Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

M-audio opamps replacement

hi guys,

I've been following this thread at head-fi closely

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread....&threadid=38123

basically it involves replacing the 5532 opamps with 8620 opamps.

and bypassing the caps.

user posted image

Glassman's instructions:

those yellow-marked caps are to be bypassed

DACs everybody knows 

FILTER - those opamps are there as after-DAC analog filters, they're both on front and rear channels

BUFFER - those are only on fronts and I suggest they're here to make Revo able to drive headphones.. becouse If you select Headphones or Stereo in drivers, sound doesn't change in any way.. but I'm driving my HD590 on the rear channels without problems so I think when I finaly get 2SJ109 and complete my Gilmore, I'll ommit those buffers becouse there's no reason since then to use them in the way to Gilmore..

any advice? is it do-able?

thanks in advance wink.gif

i've read the thread too.

IIRC the guy did it already. in fact, a few ppl did it.

they all reported success and beter sound.

If you meant the SMT DAC lead, it is too fine. Sorry, won't do it for you.

OPAMP AD8620, yes.

Theoratically possible, saw some procedure done on the web before.

Again, I will encourage you not to try soundcard for your source. I came from using Creative Audigy Platinum (about $300 when I bought it) and it loses to a normal SONY CD player. Some suggestion that Windows actually re-compressed the audio CD before sending the data to the sound card.

cant that be prevented by connecting your cd drive straight to your soundcard via a cable?

If you meant the SMT DAC lead, it is too fine. Sorry, won't do it for you.

OPAMP AD8620, yes.

Theoratically possible, saw some procedure done on the web before.

Again, I will encourage you not to try soundcard for your source. I came from using Creative Audigy Platinum (about $300 when I bought it) and it loses to a normal SONY CD player. Some suggestion that Windows actually re-compressed the audio CD before sending the data to the sound card.

don't get me started on soundcards. what you read about soundcards, namely the Creative ones, which are SLAMMED by HTPC (home-theatre PC) users everywhere, is that all of them, right up to the latest Audigy2 resample everything to 48khz. ie. everything's resampled, including CD audio at 44.1khz. and the algorithms used are crappy, hence sound quality is compromised. now this is not true of all soundcards, ie. not all resample to 48khz, eg. the M-audio revo, which with the right programs, like foobar2k, will bypass windows' kmixer straight to the outputs, WITHOUT resampling.

I've read comparisons of the Revo, comparing them to a lot of low-mid level CDPs and the owners actually preferred the Revo.

anyway, this's de-railing from my topic. rolleyes.gif

Aren't you using the Revo ablaze? Why not give it a try? Your next step from DIY cables wink.gif

yeah I am N@Z. thats why I'm thinking of doing this. but going from DIY cables to soldering opamps seems like a HECK of a big jump. scared yucky.gif

practise on some old cards.

in my case i practise on the ram leads of video cards. it doesnt get much smaller than that. smile.gif

all the best ablaze! maybe you could invest in one of those 'holders' cum 'flourescent lights' type magnifier things.

don't get me started on soundcards. what you read about soundcards, namely the Creative ones, which are SLAMMED by HTPC (home-theatre PC) users everywhere, is that all of them, right up to the latest Audigy2 resample everything to 48khz. ie. everything's resampled, including CD audio at 44.1khz. and the algorithms used are crappy, hence sound quality is compromised. now this is not true of all soundcards, ie. not all resample to 48khz, eg. the M-audio revo, which with the right programs, like foobar2k, will bypass windows' kmixer straight to the outputs, WITHOUT resampling.

I've read comparisons of the Revo, comparing them to a lot of low-mid level CDPs and the owners actually preferred the Revo.

anyway, this's de-railing from my topic.

Ablaze: I find that when I play my cds straight from my Maudio card, it doesnt sound as good as if I were to rip it directly using Cooledit and playing it in Cooledit.

Just wondering if my soundcard will bypass windows kmixer.......

to bypass kmixer, you gotta use programs like foobar2k, that have either ASIO or kernel-streaming modes. not too sure about cooledit, or what it does, but if you don't want to try foobar2k, you can try winamp with an ASIO plug-in. gotta search for it wink.gif

btw, honestly, what exactly IS your dman pci card? whats the full name? whats dman anyway? blush.gif

the full name is just Midiman Dman PCI soundcard....two rca in and out and one midi in and out....uses only 18 bit crystal conversion....

I guess the cool edit does bypass the windows.....not sure if it use MME or ASIO or kernel-streaming drivers.....

It does really sounded different when I mixdown to 2 wave tracks and played using cooledit and played straight from the windows cd player......hmmm....thats why it sounded different.

My guess is if I were to burn it on cds and play it on my NAD cd player, it should sound better than playing with windows cd player......

ok back to topic,

HOW THE HELL DO I SOLDER THE OPAMP LEGS!??

I just looked at it and the legs are barely 1mm apart! is there some sort of micro-tip that i can get for my soldering iron for this kind of work?? wacko.gif

more questions: how about if I bypass the caps circled in the diagram? that looks do-able at least. are there any dangers I should be aware of?