Sign in to follow this  
mfgg

Amp for HD650?

Hi I am thinking to get a set of HD650, need some advice abt head amp for it. Can u guys help me to choose one?

1. Budget:ard s$500

2. Either transistor or tube

3. Can be purchased in local store

Thanks a lot.

:helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie:

Hi,

I'm sure that by now you've realised that the HD650 has a bigger bottom than usual. I pair mine with brighter amps to compensate. Note that HD650 is pretty picky with amps. I have good results with both X-CAN v3 (brighter tubes) and Corda amps (Aria, HA1 mk 1). Corda amps aren't really bright, but seems to go well with H650. Actually even the OBH-21SE sounds not bad.

However, none of those mentioned above seems to be within your budget. Stereo Elec Aron is willing to consider selling his Corda HA1, so you can check with him. Someone was trying to selling the Corda Headfive in Classifieds section too, so you might wanna try that. The Little Dot stuff supposed to be able to pair well too, but a bit lower resolution. Don't bother using portable amps. HD650 sounds anemic on my Go Vibe 5 and LDM+ sounds, and fuller but too dark on PA2V2 and Total Airhead.

Whether SS or tube, again very much depends on the music. Some music go well with tube (typically vocals, acoustic), some better with SS. There's no one-size-fit-all.

If you're still using the stock cable, you should first change it to Zu Mobius or Cardas. I prefer the Zu, but some prefer the Cardas. Zu is available from Stereo Elec and MBD, Cardas is from that corner shop near Jaben on Adelphi 4th floor. I CONSIDER THE CABLE CHANGE TO BE MUCH HIGHER PRIORITY AND BENEFICIAL THAN A NEW AMP.

Hi,

I'm sure that by now you've realised that the HD650 has a bigger bottom than usual. I pair mine with brighter amps to compensate. Note that HD650 is pretty picky with amps. I have good results with both X-CAN v3 (brighter tubes) and Corda amps (Aria, HA1 mk 1). Corda amps aren't really bright, but seems to go well with H650. Actually even the OBH-21SE sounds not bad.

However, none of those mentioned above seems to be within your budget. Stereo Elec Aron is willing to consider selling his Corda HA1, so you can check with him. Someone was trying to selling the Corda Headfive in Classifieds section too, so you might wanna try that. The Little Dot stuff supposed to be able to pair well too, but a bit lower resolution. Don't bother using portable amps. HD650 sounds anemic on my Go Vibe 5 and LDM+ sounds, and fuller but too dark on PA2V2 and Total Airhead.

Whether SS or tube, again very much depends on the music. Some music go well with tube (typically vocals, acoustic), some better with SS. There's no one-size-fit-all.

If you're still using the stock cable, you should first change it to Zu Mobius or Cardas. I prefer the Zu, but some prefer the Cardas. Zu is available from Stereo Elec and MBD, Cardas is from that corner shop near Jaben on Adelphi 4th floor. I CONSIDER THE CABLE CHANGE TO BE MUCH HIGHER PRIORITY AND BENEFICIAL THAN A NEW AMP.

Thx for giving me such a detail advice, I tried V3+HD650 before, just feel so so to me. Maybe I will consider little dot 3+ 1st then upgrade when I got extra cash. :thumbup:

The thing is the X-CAN needs brighter tubes to sound good with HD650, in my opinion. A lot has to do with the tubes in the X-CAN you tried. X-CAN can do cap mod too, which improves it tremendously.

The threads on headfi seem to say that Little Dot a bit lower resolution compared to X-CAN, although those are referring to the Little Dot 2 generation.

A lot also depends on what you're looking for. If you associate the Grado-ish piercing, bright, compressed sound with hi-fi, you'll probably never get it with a HD650.

i believe the DARKVOICE tubie headamp is oso a good match for the HD650. i think the bulk buy price is <500.

currently, im using the upgraded discrete headamp of the Zhaolu D2 to drive a HD600. IMO, it sound very good with decent bass extention and detailed highs. mite oso be a viable afforable option for u.

I use the Eleectro-Harmonix 6922 with good results. If you can find Russian 6N1P or 6N1P-EB also good. If you have more cash can use Telefunken 6922.

I've tried Mullards. They are nice, but too dark to pair with HD650. I've also used Siemens, which I find colours the mids a bit.

No offence to scottiebabie, but I think what goes well with HD600 will probably not go well with HD650 cuz their sonic signature qutie different. HD600 doesn't have problem with fatter bottom end. HD650 too much lows but sounds more refined. In case you're wondering, I did use HD600 for a while before HD650 was released.

I use the Eleectro-Harmonix 6922 with good results. If you can find Russian 6N1P or 6N1P-EB also good. If you have more cash can use Telefunken 6922.

I've tried Mullards. They are nice, but too dark to pair with HD650. I've also used Siemens, which I find colours the mids a bit.

No offence to scottiebabie, but I think what goes well with HD600 will probably not go well with HD650 cuz their sonic signature qutie different. HD600 doesn't have problem with fatter bottom end. HD650 too much lows but sounds more refined. In case you're wondering, I did use HD600 for a while before HD650 was released.

no worries dude. i havnt heard the hd650s yet so u are probly quite rite. juz a small addon, FWIW im oso driving a recent aquired W5k and so far, the Zhaolu D2 discrete headamp drives it best IMO. for very little money, the D2 is good stuff :party:

no worries dude. i havnt heard the hd650s yet so u are probly quite rite. juz a small addon, FWIW im oso driving a recent aquired W5k and so far, the Zhaolu D2 discrete headamp drives it best IMO. for very little money, the D2 is good stuff :party:

so how much is ur zhaolu dude? Can find anywhere in Singapore?

if i m not wrong now zhaolu version is D2.5 or mayb higher..cant find the post in lowyat but the seller is mike. tat time he quoted me for the lower version is SGD300++ n higher end is abt $80 more...

if i m not wrong now zhaolu version is D2.5 or mayb higher..cant find the post in lowyat but the seller is mike. tat time he quoted me for the lower version is SGD300++ n higher end is abt $80 more...

yup you are correct. i bought my D2 from mikechai at LYN. no matter if u get the D2 or D2.5, make sure u get the discrete headamp upgrade. its the best deal in headfidom IMO and while i know its not the last word in SQ, it seems to have the ability to drive almost any cans well and best of all, for very little money (only usd50 more for the headamp) :grin::party::thumbup: