Sign in to follow this  
Ahlek

How to change power cord for XS708A

Thinking of changing the captive power cord of Xiangsheng 708A to a belden cable. Does anyone have any experience on how to do it?

Are you just going to change the cord or will you be fitting the unit with an IEC socket?

More like changing the cord to something like Belden.

I don't know how a 708A is like inside (I use a 708B), but you can probably buy the required lenght of the Belden cable, unsolder the stock cable, and solder on the new cable?

Regards

CK

Are you just going to change the cord or will you be fitting the unit with an IEC socket?

Is there some shop you know that can change an IEC socket for amp or CDP?

Cheers

I've installed an aftermarket power cord to my XS 708A. Pretty easy if you know how. The stock cable is hard soldered to LIVE and NEUTRAL points of the amp. Desolder these and simply solder the new cable to these points. BROWN = LIVE, BLUE = NEUTRAL, GREEN = GROUND.

Any Belden power cable that you buy will have 3 conductors as color coded in the abovementioned. U can choose to leave the ground cable unattached (as with the stock cable) or scratch away the paint on the inside of the chassis and soldered the ground cable to it.

Last but not least, U will notice the thin stock cable is held by a kind of rubber clamp at the cable outlet of the amp. After having desoldered the cable from the joints, use a plier and squeeze the rubber clamp until the part can be removed from the outlet.

I don't know how a 708A is like inside (I use a 708B), but you can probably buy the required lenght of the Belden cable, unsolder the stock cable, and solder on the new cable?

Regards

CK

Thanks, did open up the casing and have already identified the solder point. I was hoping for some tutorial or experience as don't want to electrocute myself.

Thanks, did open up the casing and have already identified the solder point. I was hoping for some tutorial or experience as don't want to electrocute myself.

I changed the power cord of my CDP. I'm quite bad with soldering so it ended up quite messy. Some day i will probably redo it. It's not that difficult actually, I just need to practice more on my soldering. :grin:

I've installed an aftermarket power cord to my XS 708A. Pretty easy if you know how. The stock cable is hard soldered to LIVE and NEUTRAL points of the amp. Desolder these and simply solder the new cable to these points. BROWN = LIVE, BLUE = NEUTRAL, GREEN = GROUND.

Any Belden power cable that you buy will have 3 conductors as color coded in the abovementioned. U can choose to leave the ground cable unattached (as with the stock cable) or scratch away the paint on the inside of the chassis and soldered the ground cable to it.

Last but not least, U will notice the thin stock cable is held by a kind of rubber clamp at the cable outlet of the amp. After having desoldered the cable from the joints, use a plier and squeeze the rubber clamp until the part can be removed from the outlet.

Thanks for sharing. Sorry, got some more questions before I go shopping for parts:

1. Which Belden cable did you use?

2. Did you replace the rubber clamp (if it fits) after installing the Belden? I fear either pulling out the cable accidentally or the metal edge cut into the new cord.

3. How did it show after that? As a headamp and also as a preamp.

1. Not a Belden but a Perilli power cord (pro audio make).

2. No need to replace the rubber clamp as my power cord is quite thick (would be the case too if you were to use a Belden 19364) and it covers most of the outlet.

3. XS is one of the few equipment I know that improves a lot in sound quality with a power cord upgrade. But in order for this to be materialised, you must know which sonic aspect you are trying to improve on. Belden 19364 will give a fuller but slightly laid back sound with expansive soundstaging. Belden 83802 (2 core) or 83803 (3 core) will sound leaner but tighter in bass with a slight tizz in treble which will sound fine if your system lacks transparency and treble extension. It is mildly brighter than 19364.

Edited by Mackie

Mackie. Thanks for the advice. I will try changing the cord to a Belden 19364 first and experiment with the rest later, like the idea of the attributes of the cable as I am more into jazz vocals.

Just installed the XS708A with Belden cable + MK Hospital plug last night.

It sounds different both through headphone and as a preamp through my audio setup.

Can't place a finger on what's the diff, but it just sounds better and made me spend hours listening to a number of CDs ... especially good with Damien Rice's O.