Sign in to follow this  
theory_87

Updated iPods

Hey! You dudes no need to sleep? 2am, 3am and 6am posts. LOL! :DD

Theory 87, should the new iPod Video be 6G instead? Since the first generation of videos is named the 5G iPods. :))

I saw the prices. Damn! You can say they are dirt cheap comparing with the old prices.

New Shuffle 1GB : 139

Old Shuffle 1GB : 179

iPod Nano V2 4GB : 348

iPod Nano V1 4GB was 400++

iPod Mini 4GB was also 348 then.

However i saw 8GB iPod Nano price = iPod 30 GB @ 428

I think these new players are up for a grab. I think the angry peeps would be the one who bought their first generation Nanos at a much higher cost. -_-

*Prices are in Singapore Dollars.

the one angry will be those who bought during comex... haha... sure will jump up from their seat on seeing the prices. new ipod should be 5.5Gen as some people in headfi call them...

wow. they;re quite cheap hey, compared to the prices before. their design's real cool! lol, but wonder if the batt of this new gen is improved or still like before...

Yup, the Nano was announced to have 24/25 hours per charge. Only the black one comes with 8gig. Colored ones are 4gigs and the grey is 2. I was hoping for a blue 8gigger. But well, at least its thinner, better battery life and alloy body spells better durability and less prone to scratches (if they used the same matrial from the Mini). And these have the design of the previous minis. So I guess we'll call them Ninis (Nano + Mini) :D. The bumped down prices are smart considereing Sansa, Samsung, iRiver etc will breath down Apple's neck with better features in the weeks to come.

Nope, the real Ipod Video (6th gen) is still having technical difficulties and may not see the light of day till first quarter of '07. This 80 gig model is published 5.5 gen. :bash:

Edited by dryspell

rockbox still provides more games/options than the current newly lauched 5.5g fw. I don't see a point in updates for the current 5g.

The new ipod 5g firmware can be updated to old 5g ipods or not? and the games included? lol?

If can maybe we can dual-boot like Rockbox...

As for the battery life,my ipod is now higher than the 5.5G cause i got a Belkin clip-on external battery{about 10+hrs more for Video playback} from Amazon....

Brighter Screen would be a minor upgrade for me since i could still View Movies in Mrt with the old ipod 5G clearly....

Download latest Itune 7.0 for gapless playback and brigthness ccontrol on your Ipod 5G......

There is a new firmware for Ipod 5G.....

trying it now...

Cool man...

Edited by dle4e_2005

Well IMHO, i'm not entirely impressed by the new series of players. By copying the colors and presentation of the mini, the nano has kinda lost its uniqueness that has made it such a hit. Its like taking 2 steps forward and one step back, u know what i mean? :blush:

I just feel that legacy of the ipod mini should be left alone and Apple should think out of the box to improve the design of the nano rather than sticking to the mentality of "don't re-invent the wheel". The 2nd Gen shuffel IMO is more eye-catching as it was a major make over as compared to the 1st Gen. As a consumer, i would want a product to be beyond my expectation while meeting it is the bare minimum. (I know people would say "C'mon there's already nothing much to improve on" but keep in mind they are a USD8 billion company.)

And a 8Gb Nano costing the same as a 30Gb ipod video for $249? If i'm not wrong, prices of flash memory chips are getting much cheaper thus, the Nano is overpriced. Also, for me i would rather choose the larger disk space of the video than over compact size of the Nano.

The ipod video on the other hand is regarded as a 5.5 Gen rather than a 6 Gen. Like what dryspell said the 6 Gen is having some tech difficulties and may not see the light till 1st Qtr 2007. I guess its pure marketing gimmicks to pacify and whet the appetite of buyers. I would rather wait for the 6 Gen man :party:

I hoped i don't offend any ipod fans out there but this is how i see it. I've always been a fan of the ipod but for this time round,i'm kinda disappointed. Pls don't flame me. :DD

Anyway i'm gunning for the 6 Gen!! Need more disk space!! :grin:

Cheers

indeed.kindda of agree with what nu_omega said, im also quite dissapointed with the products lauch this time round, maybe except the shuffle :grin:

although memory chips are costing less now, but 4gb onwards are still expensive (think along harder to yield and less demand) , thus the price for the 8gb nano i find it quite reasonable , u sacrifice storage space for smaller player and less problems as compared to a hdd dap.

so for now. we shall wait for the real 6th gen ipod. :party:

I also wanna state the obvious that Creative now will have a bit of a headache since they have just updated the ZVM and aside from being significantly thicker and heavier, doesn't have as much beef as the 80 gig ipod and still has the bigger price tag. I dunno if Creative saw this coming and has countermeasures to resolve this but nevertheless, in the few weeks ahead, things will be interesting. Its either Creative will bump down their msrp on the 60 gig ZVMs or they'll pull something out of their sleeves as well. If they do, they better do it fast. I was quite intrigued with how Creative stuck Apple last year when the ZVM was released with the better screen clarity and resolution. Now, I was surprised of how Creative got ahead of themselves last week.