replay

JPOP Recommendations

recommendations from me(in this order):

The Brilliant Green

Chage & Aska

Mr Children

Himuro Kyosuke

Fumiya Fujii

and not to mention so many others like Laruku, Luna Sea(more for jrock than jpop), Glay, etc etc ........

Chage and Aska is especially god like. That famous song SAY YES is amazing...

some personal favourites of jpop.

Judy And Mary - defunct punk/rock/electro group who were huge with a female lead who sings with a chilling voice.

Zard - group-turned-solo Izumi Sakai with catchy melodies. Huge in japan too. electro/rock/pop style of music. She also known as the goddess of Darkness i think.

刚本真夜 - a one-woman-show for her album. Not very big in japan but i love her songs, catchy and very nice arrangment done to the songs. Nice vocals too----thats if u like Gigi Leong style.

many many more to recommend but above are the ones that i can remember as of now. One more thing, some of the artists dosent have very good recordings like Zard. But then again, they make good music which makes up for it at least. :P

razer, you are right. Chage and Aska was very famous especially in the early 90s when they won so many awards and had lots of fanbase even in SEA.

Besides Say Yes,can try On your mark, sons&daughters, Meguriai,Yah Yah Yah, Pride, Natural, Otoko no onna(which was also covered in mandarin). Infact getting hold of their the best of is a good start for those who want to try Chage&Aska :D

rko, I agree Zard makes some very catchy stuffs. Infact many of their stuffs are then used as anime themesongs or sort. My experience differs though in that my Zard's best collection III(if I recall correctly) Japan press has very a transparent recording.

The other one, which is a Taiwanese bootleg, though, has a passable sound. So I think it has to do with the press. I am sure the original Japan press has a good sound quality.

Zard is a very enigmatic figure in Japan, She seldom accept interviews and most of the albums are rarely advertised but she is really talented and the songs are nice, e.g. Ei En and My Baby Grand. That is what matters most!!

Try the complete zard singles collection (3 CD) set. Pressed in Taiwan.

Blues--- I cant agree more that the taiwanese bootleg is horrible, though they were my main source from "Game Tokyo" while i was still schooling.(Those were the days when Game Tokyo had rows and rows of jap music.) Not saying that the jap presses are bad(i do have the Zard Best singles collection that i bought in 1999), just that they are not really that good. Its like u are paying 50+ dollars for a CD of course u expect good quality. Perhaps i'll have a closer listen again. :P Hmm, cocobean, where can u get the taiwanese presses these days? the ones at HMV are all jap presses and they cost like 70 each.

Btw, RKO, is that Ryouko Hirosue in ur avatar? Looks abit like her if not its her...Btw, any one of you guys listen to older stuff like X-JAPAN, WANDS or Toshinobu Kubota? I know Sekaiju No Dare Yori Kitto by Nakayama Miho & WANDS is really nice...Also, LA LA LA LOVE SONG by Toshinobu Kubota is really nice. Love that song...

Btw, RKO, is that Ryouko Hirosue in ur avatar? Looks abit like her if not its her...Btw, any one of you guys listen to older stuff like X-JAPAN, WANDS or Toshinobu Kubota? I know Sekaiju No Dare Yori Kitto by Nakayama Miho & WANDS is really nice...Also, LA LA LA LOVE SONG by Toshinobu Kubota is really nice. Love that song...

yup, its ryoko and hence my nick RKO. :yes: I'm a fan of her ever since her pictorial album days....but her popularity had really died down after news of her unwed pregnancy got to the public. old stuffs are great man, i had a look at my cds and found a few of them that i had really forgotten about. Stuffs from Spitz, Glay, Max and even Kinki Kids. Reminds me of the time when ever there is a long break between lessons, i will be at Tower or HMV in orchard listening through the CDs.

yup, its ryoko and hence my nick RKO. :yes: I'm a fan of her ever since her pictorial album days....but her popularity had really died down after news of her unwed pregnancy got to the public. old stuffs are great man, i had a look at my cds and found a few of them that i had really forgotten about. Stuffs from Spitz, Glay, Max and even Kinki Kids. Reminds me of the time when ever there is a long break between lessons, i will be at Tower or HMV in orchard listening through the CDs.

I still remembered Ryoko in Poppya the railway man. Kinda instills upon me a sense nostalgia whenever i listen to the sound track...

Btw, has anyone heard of K? He sang the theme song for the japanese drama Ichi Rittouru no Namida

Very Nice song.... or shld i say veri sad song :( .... Only Human...

From his previous album - Beyond the Sea

His song also featured in the anime Blood+

Seriously who can beat Ayumi Hamasaki the J-Pop Queen? It has been 7 years in the making and she still retain this title.

Seriously who can beat Ayumi Hamasaki the J-Pop Queen? It has been 7 years in the making and she still retain this title.

i like her younger days.. (1st - 3rd album times)

IMHO.. wats up with the trembling n vibrations in her voice these days??