Sign in to follow this  
heady

Building the amp5

Hi kross and ckng - bought the input caps, Solen 3.3 uF from Well Audio, $4 each. Also got some nice Japan made speaker cable terminals and a casing from Bytetron. The casing is $40. Not so pro looking, black painted steel except front panel is brushed aluminium with handles. Don't like the handles but otherwise look ok. No time to shop around.

Here you are. Thanks for the respect. Not offended if you call me uncle. :) The casing I bought is the one with the chrome panel.

[attachmentid=3607]

[attachmentid=3606]

PICT0726.jpg

Bytetron_casing.jpg

Edited by heady

I kinda like this one :

IPB Image

They are based in Thailand and also has several other casings.

http://www.atiresearch-anodized.com/products.html

I asked for a quote. Not cheap. The shipping is very expensive.

Hello CK,

Thank you for to interested in the ATI Research products,

The pricing quite in the US dollars.

SHIPPING METHODS :

1) Express mail (delivered time : 3-5 days)

2) Surface mail (delivered time : a month or longer)

PAYMENT METHODS :

1) via bank transfer (T/T)

2) PayPal

PRICING :

ATI-661U 1 unit = $56

SHIPPING COST (choose for one) :

Shipped by Express mail = $46

Shipped by Surface mail = $28

Thank you!

Best regards,

Arthon

ATI Research Company Limited

www.atiresearch-anodized.com

I also asked for some other options. Shipping more than one obviously has some savings, but still on the high side :(

ATI-661U 3 units = $168 (ATI-661U 1 unit = $56)

Service for drilled holes = $24 (each case = $8)

Power switch on/off = $3 (each power switch on/off = $1)

Power switch button knob = $3 (each knob = $1)

Large knob = $18 (each knob = $6)

PS: I don't know the diameter for selector hole to drill on the front panel. Is it same as the volume knob or not?.

SHIPPING COST (choose for one) :

Shipped by Express mail for 3 ATI-661U = $62

Shipped by Surface mail for 3 ATI-661U = $38

Anyone knows where to get nice casings like that? :)

Regards

CK

Hi guys, ya..i kind of like ck's recommendation. but it is overseas....hmmm

anyway, i am thinking...is it recommended to get such a big casing?? the pcb is quite compact right? only the transformer is quite big. so who has started building? i have yet to order the transformer.

heady, the terminals are for banana female plugs??

Hi guys, ya..i kind of like ck's recommendation. but it is overseas....hmmm

anyway, i am thinking...is it recommended to get such a big casing?? the pcb is quite compact right? only the transformer is quite big. so who has started building? i have yet to order the transformer.

heady, the terminals are for banana female plugs??

I have yet to start nor order the transformer. Still deciding between external or internal power supply (i.e. transformer). The casing from Thailand looks damned good. Check out their gallery of DIY stuff using their casings!

http://www.atiresearch-anodized.com/diy%20gallery.html

Regards

CK

hmm..i suddenly got an idea while bathing...haha

maybe we can buy those spoilt cdps and make use of their casings instead? would be cheaper like that and won't look too bad too...

CK, maybe we should organise a trip to Bangkok to collect the casing. :grin: I know a great place for dimsum. Forgotten the road name but my hotel was near it.

I got the cheaper casing cos I am not sure of the sound from the amp5. Hoping to pair it with the SOHA as the preamp.

Topgun, I was thinking of getting some bolts to replace the handles. They do serve a function to hold the front panel. Maybe gold plated bolts? :DD

Kross, the terminals accept banana and bare wire.

Edited by heady

i am also thinking of using the soha as a pre...maybe i try my other hybrid first...

u guys not serious in going Thailand just for that case right??...although Thailand is a great place to shop and relax.

Just kidding kross, although I won't mind going back for a makan fest. Great food.

CK, can you share your toroid winding technique? Don't want to get into problems winding the little thingy.

Thanks.

Just kidding kross, although I won't mind going back for a makan fest. Great food.

CK, can you share your toroid winding technique? Don't want to get into problems winding the little thingy.

Thanks.

What I did for the AMP3 toroids is to put in the first turn, pull tight, wind 2nd turn, pull tight, wind 3rd turn etc until the number of turns are completed. You have to make sure all the turns are tight. Otherwise the wire might not be long enough. I *think* if you have a bench clamp it will make things easier as you can clamp the first turn there and wind the rest. :)

Have you started building?

Regards

CK

Thanks CK, I have not started building yet - work very busy. But have checked the components and have read and noted the built instructions up until the power check.

I thought I will do the little things like the toroid first with whatever little free time I have.

Edited by heady

Thanks CK, I have not started building yet - work very busy. But have checked the components and have read and noted the built instructions up until the power check.

I thought I will do the little things like the toroid first with whatever little free time I have.

Same here. Been busy and weekend too tired. :P Wonder if kross has started...

Regards

CK

Same here. Been busy and weekend too tired. :P Wonder if kross has started...

Regards

CK

hi guys, I have not started, neither have I even opened to take a look because quite busy over the weekend. I don't like to start and stop halfway so wanted to find a few days when I am free to start doing it. So is it hard to get it started?

Heady, you very on leh....so fast bought the caps, casings, and transformer liao and have started looking at the manual. I think I am going to print the manual out today.

Cheers.

Heady, you very on leh....so fast bought the caps, casings, and transformer liao and have started looking at the manual. I think I am going to print the manual out today.

Some times get very down from work pressure so take out the kit and chill out by looking at the stuff. Weird behaviour right? :))

I have to go to Sim Lim very often because I do IT support and my office is 5mins by car from Farnell. :)) So, easy to pick up the stuff.

Some times get very down from work pressure so take out the kit and chill out by looking at the stuff. Weird behaviour right? :))

I have to go to Sim Lim very often because I do IT support and my office is 5mins by car from Farnell. :)) So, easy to pick up the stuff.

now that is what i call passion... :))

hmmm...so maybe heady is the one who is the one who will be our SLT runner in future.... :grin: