Sign in to follow this  
adhoc

DIY intro article feedback thread

hi all, if you have not noticed, i'm writing another article on an intro to DIY.

this thread is intended to gather any useful feedback from you all, my fellow forum members!

tongue.gif

To add to the thread:

Kester Eutectic solder (63/37) can be had from SLT at $15.80 for 500gm roll. The shop to buy from is at the basement, selling batteries; It's in front of the escalator going up to the 1st storey.

Kester Ag2/62/36 silver solder can also be had from Kaichin on the 3rd storey for about the same price. However, it's relatively old and some oxide has formed on the solder. It might be necessary to clean the solder (with soda water & alcohol or Deoxit) before using.

It's otherwise a good deal; Where else in Singapore can you get silver solder at $15.80 for 500gm?

I also recommend the Goot TQ-70/77 soldering gun (S$30 to S$40). It's 20W and with the depressing of the trigger, goes to 200W. This is good for soldering heat sensitive equipment (IC's & SMD components) and also good for soldering to jacks & plugs. Especially gold and rhodium (Cardas) plated contacts. These need about 60W and above to get a good joint.

Firefox,

I used a 20/200 goot iron before... it leaks current! I forgot if its the same model as your reccomendation but I advise against using that iron.

leaks current?!

w00t.gif

for soldering stations, go to kaichin, 3rd floor slt - they have 2 weller models (variable temp) that are going for a song - i bought mine more than a year ago and am extremely happy with it until i suppose a hakko falls into my hands at the same kind of price which i think is very very unlikely no.gif

It's otherwise a good deal; Where else in Singapore can you get silver solder at $15.80 for 500gm?

Firefox, last week I just went to Kaichin and they don't sell 500g silver solder. Is it they throw one side and nobody notice?

Thanks... tongue.gif

did you ASK them?

oh the small packs near to the cashier?

actually those are more than enough.

unless you're starting your own factory i dont think youll need any more.

um, a bit OT, but i read somewhere that silver is added not because silver is a more conductive metal, but because silver OXIDE is conductive.

hrmm.

actually, if you look at the reels of solder under the rack of soldering equipment, you'll find some Kester 2%Ag solder. I just bought one 250gm roll to use for my opamp replacement biggrin.gif $8.80

doesn't flow too well though. probably need a higher temp to flow..

lol.gif