Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

Headsave MintMETA/KurtW META/PortaCordaII headamp

Interesting read N@Z - well balanced review. I'm surprised you found the PCII too warm with the RS-1 though. The Beyer DT-880 is a nice can but the mids can be a bit recessed when compared to say Senn HD-600, Grado SR-225, Beyer DT-831 etc.

Adhoc,

As a former Corda/Beyer/Grado rep/dealer, all I can say is if you're saving up for a PreHead-1 then go fo it. No META42 in any configuration can touch it. I've tried one with 4 stacked high EL2002. Once with 2 x EL2001 with Solen output caps added (both came with Elna Cerafine caps as well). If you don't need the preamp function of the PreHead then save some money and go for the HA-2 (they sound identical when using high impedence cans like the Beyer DT-880). If you wish to have more air/atmosphere ask Jan Meier to build you one with the AD-8610 op-amps (you do lose a tad of resolution though). This version of the PreHead (ie the AD8610) mates well with brighter sounding headphones (IMO of course).

NOTE: I like/love detail and resolution. If you like that as well then although the DT-880 is better than say the Senn HD-600 or Beyer DT-990 it still falls short of say a Grado SR-125/SR-225 or even a Beyer DT-831/DT-931.

MOST IMPORTANT: All the above a subtle variations as all the above cans are good sounding. As you can see even 2 Grado lovers like N@Z and me can have differences.

It surprised me too as I was expecting the PCII to sound more analytical based on Jan's Preferences in sound. I based the warmth on the similarity when I tuberoll the MG Head with the 5751 GE output tubes (& RCAs) which can sound too warm. It's a different sound of course but has that similar character in the midrange. The Raytheon & sylvanias tend to err more towards the AD8620 op-amp.

rameish,

thanks for the tip.

to tell you the truth i was unaware that jan built amps to your specs, thanks for the heads up.

would it cost more?

Edited by adhoc

From Prehead page,

The PREHEAD is a most revealling amp. In itself this is an excellent feature but it also clearly shows all the limitations of your source and/or headphone. This can be most annoying, especially if source or phone tend to be on the harsh side.

For people who prefer a more forgiving sound we offer the option to use the AD8610 opamp instead of the LM6171. The use of the AD8610 results in a slightly warmer and less revealing sound, without loosing impact.

AD8610 is offered as an alternative to the standard LM6171.

rameish, paiseh. thanks. whistling.gif

Adhoc,

It's Jan's specs - he offers 2 versions of the PreHead. Actually you can also get two versions of the HA-2 (that's not on the website I think LOL).

The only Jan modified item I have is the analoguer - we had a long discussion about my analogue preferences and he himself offered to modify it for me. Jan believes in a certain sound and goes about doing things his own way.

hrmm rameish any details on the 2 versions of the ha2 avail? or is it just the same opamp change as per the prehead?