Sign in to follow this  
jasonhanjk

How does my CLONE PPA sound like...

As for those had went to the meet and saw my CLONE PPA strip naked, really embarassing. Since I will be selling mine to mychew at a reasonable low price, I am really going to miss my first DIY amplifier and the past weeks I spent building it. Here goes: party.gif

CD player: Marantz CD7300

Headphone: Sennheiser HD600

CD: Perhaps perhaps perhaps (40 everlasting gems)

Spec:

Blue alps pot 100k

2% silver solder

3 OPA134 opamp

3 HA3-5002 buffer

1% resistor

9400uF Nichion capacitor per rail

power by +-12V (+-0.1V)

The last meet I am very green and did not add cap at the power rails and only have the DC-DC converter. After trying out the +-12V that I built, something totally different!!! w00t.gif

When I listen to the song-

"CD 2, pretty women"

the drum beats very accurately, like a real drum... tup tup tup

the singer felt further away, not so close infront of your face

the background piano can be heard clearly

the electric guithar rythm is nice to hear

"CD 2, blue velvet"

again the singer feel to be further away

the tump of the bass is more continues

the koir like... like don't know how to describe...

This will be last update review for this thread, it is very exhausting for newbie like me... yawn.gif

CD 2: The look of love by Dusty Springfield

At CD time of 2 minutes, the trumpet will start playing at the right headphone.

Without the PPA, the sound of the thrumpet comes from my 2 and a half o'clock.

WITH the PPA, the sounds come from my 3 to 3 1/2 o'clock. It puts the listener in the middle of the stage. More 3D effect. tongue.gif

Edited by jasonhanjk

well jason.. I suppose it's better if you can compare your clone PPA out of the cdplayer output and the amp to see how much improvement it gives.

Giving impression like this doesn't help much because it can be attributed to the hd600's sonic strength.

"CD 2, pretty women"

the drum beats very accurately, like a real drum... tup tup tup

the singer felt further away, not so close infront of your face -> laid back sound of hd600

the background piano can be heard clearly

the electric guithar rythm is nice to hear

So it doesn't make PPA stand out, IMO.

Good effort though!

Blue's suggestion is a good idea jason. First listen to those 2 tracks you mentioned straight out of the headphone out. After you have fully satisfied yourself of the sonic signature, plug in your amp & listen to the differences. Then you can decide whether the sound is improved by the amp. Make sure you do the comparison back to back i.e. one after the other.

nice one...jason..maybe you should try this first. If your PPA doesn't seems to improve the sound quality more compares to your CDP, then i think it would just act as a volume booster. This is what i was told by those golden ear. They really ask me not to buy any amp as my HD 202 is not capable to differentiate the improvement in sound quality and an amp for my cans also might only acts as a volume booster. These sound reasonable to me. That's why members here also encourage me to audit your PPA first before i order one from you.

Let me put it this way mychew, I own a pair of Koss KSC35 & I believe it is not even categorised as an audiophile grade headphone. It sounds fairly good on it's own even straight out of a PCDP's headphone out. When I used the line out & amped with a CHA47 amp (higher model to the CMOY amp and below the META42 amp), it improved the sound significantly. The reknowned big bass sound is tightened up giving more control, punch & vocals are less recessed.

I'd seriously doubt that the clone PPA with your HD202 will be merely amplifying just the volume of the sound, unless you intend to feed it directly from your source's headphone out. This was what I meant by my earlier remark about going for the CMOY now which is alot cheaper & suits your present source.

At the end of the day it's your choice. Have fun auditioning it, you have nothing to lose but a little bit of your time. Your golden ear-ed friends need to have an open mind, bring them along & let them hear for themselves before discounting it off completely.

Nice one smile.gif at least somebody is standingat my side. By the way, the CMOY is not suitable for my HD 202. This is what i was told by jtfoo. He said an Apheared 47 (i think this is the correct name) would be much more better. But when talking about jason's clone PPA, he suggest me to go for it, coz it can really help much more than what A 47 and CMOY can do. For the Koss EQ50, i think i can forget it, coz the quality at that kind of low price won't give much satisfaction to me. Somemore, people are telling me that it has hissing sound in the background. And if only for portable use and don't request much of the sound quality, i would go for it. But, i'm really more concern about the sound quality, anything else is optional..main problem is sound quality and i'm affordable to own one. For my source, laptop is a bit too low-end and lousy source. I would use it for the DVD player at home as well. But i'm thinking of getting a source upgrade after the amp, if someone can offer me an affordable price...but when it comes to better sound quality, i would consider it as well.

if the boss still offer me to audit the Koss EQ50, i would still go for it but won't buy it i think. But i will try to write a review on it here and suggestions;)

N@Z, thanks a lot for your help. Sure will bring them along if they r free and Mackie allows me to do so headphone.gif

I know it's my choice ot go for, anyway, still need to do audition on it before i lay my hand on it. Dun want to waste money if the sound quality doesn't seems significant to me tongue.gif

I think Mackie would write a review on the audition?I think maybe he would love to share how that PPA works with his setup, but probably excluding mine. Coz my cans really cant write much about no.gif

Some have started with a lot lesser

Can elaborate more..hehe...i'm really really a newbie blush.gif ...sometime i really cant get what u all mean. so i need some elaboration on it tongue.gif

it makes me more comfortable here....coz u guys r really nice...thanks go to Blues too. as he is the one who leads me here...hehe...

matbon0013, u help me a lot too, can u remember?like buying an amp...u had give me a lot of feedback ;)waiting to audit jason's PPA

btw, did u mean that someone start with more lower-end cans?tongue.gif

Edited by mychew

btw, did u mean that someone start with more lower-end cans?tongue.gif

i think that's what mat meant wink.gif

ah, mychew don't mention it.. blush.gif

well about writing review.. everyone starts from scratch.. noone is audiophile by birth(I believe). You need to listen alot and overtime you will know how to differentiate and what to look out for.

Take me for example. A year ago I know nuts about headphones as I was just starting.. eH2270 sounded like gold to me. But now.. it sounded like .. turd? tongue.gif

One can have a modest system but a good flair in listening and writing review, for example. So.. take it easy yeah laugh.gif

Be cool.. be blues wink.gif