Guest joi-ful

UPDATE: UM1 rocks my socks!

In a nutshell, they are suitable for all kinds of music, much akin to chicken rice being suitable for consumption in all seasons. The key element is personal preference. U gotta try it for yourself. I believe previous threads have already highlighted the sonic characteristics of SF3 and UM1.

ppl, do u feel that um1 sounds muffled, lack of treble and bass when u do a a/b comparision with superfi3?

or is it purely my ear's fault?

Your ears are functioning just fine. UM2 has the same treble rolloff too. It's less apparent with comply short tips and Shure medium size tips though. Increasing playback volume does improve treble details but overall, it seem SF is more balanced sounding. Instead of opting for a switch, I suggest you play around with tips.

IEMs were meant to be used by musicians and stage performers and only in recent years do we see audiophiles getting into it. In short, the answer to your question is affirmative. One thing great about having treble rolloff is the less chance of suffering from fatigue on prolonged usage.

But now whenever I'm listening to my um1s I feel like I'm missing a big chunk of my music. Since getting into this hobby I've been slowly changing from a basshead to a treble freak...

Guest joi-ful

^ haha, same here. Still enjoy my music nevertheless.

You shldn't have gotten the K81DJ after the UM1!! Makes it darn hard to justify the price of the UM1. hehe.

The nice thing about UM1 is the comfort how discreet the phones are. Also, UM1 are also very musical with quite a bit of details present. What's more, I can wear them for hours without getting listening fatigue. =D

Which is why I still use them for portables. I still love the comfort and especially that beautiful shape of it. Its just that now whenever I listen to them, a tape loop starts playing at the back of my head going, where's the treble, where's the treble... I'm even starting to enjoy my ksc75 more and more inspite of the lack of resolution cuz the highs are just so sweet. ANd the k81djs... best of both worlds.

Guest joi-ful

Hmm, I simply couldn't find any faults with the KSC75 in terms of its sound signature, they're just so darn perfect for casual listening!

They might not be the most hi-fi worthy phones but they're really enjoyable.

Wow, why the sudden sf5 craze? haha... Finally, they have been discovered to be more than just crappy looking phones... They sound great don't they? lol