Sign in to follow this  
kenshin_himura

portable players

I'm pretty much a newbie myself, nothing wrong with that bud :)

Hmm, if I'm right, under normal circumstances, normal people can percieve differences in a certain frequency spectrum once the volume difference in that particular point drops or increases by at least 3dB (I'm not sure where the rest below the 3dB went, nor do I understand why they cannot be percieved *shrugs*).

The following is just what I know and think about, but being new in this field, I should be wrong in more than just several places, so feel free to correct me as and when necessary:

Falling withing that frequency spectrum volume graph drop (which is pretty much similar to the 2G, 3G, 4G, Mini iPods FYI. Theoretically, this graph is inapplicable due to the fact that its not carrying load, but rather, is connected directly to the testing system, the 3rd graph with a more realistic approach, a 32 Ohm load, is what you'd like to keep in mind) means that any kind of bass being played below the ~65Hz region can be percieved to be less in quantity than 'neutrality' (though this is debatable, since all kinds of equipment colorizes sound in one way or the other).

As some of us know, ~60Hz and slightly above is the mid-bass area, where that 'thump' is. In the term bass rolloff in this context, it generally means there's less thump than there should be under normal circumstances.

Same goes for the regions of bass below that. The extremely low bass notes (the ones that we can 'feel', rather than 'hear', I often associate that with bass extension) are what I think 'carry' the music, hence, that's why I think they're important. To have them cut in terms of volume output (aka rolloff, cutoff, falloff etc) makes them, to me, feel as if the music being played has a weak foundation, hence why people originally described the 2G, 3G, 4G and Mini iPods to be tinny/weak/lacks bass (non audio-geekoids I believe, I don't know where they tested all that and how as well).

lol. If your skin can feel the impact when using earphones/headphones , I'd like a set of whatever you are using.

For your skin to feel it. You need a subwoofer... :P

' date='8 Sep 2006, 12:36 AM' post='77633']

How is the test conducted?

They generate sound signals from 20Hz to 20kHz then they measure or compare it to something?

So what happens if there is a slight decrease in dB?

I mean do they even know what a decibel is to begin with? :grin:

thanks for that jason, u really help a lot :D

Cheers!

First use 1Vrms (example) and mark it as 0dB. Any variance in voltage during the frequency sweep, will give you the graph above.

Theoretically, this graph is inapplicable due to the fact that its not carrying load, but rather, is connected directly to the testing system, the 3rd graph with a more realistic approach, a 32 Ohm load, is what you'd like to keep in mind) means that any kind of bass being played below the ~65Hz region can be percieved to be less in quantity than 'neutrality' (though this is debatable, since all kinds of equipment colorizes sound in one way or the other).

As some of us know, ~60Hz and slightly above is the mid-bass area, where that 'thump' is. In the term bass rolloff in this context, it generally means there's less thump than there should be under normal circumstances.

32 ohm load to measure a line out is totally flawed. Minimum 10k ohm is used.

Let's look at another point of view.

If I am an artiste, I made a very nice piece of music and I want you to listen to it as close as what I have listened. I would hope that the Amp try its best not to distort any frequency or whatsoever. The objective of an audio system is try its very best to make you feel that you are listening to it LIVE.

But of course, we know that preference is subjective. "I like a lot of bass", "I like the ROCK setting on my DAP" and so on. I think we can have this freedom. But at least the source from the AMP must be clean for me to "color" it the way I want to. If it is "colored" already, it makes it difficult for me to color it the way I want.

:D

Don't know if it makes sense. :P

O_O;(!)

10k? Isn't that a bit of an overkill?

That is the bare minimum for line out. Some CDP even state in their manual line out can go as low as 5k.