Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

Headsave MintMETA/KurtW META/PortaCordaII headamp

A few pictures first before I post the actual write up. Need to reread it first & tidy up a little here & there.

I didn't take another photo of my Meta as that was already posted previously in the other thread.

This one is MatBon0013's Sony D-777 PCDP, Headsave MintMeta & Beyer DT880 using my Oehlbach mini to mini cable.

DSCF0002.jpg

This one of the Meier Audio PortaCorda II, unfortunately facing the other way round!

DSCF0011.jpg

Beyerdynamic DT880 impression with: Tigger’s Headsave Mint META, KurtW META & Meier-Audio Porta Corda II

Precursor

This mini impression came about with my interest to revisit MatBon0013’s post burned-in DT880 and a request by Sipher to post my impression of the DT880 and META combination. I made it a point to bring along my other amps purely for comparative purposes on which amp would be better for driving the DT880. Please also note as usual, the following comments are based on my personal views & taste so take that into consideration.

Music used:

Dire Straits – Money for Nothing

The Police – Every Breath You Take: The Singles

Depeche Mode – Violator

Gear Used

MatBon0013’s Sony D-777 PCDP -> Oehlbach mini to mini cable (from PCII) -> headamp: see above -> Beyerdynamic DT880 headphones

All the amps were powered using their built in single 9v battery & the PCDP was powered using wallwart (mainly because the line out is inaccessibly when the battery pack is attached).

Amp Specification

Headsave Mint Meta – see headsave.com website.

KurtW META – AD8620 OPA, dual stacked EL2001 output buffers per channel.

PCII – see meier-audio website

MatBon0013’s Altoids Headsave Mint META

From memory the DT880 still sounded recessed especially vocals & lead guitar. Bass is still lean but punchy. Highs are airy/atmospheric. Fairly good amount of detail, clarity of cymbals & hi-hats. The amp require 12 o’ clock on the volume knob for moderate volume output (amp is set at gain 10). Beyond that it went loud but struggled to produce a coherent sound. It became congested as it went louder.

Translucent blue SerPac case built by KurtW META

My impression is immediately of a bigger open sound. At the same volume setting the sound output is slightly higher. Gain of this amp is at 9.

Bass goes slightly lower. Overall the sound signature is similar to the MintMETA just some minor differences in greater warmth (opamp?) & slightly more detail, crisper highs & more bass oomph. There is a slight ‘out-of-the-head’ experience. It also made me want to listen to the music longer.

It was clear that the DT880 still needed more power than the single 9v could deliver hence this amp had an option for use with a wall wart/external battery pack running the amp at least 18v (up to 27v max). Sadly I didn’t bring either to be able to try but based on memory with my HD600+Clou Red cable it had more control & better seperation with more power.

PortaCorda II

Running Class A & crossfeed off. Volume level is more or less the same again compared with the METAs. Cymbals sound a lot brighter. There is similar level of warmth like the KurtW META but the weight is slightly reduced especially bass impact. Similar sense of airiness. Oddly though, this amp sounded slower than the METAs even though the combined effect of the amp & DT880 produces a very lean well extended & tight bass. Maybe it was Mat's PCDP causing the change in pace as the PCDP tracked the end of the CD as it started to skip too even with a good CD while stationary.

I was expecting the mids (vocals) to be more forward than the METAs but this was not the case. Although the presentation of vocals on the DT880 is not as laid back as I recall from the previous mini meet. Quick tweak with the 1 cent coins just to confirm. Hardly discernible this time as I can’t say for sure if it made the sound more grainy or had more top end bite. There was no change to the other ranges.

Conclusion

As good as the PCDP and portable amp may be, I felt both compromised the sound of the DT880 because it is a very hard to drive pair of headphones, much like the HD600 which also requires a good source & amplification in order to sing. It would have produced a more favourable impression if I used the amp with a wallwart on the KurtW META & PCII running at 18v. There’s no doubt that a Maxed out META & proper source sounds a lot better as per the previous Mini meet had shown.

Would I recommend the portable META? In current specification, only just, if you don’t need high volume levels but if the DIY builder took into account of the impending use of the harder to drive DT880 & mandatory use of twin 9v (18v or even 24V with wallwart, see - http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread....threadid=39633) it would fare better.

Concerning my impressions of the DT880, I felt that, at least in the PCDP application, not much change was heard except for the vocals & bass which had improved slightly. Since it was a tight schedule I didn’t have time to hear it on Mat’s effortless sounding Meridian. So as it is the character to me is still of a fairly balanced sound but still slightly recessed in the vocals. Mind you, I have been listening to the RS-1 often lately so that could be the reason. Also, emphasis on getting a good source & powerful amp for the DT880, it a be-yach to drive loud!

N@z, the rs-1 definately poisons you thinking the 880 is recessed wahah!! come come get rid of it. Send it to tanah merah, singapore lol.gif

Well written review btw! the beyer just can't really be amplified by these little guys. Hm.. perhaps they need the berning ZOTL .. that microwave!! biggrin.gif

Yeah, that's why I mentioned it. I should have been listening to the HD600 instead. However I have been listening to the PCII + 7506 & this combination has a pretty good synergy & doesn't sound as forward.

DSCF0012.jpg

N@z, the rs-1 definately poisons you thinking the 880 is recessed wahah!! come come get rid of it. Send it to tanah merah, singapore lol.gif

I wouldn't say it poisons you. It makes people realise something about the 880's.

ppth.gif

HAHAHA! laugh.gif I just noticed... nice try Blues! The RS-1 are definite keepers that for sure! Good luck with your 'new' headphones hunt.

Oh... sneak photo I took of Mat cleaning his latest toy. He was listening to it using the PCII. whistling.gif Shame I didn't sneak a photo of Jenny Malai Ali (the sis of Paula over on MTV Asia) who was there at the time. They look nearly the same! Maybe it was the hair... OT OT OT.

DSCF0003.jpg

hrmm this thread once again is leading me to think about getting/making a maxed out meta instead of saving for that prehead.. biggrin.gif

adhoc: prehead? blink.gif serious?? wow!

firefox: the midrange is good enough for me jump.gif

I am used to having the 770 which is also a little recessed. come to think of it, the only cans that I've owned that is not recessed, is dt250-80. Infact the midrange is a little too rich laugh.gif

The Maxed out Meta has definitely got the power to drive both the DT880 & HD600 with ease. The RS-1 sounds very good on it too.

blue, saving lah.. tongue.gif

OT: what about your source? I reckon you spend more in source ! get the cd17mkiii man!! that's what I am eyeing . solid build and great chassis! cool.gif

N@z: how is rs-1 out of both the portable babies? I know grados are easily driven but how much improvement do they give?

Nice review, N@Z.

Thank u for spending some time writing this review.

i needed somebody's impression of meta driving a dt880 so i will roughly know how a maxed out meta fares.

thanks again

I've used the DT880 with headsave's mineme and ultra,

They perform as well or better than the headphone jacks from my Marantz 63SE CDP and Cambridge Audio DAC1->Rotel 970 preamp

Blues: I can only say for the KurtW Meta & PCII as I haven't tried the RS-1 with the Headsave MintMeta. The major differences are in the greater vocal warmth & tighter bass on the PCII. The Meta sounded bigger/airier due to the heaftier bass clout & highs that sound crystal clear. Other differences are minor & you can only tell if you really looking for it. Which one is better depends on your personal taste. For me the PCII is too warm with the RS-1. Given a choice? The Meta but with a slight modification to give more bass detail without losing the weight. That's with the RS-1. With the PCII the 7506, as the midrange is brought forward & bass is better defined.