Sign in to follow this  
rapier84

UM1 Wire coming apart :(

:helpsmilie: Been enjoying my UM1s for about 2 months, then to my horror I noticed that the braided wire at the end of the mini plug has untangled itself into 3 smaller wires :( Though not very noticeable at the point (its 2 cms and can only be seen when the wire is twisted slightly in one way...), I'm wondering about the general integrity of the wiring when the end is beginning to split. Anyone with UM1s or 2s got similar problems?

Hey aaron,

Thanks for the reply. Nope, not that problem...worse... not only are there the uncut ends (those plastic bits sticking out), but the braided wire itself near the plug is coming apart. Meaning, the wire is made up of 3 seperate smaller wires stuck together, and they are unsticking and seperating :(

Unfortunately I don't have my camera now so I can't show any pics:(

Edited by rapier84

Where you bought your UM1 form?

If the UM1 is still within warrenty period then try bringing the UM1 and maybe everything that came with the UM1 back to the shop to ask for exchange or sending back to Westone for repair.

U mean the nylon strands seperating right? No exposed metal bits? Same with mine. I just twist the cable to bring the strands close together again. I think it's cuz of normal usage twisting the cable. Nothing to worry about.

Thanks guys for the reply :)

Yup, its the strands of wires seperating with no metal exposing yet. However, Westone did reply to my email saying that whilst this does happen, if the split does get worse it'd be advisable to replace the unit. Though it seems that this is a minor(and known) problem, it still bugs me a little given that its only 2 months old :(

Edited by rapier84

So from what westone says, this is not supposed to happen? Its a problem with their build quality? Mine's also only a couple months old...

hmm...okay, heres to clear up a little

Doug from Westone says that he has a unit of UM1 also, though he did not say how old his was, he says that he too has the similar problem of the wires unbraiding like mine when there is a slight twist of the cord, its just that if the problem becomes much worse i.e the unbraiding affects the integrity of the wire then it should be replaced. Seems like Westone is aware of this problem. But anyway if the problem doesn't become much more serious like the unbraiding becoming longer and/or the sound getting affected then I guess I can live with it.

Edited by rapier84

As far as I remember by readings, the unbraided cable should affect sound quality if you believe in Cable Technology anyway. Many expensive speaker cables are braided in certain way for sound improvements.

As far as I remember by readings, the unbraided cable should affect sound quality if you believe in Cable Technology anyway. Many expensive speaker cables are braided in certain way for sound improvements.

:blink: Holy S***...

Okay, the lucky thing is because the ends of the wire are firmly stuck on the plug (the stereo plug that is), the wire stays in the braid and opens up a little only when twisted, and I hadn't had any (perceptable) noise distortion so far...fingers crossed... :innocent:

Don't use super glue for aesthetic reason. A milder and nicer solution is this particular glue sold in Popular Bookstore. I can't remember the name but it's in a squeeze bottle (white) that looks quite similar to Tipp-Ex (U know, the red squeeze bottle?). I can't recall the brand off hand. The beauty of it is it's milky white when wet and tranparent when dry. It's also easy to apply. This glue is meant for handycraft.

Don't use super glue for aesthetic reason. A milder and nicer solution is this particular glue sold in Popular Bookstore. I can't remember the name but it's in a squeeze bottle (white) that looks quite similar to Tipp-Ex (U know, the red squeeze bottle?). I can't recall the brand off hand. The beauty of it is it's milky white when wet and tranparent when dry. It's also easy to apply. This glue is meant for handycraft.

:)) Arh yes...the well known white glue cure.

Well, thankfully I found the trick is to actually when plugging in the stereo plug, look carefully because sometimes fresh out of the Westone case the wires may be twisted and cause stress, so straighten and destress the wire (let it hang loose a while straight out of the case) and hopefully the problem can be avoided or lessened...