Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

M-audio opamps replacement

bypassing the caps is realtively easy - just 'flood' the space between the legs with a thin layer of solder.

and it IS possible to solder to the legs, people do it all the time when they mod graphics cards to pump more voltage into the core.

Edited by adhoc

bypassing the caps is realtively easy - just 'flood' the space between the legs with a thin layer of solder.

and it IS possible to solder the legs, people do it all the time when they mod graphics cards to pump more voltage into the core.

First, what type of cap and what situation is it.

If cap connect in parallel, you cannot short it. Short if only it is in siries, normally in the signal trace.

thanks jason, that i was blissfully unaware of. i owe you one. happy.gif

i suddenly realise how lucky i am to have not destroyed any vid cards! blink.gif

Edited by adhoc

and it IS possible to solder the legs, people do it all the time when they mod graphics cards to pump more voltage into the core.

First, what type of cap and what situation is it.

If cap connect in parallel, you cannot short it. Short if only it is in siries, normally in the signal trace.

I believe those are signal caps. and the guys on the thread have successfully bypassed it.

OT:gryphon, maybe you are playing the CD via the thin analog connector to sound card and cooledit plays the cd digitally via the PCI bus.

hmm..bypassed the caps.

now I get about 3.5mV DC on right channel, and negative3.6mV on the left channel.

is this safe?

practise on some old cards.

in my case i practise on the ram leads of video cards. it doesnt get much smaller than that. smile.gif

all the best ablaze! maybe you could invest in one of those 'holders' cum 'flourescent lights' type magnifier things.

adhoc,

care to share how you soldered the ram legs, without getting solder between the legs?

you got some micro-tip for your soldering iron?

a. use very very large guage wires >24 is nice.

b. tin the wires first. you might want to break off some strands such that you get a a thinner wire to tin. dont use too much solder when tinning!

c. using low heat, place the tip (as fine as you can get - the finer, the easier) onto the tinned wire and hold it against the leg. be careful.

d. remove heat once wire 'sticks'

of course you have to clean the legs with flux beforehand and you solder the wire near the chip, not near the pcb ('higher' up the ram lead)

ok, so you're saying that you managed to solder each individual leg of this, onto the pcb, by hand?

user posted image

(big picture user posted image)

edit: if thats what you really did, then ..

you have got to be the L33T-est soldering guy amongst us man yeah.gif

oh GOSH!

what i meant was soldering wires TO the ram, not soldering ram TO the board! and not 1 wire for EVERY lead. more like 3 wires for the entire chip at most! anything more than 5-8 and it gets too crowded to solder properly!

sorry for any misunderstanding..

if i could solder like that, i wouldnt need to go to school liao. i would be touring world showing off my skills.

speaking of skills, how DO they solder the ram to the board!

Edited by adhoc

cheh. not as L33T as I thought biggrin.gif

so basically, the opamp's about this size

user posted image

something like 3mm by 4mm or something. with 8 lil legs wacko.gif

still trying to figure out how to do this dry.gif

wah lao! tongue.gif

first remove the chip.

add solder paste along the copper pad, over fill is ok.

place ic on top then use solder gun heat up

you will see bridging solder, use wick to suck up excess solder

tada, finish.

i am eating durian, burp.

i am eating durian, burp.

i REALLY see the link lorh! laugh.gif

anyway just a question, if the solder paste is acid type will it have a detrimental effect on the pcb? yes right?