Sign in to follow this  
atomiccow

Amps fo DAPs

Well I see that pretty much everyone has an amp with the DAP and I don't... lol. And I was wondering, what exactly does an amp do? I read the stickied article on amps but all I got from it was that amps make your music sound better... Well basically, I'm a complete noob with amps cuz I don't have an amp. So can someone tell me exactly how much better an amp can make your DAP sound? Is it a huge difference? And about the price ranges of portable amps and some good ones that maybe I can try? And do portable amps use rechargable batteries or AAs or 9 volts or what?

I asked the same question when i first joined. hope this helps...

Link Here

Welcome, and pls do forum search or googling before starting new threads. Chances are the question have been asked before. Have fun! :thumbup:

Ok so from what I gather, amps can make your DAP sound better or worse... hmm. Well I'm hoping to audition an amp sometime. Right now I use an IAudio X5 and a UE super.fi 5 pro, which is not mine yet, Uncle Wilson was nice enough to lend me one of his test pairs for my personal use until a stock comes in for me :))

I hear a lot about the Little Dot Micro and HP-I and various Xenos amps. And I also hear interconnects are very expensive... :blink:. I'm looking to try a portable amp, hopefully with a rechargable battery, and not exceeding $150. So anyone know an amp to set me off in the right direction?

oh, so u r the bugger who took the testing sf5pro lol.

LOL, welcome to SGheadphones. :D

Entry Level: LDM+, PA2V2, Crossroad I should say around same level in terms of SQ.

Higher Level: Xenos, Go-Vibes and blah blah.

Highest Level: Xin, SR-71, Hornet M, Larocco.

This is just a reference for you might not be acurate.

Btw you can audit Crossroad, Go-Vibes at Jaben.

Edited by Qsilver

Do note that high sensitivity & low resistance headphone or earphone is not really necessary to get a portable amp to drive them as your DAP had sufficient power to drive them.

I would said if u are using a higher end DAP & phone, in order to get the utimate sound. U definitely need a portable amp to drive them.

I feel that the sound will be much much better even no doubt I never own or listen to a portable amp before. Currently still waiting for my SMIV.

would said if u are using a higher end DAP & phone,

Umm, a higher end DAP? How high end do DAPs go? The X5 is certainly comparable to the Ipod and any other DAP out there. If people use amps with Ipods, I don't see why you wouldn't use it with an X5.

LOL, welcome to SGheadphones. laugh.gif

Actually I'm not new. About..... a very long time ago, I signed onto this forum and was asking about the Westone UM1 and of course thats where I found out about Jaben Network too. lol. So ya, I do own a UM1 as well but from what I gather, amps don't help the UM1... lol.

I heard its a FOUR month wait now?!?!? :doh::doh::doh:

Anyway, I think the waiting should be worthwhile. I think maybe can get mine faster as wat I read from Xin's forum that no more development for SMIV at the time being.

Umm, a higher end DAP?

I think by looking at the price of the DAP, u should be able to tell.

Currently quite a lot of low end cheap China brands in the market. Some of them never heard before.

I feel that popular brand like Apple, Iriver. Iaudio & etc should be consider high end brand.

That is what I own, an Iaudio X5 and a UE Super.fi 5 pro....

Anyway, I had never heard an Iaudio before. But as wat I hope to hear when an portable amp is used, its the wholesome & fullness of each tone & rhyme.

with your present setup, you can give Go-Vibe or better still Portaphile V2(Maxxed) a shot. Just a suggestion, doesn't mean it will synergy well.

with your present setup, you can give Go-Vibe or better still Portaphile V2(Maxxed) a shot. Just a suggestion, doesn't mean it will synergy well.

Really appreciate that but I had already placed an order for a SMIV, now still waiting..... <_<.

After that, maybe wanted to upgrade my headphone.......but see how first.

Sorry jeremy the suggestion was for atomiccow.

You dun need that as you are waiting inline for your Xin :D

@ Dui, i already eyeing on 1 now. keke

Appreciate the help. Are these all available at Jaben for testing? I'm going down tmr after school to see if my super.fi 5 pros are in yet. What type of good interconnects are there and about how much would a decent one cost?