Sign in to follow this  
metrablue

Interested in getting Susan Wong Album

well, if by chance u are a bossa nova fan, u can try Astrud Gilberto and Bebel Gilberto's songs.. thou they are not related..

Test out some of Astrud Gilberto and Bebel Gilberto songs at amazon, I prefer Astrud one though.

But from the information I read from wikipedia and amazon, they both are related.

Bebel Gilberto is Astrud and Joao Gilberto's daughter.

Guest Cruise

uhmm.. IMHO Bebel Gilberto is actually João Gilberto and Miúcha daughter.. I got them misunderstood :rclxub: too in e first place too as Astrud Gilberto was João Gilberto's ex-wife before he met Miúcha.. jus travia anyway :D:D

glad i hav someone who like their music as much as im.. i tot jazz from e 50s and 60s are drawing lesser fans.. :rclxms:

glad i hav someone who like their music as much as im.. i tot jazz from e 50s and 60s are drawing lesser fans.. :rclxms:

I beg to differ. Have a chat with Jazz fanatics and you'll notice the slate of contemporary "Jazz" singers are merely regenerating the standards with a twist of audiophile sound quality. However, this helps to inculcate interest in Jazz by appealing to the younger crowd, much akin to classical music since crossover by Venessa Mae. Pick a piece rendered by a contemporary and compare it with Ella Fitzgerald, sound quality aside, you should be able to tell which has more soul in it.

However, not all contemporary Jazz singers are guilty. Diana Krall was a bright spark in the first two albums but succumbed to commercialized music making thereafter. Her latest album is critically aclaimed as a revival of her true star quality. The other noteworthy singer is Stacy Kent. She is nowhere as great as the grandmasters in the 50/60's era but her renditions are truly touching.

Edited by Mackie

uhmm.. IMHO Bebel Gilberto is actually João Gilberto and Miúcha daughter.. I got them misunderstood :rclxub: too in e first place too as Astrud Gilberto was João Gilberto's ex-wife before he met Miúcha.. jus travia anyway :D:D

Ooh.

Maybe never read properly on the ex wife thingy at wiki, was too late at night lol.

I just a beginner jazz fan, more like, if I find any jazz music I like, I just listen, didn't listen enough to know what's good or not yet.

At least not now.

Guest Cruise

susan wong and olivia ong could be a start! if u prefer jazz wit a touch of feminine..

it really depends on wat type of jazz u are listening.. be it e 60s jazz, bossa nova or new jazz.. (correct me if im wrong).

can try e Nat King Cole's Mis Mejores Canciones, which is on my avatar!~ he sang this album in cuba.. in spanish..

Olivia does Bossa Nova, not really mainstream Jazz. Although not a great exponent in this genre, she does inject some youth to her renditions, in a similar way how Astrud imparted naivety and playfulness.

I like the album "Close to You". Contains many good oldies such as Killing me softly, Fly me to the Moon, Close to You etc.

I know Susan Wong has quite a few CDs. Her voice, as usual, is warm and full of emotion. Reordings are usually god. You will have to see the songs she sings and whether you like those on the selected album.

Gramophone shop at Capitol CarPark, next to Peninsula Plaza has a good range.

I second that. I had the SACD version & also the XRCD version.

But maybe you can try the album "Fly Away" by Corrinne May.