Sign in to follow this  
belgarion

Recommendation for ear canal phones with good isolation <$200

dear all,

i'm looking for ear canal phones with good isolation, my budget is not more than $200.. do u guys have any recommendations ?

currently i'm considering Etys Er-6i , however hope to have more options to select from :)

Edited by belgarion

Westone UM1,

Altec Lanseng im716,

Audio Technica CK7,

Ultimate Ears Super fi. 3 studio.

(perhaps) E2c (not many would recommend this, due to its muddy bass)

Those would be the more recommended models. (other than the ER6i)

I have only tried the UM1 and love it for its great design (fits in the ear rather well) and beautiful midrange. There is also a decent, tight, bass-slam for any IEM.

The im716 seems to be a great deal (especially for one who loves Etymotic. It is said to be in between the ER6 and ER4 in terms of sound), in fact, one of the best for IEMs, and cost less than any of the other choices (except the CK7), if you can get it cheap at Amazon. Sadly though, it is not sold in Singapore.

This would probably help (it also includes other canalphoens/IEMs)

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=5714

Edited by aaron-xp

The im716 seems to be a great deal (especially for one who loves Etymotic. It is said to be in between the ER6 and ER4 in terms of sound), in fact, one of the best for IEMs

provided it in HD mode. if in Bass mode, it sound like E4 with more bass slam

The lowest octave that can be heard (20Hz to 40Hz) virtually has no energy in most music. The lowest note on a bass has a fundamental frequency of about 41 Hz. So this first octave contains such things a "room rumble" ( i wonder if there is something like a ear rumble....) and the lowest notes of a pipe organ. The second octave (40 Hz to 80Hz) contains the fundamental frequencies of the low bass notes and the Kick drum so 60Hz would still be in the low bass dept and 80Hz to 160Hz being the mid bass section.

i don quit get this.. how should i do it if i decide to buy this altec lansing earphones ;)

register a account with vpost. order im716 from amazon with vpost add. after you receive email from amazon about the im716 order details, forward it to vpost. vpost will contact you again to pay the shipping cost once they receive the im716 from amazon. pay and they will ship it over to SG

The lowest octave that can be heard (20Hz to 40Hz) virtually has no energy in most music. The lowest note on a bass has a fundamental frequency of about 41 Hz. So this first octave contains such things a "room rumble" ( i wonder if there is something like a ear rumble....) and the lowest notes of a pipe organ. The second octave (40 Hz to 80Hz) contains the fundamental frequencies of the low bass notes and the Kick drum so 60Hz would still be in the low bass dept and 80Hz to 160Hz being the mid bass section.

Oops.... i'm wrong... haha... anyway, im716 does have tight and fast bass. bass extension reach to the 40Hz region as far as my ear can hear...

I'm curious, how does 40Hz sound like and what musical instrument were you listening to? I have mostly felt vibration and perhaps a low rumble or drone when a 40Hz signal was fed to a subwoofer but have not had the experience in hearing it through cans though. Hmmm....maybe I should experiment by feeding the same signal to my cans system.

Edited by Mackie