Sign in to follow this  
evo

recommend me some classic rock

i have only heard the few famous tunes by these guys

like to listen to some of the seminal albums from these bands

rather want to avoid compilations

i have "best of" albums from deep purple and queen, and although they're good, it just doesn't sound cohesive, plus once i have these albums, not likely to delve deeper

here are the bands

led zepplin

AC/DC

pink floyd

black sabbath

u can recommend me bands other than those on the list too

put down the album name and why it's that good

for e.g. i was told that pink floyd's "dark side of the moon" is a great piece of work, but i don't really know why

I can recommend the albums but don't ask me why they're good. Your taste is not my taste.

Pink Floyd

I won't really classify them as Classic Rock more like "outer space" music. Hard to get into but once you get into it, it won't let go and you wonder why the other bands even bother.

My favourites

Meddle

Dark Side Of The Moon

Wish You Were Here

Animals

The Wall

If you want a bit more accessible then try their later albums

A Momentary Lapse Of Reason

The Division Bell

And if you are feeling really adventurous then can try (don't say I didn't warn you)

The Piper At The Gates of Dawn

For Led Zeppelin try

I

II

III

IV

When you first hear them you will find the music a bit dated and wonder what's so special but this is THE band which pioneered many of the riffs and music styles that is later heard in many many other bands.

Personally if you want accessible classic rock then try Scorpion especially their earlier albums

Fly To The Rainbow

In Trance

Virgin Killer

Blackout

You can really play air guitar with those. Very accessible and you'll be humming in no time. Slow rock doesn't get better than this.

But if you want the ultimate air guitar then you should try

Yngwie Malmsteen

Joe Satriani

Sorry too many albums from them for me to remember but theirs are the ultimate air guitar.

Mannnn... this is my forte at one time!

Don't forget Deep Purple, Rainbow, Whitesnake, Van Halen, Michael Shenker Group, the Eagles, Lynrd Skynrd the list goes on I can't remember the rest... some of the above mentioned are good too esp. Led Zeppelin, scorpions, Black Sabbath, AC/DC & Pink floyd. Early Ozzy is good too his lead guitaris it fantastic.

Make sure it is the older ones & not the newer releases say pref 90's.

thanx

think i'll start with pink floyd and led zepplin

actually i don't mind something eclectic

btw i suppose these are available on CD?

any recommendations on where to get them?

If you read up Deep Purple then you will find that the Band has very interesting history of parallel side steps and cross overs of band members.

Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore

Whitesnake - David Coverdale

DIO - Ronnie James Dio etc etc etc.

The music is just easy to follow, All of them I like and all of them I can recommend. headphone.gif

Yes you should be able to get the back catalogue from major music stores. If you can, try to get the proper remasters which have better sound quality.

How can I forget early Metallica & Megadeth! Ride the lightning, Masters of Puppets these are not classic rock but as the early proponents of this genre it is a must have in any headbanger's collection. The guitar licks are awesome! I have all of metallica's albums on LP up to the black album!

what about X-japan?

great drum by yoshiki and beautiful guitar play by Hide laugh.gif

the legendary japan rock band!! party.gif

well certainly not x-japan mat!

Nowadays the rock band are pretty much junk... but if you were to listen to yoshiki's(x japan leader) composition.. it's hauntingly beautiful..

my fav are: rusty nails, kurenai, bad blood

fav ballads: forever love, endless rain, tears

Blues Guy, I mean the (sticking to the Classic Rock Topic) Band Called 'LOUDNESS' from Japan. IIRC they had their japanese Lead Singer replaced by an American can't remember who though.

Sorry for the confusion, I don't blame you. It was before your time! yawn.gif

Edited by matbon0013

Never saw the appeal of Loudness. I felt they lacked depth in their repitoire.

Ohh... talking about glam rock... KISS!!! Now what a band! Certainly not 2 dimensional! Classic tunes Beth, I was made for lovin' you. Man, I was a hippie back then!

thanx

think i'll start with pink floyd and led zepplin

actually i don't mind something eclectic

btw i suppose these are available on CD?

any recommendations on where to get them?

All Pink Floyd albums can be found on CD. Led Zeppelin too but you have to hunt a bit. A good selection would be in HMV but they are very ex. Gramaphone should have a good selection too for a bit much cheaper.

dont forget the solos of rage against the machine!! i dont have the audioslave cd yet, so dunno if they are solos there.