? smile.gif

S$99 was what I saw at Hung Brothers just now.

me? no no..I can post brief impressions. I'm not good at pinpointing minute differences, I pick up a pair of cans, listen, and can tell that its different from another for eg. HOW EXACTLY different, I have great difficulty finding the words for. no.gif least I know if I like em or don't like em wink.gif

All I can say is the Etys are ,save for the discomfort (that I never really got used to, unlike some other people) and the lack of a visceral bass, one of my fav cans amongst the whole lot that I listened to

yes.gif