Sign in to follow this  
theory_87

Updated iPods

Is it just me or has the battery life of Ipod 5 Gen just got a hell lot better after upgrading it to Ver 1.2 :s

you mean video playback or music playback?

Just now try playback at the highest brightness level,playback time is still the same as last time...

i later going to try what is the video playback time if the brightness level is set to the lowest...

Both. I've run my ipod straight up for 8 hrs after the update and it's still going :s.. at the time of update it was at half battery life ... and i've been continuously playing vids and songs...in different combos... it's astonishingly different from what it was :s

Edited by kursed

Both. I've run my ipod straight up for 8 hrs after the update and it's still going :s.. at the time of update it was at half battery life ... and i've been continuously playing vids and songs...in different combos... it's astonishingly different from what it was :s

That's an interesting discovery. But honestly, I doubt the firmware is responsible for the newer Ipod's battery life difference. The newer Ipods utilize a different kind of hardware, specifically a Sigmatel processor chip which explains the battery life despite the improvement of the screen's resolution "60% brightness".

But nevertheless, your discovery is quite intriguing. And if more people will have similar observations with their 5gen ipods with the latest firmware, that'll be a nice reason for those the own the 5th gen to hold on to their accounts and wait a bit more for the real 6th gen ipod video.

I got an idea. Those 5g ipod owners that still have warranty should dip their ipods in water, dry it, and complain about a mulfunction. 1 to 1 exchange might just get u a new 1!!!

Guest joi-ful

I got an idea. Those 5g ipod owners that still have warranty should dip their ipods in water, dry it, and complain about a mulfunction. 1 to 1 exchange might just get u a new 1!!!

You just have got to be every manufacturer's biggest nightmare! :DD

hmmm...on second thoughts, i wonder how the ipod video will look like if Apple issue them in lets say 2 or 3 different colours other than the black and white or the minis solid colours.

Maybe Gunmetal, Plasma or Faded Olive. (colours with more than one tone) ;)

Too many colours will be an overkill though. Just a wild thought. lol

Edited by Nu_Omega

The newer Ipods utilize a different kind of hardware, specifically a Sigmatel processor chip which explains the battery life despite the improvement of the screen's resolution "60% brightness".

hmm... how do you know which processor the new iPods are using? i can't find that info anywhere... also, any ideas on how it impacts sound quality?

hmm... how do you know which processor the new iPods are using? i can't find that info anywhere... also, any ideas on how it impacts sound quality?

iLounge... there's a ton of discussion going on so I'll try if I can find you the link. The discussion boiled down to some people's skepticism of the older Shuffle's sq to be replaced by the newer one. Some argued that the Sigmatel chip used on the older shuffle was never utilized again on the newer iPods starting iPod Photo to the present due to marketing misdealings between Apple and Sigmatel. This also explains why iPod was never able to produce the kind of sound the old shuffle presented. Then somebody in iLounge gave a news link article from three months back or sometime about Apple once again making dealings with Sigmatel and burchasing a bulk of processor chips (also chips that have perpendiculary memory compatibility which clearly spells iPods Videos 6th Gen). On the same week, Apple made dealings with Samsung's 8 gig flash drives (the new Nano we see). So putting all pieces together, this is clearly how Apple was able to pull out a lower priced

Fow sound quality, we'll see from early lemmings how the new units will compare to the previous ones if Apple swapped the Wolfson to Sigmatel. Apparently, the Sigmatel chips will (or already are) be used by Cowon iAudio while Samsung already has it in their Z5 flash players.

Edited by dryspell

^

Waittaminute, doesn't that somehow mean that the newer Nanoes utilize the Sigmatel chipsets as well?

This is certainly good news IMO :D

zeph, getting the new nano if it sound good? haha... my 1st Gen nano with rockbox is keeping me happy... haha

X2. I think the last buying factor for me is the sound. If the sound is better (or even on par with the previous Nano) I'm in. It will take a while for Rockbox but still, it'll come.

And Zeph, yup, word is, it is 'a' Sigmatel chip although different numbering from the previous Shuffle chip. Time will tell if the sound is good. I'm all eyes in head-fi who can give a proper opinion and comparison. For this codec chip, the Samsung Z5 Sigmatel chip is soooo full and clear out of the E500. It even edges my beloved A2 (which Austin at DapReview said sounds better than the X5). iPod has a different chip although still from Sigmatel. Arghhh I'll be a bit pissed if Apple held off their Sigmatel chips for the later generation and not on the new Nano. I'm all set for the 8gigger nano while waiting for other 8gigs to surface from iRiver, Cowon and Samsung. It'll be a fun six months as new players roll in the markets.

anyway i tested the battery life of my ipod 5G 30gb v1.2

Battery life of video playback:

full brightness=about 2hour

lowest brightness=about 3hour and a half

In others words,the battery life apple gave yesterday is based on the lowest brightness setting....

Edited by dle4e_2005

Maybe getting one, but I'll have to see about my financial conditions then first :rclxub:

Also hoping the Rockbox team will be working on the new Nano as well.

If anything, I think I'll get hte black coloured one :D

Problem is, I still am a bit iffed by the rounded edges of the new Nano. The Shuffle's extremely small size is also very tempting though. Lookit how tiny that thing is :D

Just random fill library with iTunes and away we go :)