Sign in to follow this  
earspeaker

ck9 audio-technica

Except that it doesn't look as much as a ear-aid because of the colours. Seriously though, Westone should consider a nail-polish black for it's UM series IEMs, rather than the sickly black (whatever name the horrible colour is called) it has now on the UM2.

Just tried it. Getting the correct seal is tricky on my ears, up to the point where its not as aesthetically pleasing as those on the pics.

Overall quite a smooth earphone.

Just tried it. Getting the correct seal is tricky on my ears, up to the point where its not as aesthetically pleasing as those on the pics.

How does it compare to the ck7?

die...after u give me the answer, upgraditis will strike.

LOL and i have not bought my DAP yet, listening it off my lappy but the difference is significant.

Might look to IM716 (endorsed by T.87) and this one...

Its got a slightly different sound sig to the CK7 IMO.

CK7's clinical throughout, the CK9 is slightly warmer, with a smooth high bass to mid-mids transient. The highs seem not as forward though.

All in all, the CK9 feels like a slightly watered down E4 with greater mid-bass presence.

Contrary to problems you guys had with the fitting, the ck9 popped in the first try for me...perhaps it has something to do with me having about medium-sized earholes.

I only listened for a minute or so - so I can't say much. It sounds forgiving, with rather heavily compressed music from my DAP sounding quite ok. Would definitely consider a second listen.

Now, one major gripe I had with it was that the wires are too inflexible and thick to wrap behind your ears, and go down your back. Walking briskly might make them come off.

Damn you, aron!!!! It isnt available for anyone to try anyways laugh.gif

Haha - try once, considered sold...forever, to you only.

Contrary to problems you guys had with the fitting, the ck9 popped in the first try for me...perhaps it has something to do with me having about medium-sized earholes.

I only listened for a minute or so - so I can't say much. It sounds forgiving, with rather heavily compressed music from my DAP sounding quite ok. Would definitely consider a second listen.

Now, one major gripe I had with it was that the wires are too inflexible and thick to wrap behind your ears, and go down your back. Walking briskly might make them come off.

Haha - try once, considered sold...forever, to you only.

You have no idea what he wanted to try.... once he has it, it might shake the whole sgheadphone.... beware. :naughty:

*pokes Aron*

Tell leh :D

Hi guys, ck9 is new, u probably have seen or tested the ck6. Anyway, am also waiting for Sim Lim retailer to supply soon so that i can get another one for my gf.

My comments on ck9 after 2weeks, hi-mid seems better & mellow sounding. Wen new, it was quite bright.

I have been pumping my chemical brothers music into it. :grin:

Hi guys, ck9 is new, u probably have seen or tested the ck6. Anyway, am also waiting for Sim Lim retailer to supply soon so that i can get another one for my gf.

My comments on ck9 after 2weeks, hi-mid seems better & mellow sounding. Wen new, it was quite bright.

I have been pumping my chemical brothers music into it. :grin:

The CK9 is available for demo at our store already, fresh stocks will arrive around 1st week of Dec.

CK9 is great... very warm sounding... btw, i have preorder... can't wait to get it...

How does it compare to the ck7?

die...after u give me the answer, upgraditis will strike.

LOL and i have not bought my DAP yet, listening it off my lappy but the difference is significant.

Might look to IM716 (endorsed by T.87) and this one...

oops... saw my name... well, after trying out ck7, my im716 mid sounds lay back... i love the warm sound of ck9... i find it warmer than um2, sf5pro. it not as detail as im176 but more than um2 and sf5pro.

you getting it? i'm dieing for it... :)) fit was easy on my ear and it so comfy... but the cable is bad...

T87

I gather that 716's bass is gd, unmuddied oomph. How does it compare to ck9?

ok... actually i thought of starting a thread on my 1st impression but since you asked here, i'll ans here.... all my comparison for im716 is on bass mode. ipod nano rockbox, custom DIY Canare IC and GOvive v5

compare to ck9, ck9 bass is less prominent. im716 bass had a much greater impact and im716 is a faster phones to my ears... but im716 bass can't be eq too much. distortion will easily settle in if eq is a little too much. But ck9 bass is really clean and can eq to a heavy level without distortion.

mid part, ck9 wins totally hands down on warmth. it just so warmth for me. i love it. think only E4 can be compare. im716 feel recess in this area. about the details, im716 will win by a small margin.

treble part is the weak point of ck9... it doesn't extend far as compare to im716 or sf5pro. but still far better than um1, um2, d-jays.

overall, i think ck9 is a very value for $ IEM... not that i do not like im716. both is good to my ear. i'll rotate both for different uses. effectively, i'm have 3 different IEM in hand. im716 HD, im716 Bass and ck9.

Some pictures for you guys to see 1st.

CK9 in it case

IPB Image

CK9 Driver

IPB Image

CK9 in my ear. It does not seat like the UMs

IPB Image

Comparison to SF5pro with FS mod

IPB Image

Design and Cord

On the first look and from the picture from AT, it look like the CK9 is wore the same style as um1 or um2. But no. On the picture, you can see the CK9 is not seating in my ear. But CK9 is even more comfy than um1.

The wire is rough and thick which is a let down to me... the thick wire causes microphonic which is more than im716 wearing aka shure style. The wire also tend to cure up itself. it never seems to be straighten. How i wish AT use CK7 wire on CK9.

The noozle is big. it almost same size as E2 but smaller than UE SF series. i'll do some moding so i can try to use SF biflange when i got mine. Some people complain it hard to get the fit with CK9 but it not the case for me. just pop in and there my musics goes.

Case is over in shape. Similar to Westone case but much smaller. There is 2 pocket in the case.

Devices Used For Testing

ipod Nano 1st Generation with rockbox

Line Out Dock

DIY Canare cable with L shape Neutrik Plug

GoVibe V5

iM716 Bass Mode

CK9

SF5pro

Sound

Wow. For it price, it will give um1, d-jays, e2, e3 a run money. it very warm sound. much more than um1 and um2. Soundstage is there. It much more than im716.

Bass

Very rich and natural. It produce much less impact compare to im716 Bass mode. But it can be eq to a pretty heavy level without distortion. It had a good extension but slightly less than SF5pro

Mid

Very rich, creamy, warm and smooth. It reminds me of E4. And from my memory, E4 even lose out in warmth as compared. Details is slightly lacking compare to im716 here, but more than that of SF5pro. I used to think im716 was warmer than SF5pro and now CK9 was so much warmer than iM716 so go figure out

Treble

Treble might be the weakness of CK9. There seems to be roll off at the Hi-mid region. But CK9 still extend much futher than the UMs in my opinion.

Round Off

ck9 is a very musical IEM. The sound is very smooth and fun. Normally I would consider very long to decide should I buy a earphones but ck9, without thinking i wanted to buy it. It'll replace my iM716 for casual listening. For it price, it really hard to resist. I preordered a black colour set. Now waiting till 1st week of dec for my CK9 to arrive. Can't wait for it. Well Done AT for it 1st IEM

Edited by theory_87