Sign in to follow this  
Tristram

iCute Amps Beyond, Battery II and Little Country

Hi, I am interested to find out more about the cute & fun looking amps. I briefly tried the battery one at Jaben. Understand from the Firestone website Beyond is latest update and Little Country is Tube amp. My home rig is a Panasonic PCDP SL-CT720, BlackEmperor or Cardas HP-1 Interconnect to Beyer DT990. Currently stressing a LDM+. Before I go Jaben to test again, any brother/sister here can offer advice?

Have a happy weekend,

Tristram

I have the Beyond hooked up to a Panasonic CT820 as well as to an ancient Sony PCDP via line-outs using Audioquest RCA to mini cables. I switch from the Panasonic to the Sony from time to time :P

It sounds fantastic with my AKG K601! The Beyond is a Class A amp, so it runs hot. The Battery is a Class AB and runs a lot cooler. The Battery has 2 internal 9V Nimh rechargeables inside that is charged whenever you plug in the AC adaptor. It's good if you want your amp to be portable. I had no need for portability because it's for my bedside listening, so I used the Beyond instead. No charging circuits mean no additional complexity within the amp and less electronic noise :P

Funky looks aside, quality is extremely high for the 2 Firestone amps. I have personally used the Battery and Beyond before settling for the Beyond. They feature adjustable gain, and the volume pot is smooth as silk. Absolutely dead silent, even when used with my UM2's :P If you're a tweaker you can even swap out the opamp chips to modify the sound. They even thoughtfully provide an allen key for you to open the case.

I highly recommend these amps. Give them a go :D Fantastic value, especially if you try to bargain with Wilson a bit :))

As the saying goes..."different folks, different strokes"

The best is to bring your sources and cans down there sit back, enjoy the great hospitability of Wilson and give those amps a test.

I've been using the Cute Beyond and the Fubar II and is loving every minute of the music that i'm listening to. Saw the Little Country yesterday but did not have the time to give it a try (The day will come very soon though). Size wise, the Little Country is the size of 2 Cute Beyonds stacked up together. What can i say? COMPACT! Firestone Audio really knows how to make their products industrial-like but yet blend in some cuteness in them.

Price wise the Little Country is of course gonna cost more than the Cute Beyond. But like what scanfiend said, prices offered by Wilson will be competitive and friendly.

Hope you enjoy audition. Cheers!

Wahhh... thanks brothers, very happy to get your advices, even though some are too technically chim for me as per now. I do roughly get the ideas... :)

Will go down next week to test the cute babies out, hopefully got stock... can get to chat and learn from Uncle Wilson, as well as try out the toys there, maybe even meet up some more brothers... ok, or sisters also (not sexist)

Wonder if I should get the icute and drop the LD2+ MO or go for both... ($$$???), but seriously concerned about the exposed tubes as nosey nephew and niece running around weekends... somemore will surely next try to get better source like a desktop CDP... siong. (Sigh)This is really a money-draining ear-fetish black-hole that I'm happily being sucked into... help. ;P

Hi Top-Gun,

U mean the LED light colour to differentiate, since not the coloured faceplates? Then how come davidcsk2112 posted on 22 Jul 2006, 05:24 PM in his thread WTS: Firestone Audio iCute Beyond Class A that the blue light is flickering? Beyond is Yoda/Luke -Green... Encore is Darth... Battery is Obi-Wan??? :)

Edited by Tristram

Hi Top-Gun,

U mean the LED light colour to differentiate, since not the coloured faceplates? Then how come davidcsk2112 posted on 22 Jul 2006, 05:24 PM in his thread WTS: Firestone Audio iCute Beyond Class A that the blue light is flickering? Beyond is Yoda/Luke -Green... Encore is Darth... Battery is Obi-Wan??? :)

The Beyond has a way too bright green LED :P The Battery II has a blue LED.

Yeah, like what Top-Gun said, that's the only way to tell them apart, there's no external markings or anything. Unless you remove the housing and look at the PCB :)) It's etched onto the PCB in large letterings :grin:

i like the iCute to go with my UM2. (gives extra details, tightens the bass and opens the soundstage)

and Little Country to go with my MS2. (even more natural sounding.. warm and less harsh)

Hi all,

I've bought the Beyond sometime back. Also, done quite a few "Transistor opamp" rolling and mods.

Will share with pics some day when I've got the time.

Rgds

' date='18 Sep 2006, 01:39 AM' post='79092']

home and powerful amp? Beyond it is!

It sure is... Thanks to all brothers who highlighted the finer details to me before this impulsive purchase (Wilson will insist I was not impulsive, hahaha. :)

My 2nd Precious within a week! ... (after my Beyer DT990 & blown my budget for some time) Thanks to Wilson for being "friendly" on both occasions. So now I am really a poorer but happy man.

And btw, madsumm please kindly share your "Transistor opamp" rolling and mods pics and experience. I am keen to learn/know. Gracias.

Now to burn in my little precious-es,

A‧dieus amigos.

Was burning in the iCute Beyond and enjoying the process... I felt some current when adjusting volume knob... and touching the top and sides. I tried my test pen and it lit up! Did not felt this way when testing the demo piece at the shop.

Otherwise, the amp is performing ok while burning it in.

Just want to check if this is normal or any dangers?

Regards,

Tristram

Edited by Tristram

' date='20 Sep 2006, 10:07 AM' post='79363']

Maybe you should try positioning the amp on some hard surface.. not like on the bed or carpet where static electricty can build up.. and the whole iCute amp is all metal from head to toe..

I had that experience when I used it as a bedside (it was on my bed, next to pillow) setup.

Cheers!

Since I brought back, I'd only used it on my desktop "formica" surface on the non-slip mat. Today morning tried again and did not detect the currents for a while, will try somemore later... b4 just running back to Wilson.

I feel the Beyond consistently more power (maybe that's what a Class A Amp does) as conpared to the Battery II which is more conveniently portable. I did envisage earlier to put on bed or carry around, but I can't see myself using the open 990s everywhere. For that usage, It would prob be next project (more like next budget) with a Xin super macro or mini... as battery powered ones should be safer.

Now I am very contented with my modest setup of the DT990 with it. It really adds a new lease of life to my music cds as I run them through again.Cheers.

Bro,sorry :sign0006: here.

How the iCute Battery II performance compared to Little Dot M+?

:14-00000002:

As what i know, cannot compare becos LDM+ not in same class. iCute cost few times the price of LDM+. It is a good amp for its price, size and performance. The LDM+ battery seems to run on forever... mine still not charged once, as it came already charged from the MO. According to some of the brothers, it lasts > 100 hrs. Cons basically due to its tiny size :

1) vol knob diff to turn (too small & smooth surface)

2) cannot really drive high impedance cans well enuf

3) sound not as warm as I would have like

but at its price & portability, one really cannot complain.

The iCute on the other hand, has plenty of potential (as i just got it). The volume control is smooth as silk, and power is much better. The Battery II model is conveniently portable (not pocket though), looks good & cute, and batteries think lasts 10 - 12 hours? Maybe you can check @ firestone amp webpage or with uncle Wilson @ Jaben.

Cheers,

Tristram

Edited by Tristram