Sign in to follow this  
replay

JPOP Recommendations

I noticed no JPOP related threads in this forum. Was searching for some singles and albums in HMV recently and couldn't really find what I wanted. Any idea where else I can find a large collection of JPOP albums?

And also for people who are into JPOP, any nice albums to recommend?

Hi,

Don't get it here. Order online instead as the huge record shop's price for Jap imported Albums are really MAD priced.

Recommendations:

The new album by ELT is not bad.

Also try Heart & Symphony album from Hitomi Shimatani

the new Globe album not bad.

Try also Love Psychedelico's Greatest hits.

Harai Ken's albums.

Nowadays Jpop albums are not like last time, now is mostly boy bands.

Cheers.

You mean Ken Hirai? Spelling mistake there...haha. Btw, I think that Hikawa Kiyoshi's albums are pretty nice. F.Y.I, he sings enka and he's really young. Good looks and great voice...But I wouldn't consider that as J-pop...More like japanese oldies...Yeah, Love Psychedelico's good as well. Early Times album would be actually a better buy than Greatest Hits because they've got this song called fantastic world that Greatest Hits doesn't have. I managed to get both albums so its sort of like an experience...

There are a lot of genres in J-Pop, just like ang moh pop. I'm more into R&B and Pop stuff, not Rock.

Misia: big name in J-Pop. Incredible voice, one of the best I've heard in my life (I'm not a teenager/NS boy/tertiary student btw). Songs are well-written, good arrangements, top grade musicians.

Mika Nakashima: another big name. She's prettier, but can't sing in my opinion. BUT all her songs are terrifically well-written, and again played by top musicians

SMAP: boy band yes, can't sing great. But very good songs, and played by top name American musicians.

Hikaru Utada: not bad ...

There are a lot of genres in J-Pop, just like ang moh pop. I'm more into R&B and Pop stuff, not Rock.

Misia: big name in J-Pop. Incredible voice, one of the best I've heard in my life (I'm not a teenager/NS boy/tertiary student btw). Songs are well-written, good arrangements, top grade musicians.

Mika Nakashima: another big name. She's prettier, but can't sing in my opinion. BUT all her songs are terrifically well-written, and again played by top musicians

SMAP: boy band yes, can't sing great. But very good songs, and played by top name American musicians.

I like Mika and Utada as well (mainstream jpop, I know), though I wouldn't agree Mika can't sing. Her luscious vocals is a dime in a dozen, especially in asian pop.

Gotta check out Misia.

In fact some ppl feel that Mika Nakashima has got one of the best vocals around. I was rather surprised when you mentioned she can't sing.

Recently I have been listening to songs by YUI. I was quite impressed by her vocals, not great but somehow captivating. Her latest offering "Rolling Star" is used as Bleach's new opening theme. Her only full length album to date, <From Me To You>, is definitely worth the $$$ IMO. (It's cheaper ordering online through CDJapan or yesasia compared to buying at HMV.)

Slightly OT, but anyone likes Lena Park?

Edited by replay

I'm surprised that he said Mika can't sing well too. Well her English isn't that fantastic but the same goes for most Japanese singers otherwise I think she's alright.

How about Rurutia's Lost Butterfly?

As for Hitomi Shimatani, try her Poinsettia -Amairo Winter Memories- and Delicious ! ~The Best of Hitomi Shimatani~.

Sowelu has some nice albums too. Try SWEET BRIDGE.

Not to forget Crystal Kay. Try her Crystal Style album.

Recently Kaoru Amane's (Sawajiri Erika) Taiyo No Uta single dominated the oricon charts for a few weeks. Not bad IMO. The songs are used in the Taiyo No Uta drama. Wasn't fantastic, but still worth watching. I prefer the movie version of it though.

mika is one of my favourites, i juz love her 'Love' album, and i wonder why no one ever mentions do as infinity, though they broke up, but still worth listening....

Hello, wat do you think of the below album :

1) Boku ga Ai wo Tsutaeteyuku (Japan Version) by Kyomoto Masaki

2) 20051211IVORY (Japan Version) by Imai Miki

Quite tough to get my flavouite Japanese Album here, I usually get them at Yes Asia.

As for Mika Nakashima, most remember song of her is "Find The Way" from ED of Gundam Seed. I usually get to know the singer whenever I like a animation song.

My preference is usually slow ballad.

Some recommedations :-

Yui - Amane Kaoru - GoodBye Days (singles)

Reira starring Yuna Ito - Endless Story (singles)

Hitomi Shimatani - Destiny - Tears of Love (singles),

Shibasaki Kou - Mitsu

Mika Nakashima - Oborozukiyo , Glamorous Sky

ELT- Acoustic Latte

Chihiro Onitsuka - The Ultimate Collection

Love Psychedelico - The Greatest Hits

Angela Aki - This Love

:P

~ Music Knows No Boundaries ~

Shibasaki Kou - Mitsu

ELT- Acoustic Latte

Angela Aki - This Love

YUI's singles are good! Highly recommended!

Recently Kaoru Amane's (Sawajiri Erika) Taiyo No Uta single dominated the oricon charts for a few weeks. Not bad IMO. The songs are used in the Taiyo No Uta drama. Wasn't fantastic, but still worth watching. I prefer the movie version of it though.

i thought the songs were not bad too. drama enjoyable also.

Shibasaki Kou - Mitsu

ELT- Acoustic Latte

Angela Aki - This Love

ELT- Acoustic Latte. Highly recommended! One of my favorites by ELT.