Sign in to follow this  
nightbreed

Got the new Apple Shuffle. What goes with it?

I just got myself the new Shuffle. I'm thinking of getting a pair of closed cans for it, as well as an amp.

And yes, it's true - I am a basshead. :rolleyes:

1st question: Is there any point in getting closed cans and amp for it? Huge 'phones + large amp + tiny DAP = overkill. :blink:

2nd question: With a budget of $150, what's a good closed headphones to get. I've already got a Sennheiser PX100, but I still hear environmental sounds. And I don't like the feel of IEMs. The Grado SR60 I have is not for commuting.

3rd question: I got a Dr Amp and a PA2V2. Any reason to get better amps? I have this crazy idea of a Larocco or similar. :think:

4th question: I've been to Jaben (more than a year ago), I've heard of Stereo Exchange. Is there a one-stop shop to audition 'phones and amps?

Or should I not bother and just stick with PX100 + PA2V2?

Oh, by the way, I suffer from CAS.

(Compulsive Acquisition Syndrome)

Thank you for reading.

...er...I also have the Creative Zen Micro. How about cans and amps for this?

Edited by nightbreed

Unless u want big close can, a ATH-A500 will be nice. Amp wise think a PA2v2 is good enough unless u really want to go for something like Xin, RSA Hornet or the larocco.

If you're considering a closed can for portable use, the AKG K81DJ is a good bet. Give it an audition, but keep this in mind: comfort improves upon stretching and usage, and sound quality improves upon removing the central foam.

personally i like how Px100 sounds more than my iem, clarity is there and warm enough for me. so need not get big cans because they might end up too problemsome to bring out ( one unfolderable big can and one headphone amp).. help you to save money.. haha.. alot of ppl in the states like px100, singaporeans.. not so sure.. :)

Unless u want big close can, a ATH-A500 will be nice. Amp wise think a PA2v2 is good enough unless u really want to go for something like Xin, RSA Hornet or the larocco.

Hmm. Looks like you have the Hornet. May I know where you got it from and for how much? In terms of size, it looks more compatible with the 2G Shuffle.

Oh, and what about interconnects? Or should I just pop down to Jaben and SE for an audition? :D

The Hornet is still bigger then the shuffle considerably. Smaller then then the Xenos or govibe by abt 1/4 from the width tats abt it. I ordered it direct and it took 2 weeks.

Interconnects u have to go test yourself. The difference between each cable is quite little and is really up to your preference.

If you want an amp tats really small you can wait for RSA Tomahawk or Xin Supermini.

Btw how much is the new shuffle?

Edited by tassardar_

The Hornet is still bigger then the shuffle considerably. Smaller then then the Xenos or govibe by abt 1/4 from the width tats abt it. I ordered it direct and it took 2 weeks.

Interconnects u have to go test yourself. The difference between each cable is quite little and is really up to your preference.

If you want an amp tats really small you can wait for RSA Tomahawk or Xin Supermini.

Btw how much is the new shuffle?

The 2G Shuffle is S$138, I think S$129 for UOB cardholders.

There's this iCute which looks smaller. I think it's at Jaben. I'll go have a look (listen?) tomorrow.

I don't like the look of the Supermini. Looks like my PA2V2.

Heard of the Hornet, but not the Tomahawk. Did a Google, no luck. What's it look like?

The Tomahawk is another amp developed by Ray Samuels. I believe it's more of an IEM amp. There are the words "IEM" on their casing.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=206829

I believe headfi was down last night, hence not being able to search for the page.

PS: A rather pretty amp, don't you think? :P

Edited by aaron-xp

I don't think it's been release yet, not too sure about that.

Anyway, I doubt it'll be available in Singapore, unless Aron comes up with some deal. Otherwise, shipping from US would be the only way to get them I don't think you can get them in the second-hand market for quite some time also, given their "newness".

Hmm bro, I am a basshead too, I've been to Stereo Electronics (not exchange) causeway point, woodlands, a few good bass ones would be definitely the 1 mentioned earlier on by Kehyi, AKG 81DJ ($109). Otherwise try AKG 26P also good but the metal band, kiap my hair..if u wear cap or be more careful, its decent bass! $79 if i am not wrong..

Jaben, I have to be honest, try DT770 for fun ($300+ out of your budget), try out how it manages the bass, sounds very smooth instead of slamming which, akg 81, 26p is better & stronger for what I feel.

As well as, DTX700, DTX900, which are also I find the bass, good, there are differences between the two models definitely, so try them out.

Grado, I feel MS1 rather good as well, balanced, not too slamming, not too thin. See if its acceptable for you then.

Sounds abit cheapskate, but AHP524..if u're willing 2 give it a chance @ $48, PK computers @ funan, i personal find it slamming alot onto my ears, but the signature, definitely you have 2 give it a chance, listen them out.

happy listenin, rock on! :party:

I don't think it's been release yet, not too sure about that.

Anyway, I doubt it'll be available in Singapore, unless Aron comes up with some deal. Otherwise, shipping from US would be the only way to get them I don't think you can get them in the second-hand market for quite some time also, given their "newness".

ah... haha.. looks really good and small. =)

Kenchi,

Thanks for your recommendations! :thumbup: I was at SE today. Auditioned the 1. AKG26P, 2. AKG81DJ, and the 3. Panasonic RP-HTX7. Also, I plugged them all into the Xenos OHS-REP.

I tried the 26P 1st, and was very pleased with it. It sounded better than my PX100, not by alot, but noticeably. I don't know how to describe in audiophile language. :D The draw back was that it didn't cover my ears properly, leaving gaps that allowed environmental sounds in. But I was still impressed by what I heard.

Next I tried the 81DJ. Nope. Didn't like it. I preferred the 26P, in terms of SQ, aesthetics and build quality. 81DJ has too much plastic and looks...cheap.

Lastly, I tried the HTX7. I felt the SQ was almost as nice as the 26P's, but since the speakers/drivers? were further away from my ear, the music sounded like it was further away. It covered my ears very nicely and shut out environmental sounds. Most comfy of the three. Aesthetically pleasing, too. I tried the black.

On the 26P and HTX7, I picked up sound effects that I didn't catch on my PX100. So that was a pleasant surprise.

On all models, I found that my ears couldn't really hear any difference whether or not the Xenos amp was used. Could be my ears not so good. So, no reason to switch from my Dr Amp.

Anyway, I went and bought the HTX7. White. Heheh. With brushed aluminum Shuffle. And maybe an iCute Battery, blue faceplate. Nice. :lust::P

So, I shall start burn in process tomorrow and over the next 3-4 days.

The Tomahawk is another amp developed by Ray Samuels. I believe it's more of an IEM amp. There are the words "IEM" on their casing.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=206829

I believe headfi was down last night, hence not being able to search for the page.

PS: A rather pretty amp, don't you think? :P

This IS SO PRETTY! :lust::lust::lust:

I'm a guy, but sorry for sounding like a bimbo, but the Tomahawk is aesthetically the most pleasing amp I've ever clapped eyes on. For US295, I'd buy it. From what I've read, it can also drive low impedence headphones. Hmm. I hope it'll drive my HTX7. Is 40 ohms considered low?