scanfiend

The Sennheiser Orpheus

Orpheus... soundstage definitely very wide! Vocals very smooth, very engaging.... If only i have 20k......:shocking:

I believe the currency should be stated as USD :grin:

It was retailing at about USD15,000 before production stopped. Obviously, due to the rarity (only 300 units were ever built), the price would scale up accordingly. A mint condition Orpheus could probably comfortably fetch SGD40,000++ :grin:

I believe the price rose a lot after it stopped production. I think don't the cost of the materials though, as for all audio products, should be really high, at most 1-2K.

And since when the final price of high-end audio products are determined by the cost of its component parts anyway? The manufacturers charge as high as the market can bear. :P

I believe the currency should be stated as USD :grin:

It was retailing at about USD15,000 before production stopped. Obviously, due to the rarity (only 300 units were ever built), the price would scale up accordingly. A mint condition Orpheus could probably comfortably fetch SGD40,000++ :grin:

And since when the final price of high-end audio products are determined by the cost of its component parts anyway? The manufacturers charge as high as the market can bear. :P

Why did senns stop production if the headphones were that great?

And why they have'nt gotten around to make another as such?

Sorri for this bombardement of questions, just wanted to know.. :sweat:

Why did AKG discontinue the K1000 since it was so popular, just as it is now?

I believe that it creates the "exculsivity" so that the headphone is THE item to get. The K1000s have become so popular after discountinuation, and so has other limited edition stuff, like the HF-1. The HE90 was probably a one-off experiment for Sennheiser to test the extreme high-end electrostats market.

the k1000 are also made out of interest and small quantity.

and they are nt profitable, thats y they r being halt.

Why did AKG discontinue the K1000 since it was so popular, just as it is now?

I believe that it creates the "exculsivity" so that the headphone is THE item to get. The K1000s have become so popular after discountinuation, and so has other limited edition stuff, like the HF-1. The HE90 was probably a one-off experiment for Sennheiser to test the extreme high-end electrostats market.

They're not really famous.. AT ALL

Here or around head-fi, yeah, but that only makes a tiny portion of the whole society

Same goes with HF-1, hardly anyone (the general public) have heard of them

I don't think they even sold that many, even many people in these forums would think that spending $1000 US dollars on a headphone is absurd, even though it sounds OOOHHH SOOO SWEET

So can you tell i want one? :innocent:

yup the HF-1 got hyped up onli after many reviews were done and also the limited quantity.

i personally is also interested to get hold of a HF-1 too.

same as the typical ppl, akg k000 sounds real gd but i cant spend such money now lol.

how long will the King be staying there?

gee hope he's still there when i go back.

If Sennheiser would to produce unlimited amounts of Orpheus, how many "King of Headphones" will there be in the world? :bash:

300 Kings have made themselves all over the world for their priceless and quality product Sennheiser can offer. It is indeed a treasure! It's the only 1 of the 2 electrostatic headphones in the line of Sennheiser's history.

I think it maybe because of:

'There's no way I'm gonna spend that much on some inknown brand headphones, I've got my Bose' <- commoner style

'So much money for a headphone? You guys're plain nuts' <- another commoner style

'I'd love to have it, but my wallet doesn't agree' <- financial deficiencies

And so on and so forth.

Expensive headphones right from the start isn't exactly geared towards the mainstream community I think.

For sure audio dealers know of this o_O

I think it was never really meant for mainstream community, it was meant to them to admire and drool all over. Haha!

The mainstream still agrees on iBuds, what else can we do really? Haha!!

There are people who appreciates them. Only these people will understand the wonders in the audiophile world.

Edited by zonalblitz_audio

^

Good point Uncle Wilson

Come to think of it, such a description fits the Bugatti Veyron I think.

Volksenwagen had it engineered to show that they can.

Now that's a car to have... though I would much prefer the Royale. I think only 5 was built and not all survived. My next favorite would be the Bearcat, and maybe the Alfa 1750, and the Bently 4.5 and... and... and... The Smart.

Ok, sorry for OT'ing

I thot your fav was the Beetle? Din know you like bug and cat too... :)

HaHaHa...

*** All Hail the "King" *** I paid homage yesterday, and was heavenly blessed with some fine "triangular" tunes...

"Wow"... of what dimensions the magnificent soundstage... of what clarity the treble w/o missing any exquisite bass... and hardly any listening fatigue. I'm impressed by the simplicity (it's not enormous) of the unit and the beautiful intricate design but yet can produce such music.

Thanks to Wilson and to the owner, that I have got the chance to be blessed by this heavenly king.

And Great to know brother Ahdui. Good buys you got! Hope you enjoy your new precious-es.

Edited by Tristram