Sign in to follow this  
gongkia2000

What amp to go with a UM1?

Hey guys, im new here, just got a UM1 and custom earmould imprints from Jaben, superbbbb service :D

Well though the audio quality pretty much thrashes my previous earphones, I am still looking at improving it with an amp. My budget is around $100, what is the most popular amongst sgheadphones members?

Thanks

GK2K

Hi there gongkia2000 :thumbup: Were you the young gentleman I saw yesterday?

Depending on your source (Ipod 5gen?), the UM1 can be easily driven without an amp. Some people cannot tell the difference between amped and un-amped, so your mileage may vary. So you might want to audition some to see if it makes a difference to your ears before plonking down the cash :)) Having said that, some folks in headfi.org said that the UM1 really benefits from amping -_-

For less than $100, you can give the Crossroads HP1 a try. It's a great little amp for driving low-impedance 'phones and has great battery life. Jaben carries them, but I think they're out of stock. They run about $85. Wilson mentioned that updated Crossroads will be coming, so you might want to wait a bit :P

Hi there gongkia2000 :thumbup: Were you the young gentleman I saw yesterday?

Depending on your source (Ipod 5gen?), the UM1 can be easily driven without an amp. Some people cannot tell the difference between amped and un-amped, so your mileage may vary. So you might want to audition some to see if it makes a difference to your ears before plonking down the cash :)) Having said that, some folks in headfi.org said that the UM1 really benefits from amping -_-

For less than $100, you can give the Crossroads HP1 a try. It's a great little amp for driving low-impedance 'phones and has great battery life. Jaben carries them, but I think they're out of stock. They run about $85. Wilson mentioned that updated Crossroads will be coming, so you might want to wait a bit :P

Yes I guess I was the young kid you saw :P

thanks a lot for the advice, will head down to jaben to audition it

' date='6 Sep 2006, 11:33 AM' post='77339']

scanfiend, you sure it's HP1? or was it an I? :P

Yeah. go and give all the portable amps a try.. seems like the Audiophile's corner @ VRZ doesn't give u too much options to ask around eh? I would recommend that you stretch your budget abit and give the GoVibe V5 a try.

Maybe they'll clear up the treble abit, anyone who has tried it?

I know scanfiend uses the GoVibe with his UM2s.. sound signature maybe around there too!

Cheers!

Enjoy your stay @ SgHeadphones! :D

The audiophiles in vr are still budding audiophiles :grin:

I might have the Crossroads amp to let go, once I get my hands on the LDM+.

think it better you do a direct comparision. i use this 2 amp according to my mood... LDM+ is brighter while crossroad is warmer

I did a comparison today, and yes, LDM+ is brighter but gives more details. I don't think that I will require 2 amps at the moment.