Sign in to follow this  
Stereo_Electronics

UM56

I don't think any of the fault here is on Jaben and Wilson. He never said that the customs were made by Westone. When i asked him who made them when I got my impressions done, he did not say Westone. Simply, what happened is a customer got the customs, thought it was a UM56 or a "Custom One Off" and described it to others as a such. Stereo Electronics investigated and created the announcement.

Did Jaben or Stereo do anything wrong? No, they did not, in any way you look at it, lie.

Was Stereo's announcement unethical? In my opinion, no. They were simply telling the public that not all custom earmolds are UM56's.

This is possibly the most sensible, unbiased post in this whole thread.

If I were to read the review and come to realise that they weren't in fact um56s, I would have the impression that they are fakes too, and I believe that this was the situation under which SE made the post warning about imitations. If anything we should ask why was this fact of third party moulds "made for the um2s" is not clearly communicated in the first place. The issue is not in selling third party products (or mass order whatever you call it or whoever is conducting it, dealer or not) but in the intentional or unintentional misrepresentations that result in selling these products.

From a third person neutrall party perspective, SE did a service to us consumers in clearing up the wrong assumptions of the reviewer. That is all to the matter.

If anything constructive can come out of this, it would be a comparison of the different type of earmoulds, which is what I had been expecting reading so far into this thread. We are, afterall looking for the best bang for the buck. And if some of you flamers here haven't realised it yet, your actions here aren't exactly helping Jaben's image, good intentions notwithstanding.

If you want the truth of the UM56 from Jaben, why will it have to come from Stereo Electronics? Why Westones did not address the issue themselves? Only Westone themselves is fit to address the issue.

Another question is : Are we bashing Stereo Electronics for this issue and what makes you think so? If so, who else was attacked too?

If you do not believe in a ONE-OFF produce by reputatable audio companies, it's fine with me. Do not name them fake or imitations.

Oh well.. the rest of your queries were answered by SE. I shall just quote these from your reply. Is there anything wrong with a Westone dealer pointing out 'so called' UM56 that wasn't? So Westone shld go every forum and browse through every post? Earlier on when SE posted about this issue, some were saying he shld have concrete evidence before making such allegations, asking him to check his facts and not who shld be the one making this statement.

If you bothered to read you'll notice the mention of business ethics. Anyway to sum it all up, the use of the word "imitation" was partly due to misunderstanding of the original custom tip review. Even till now I do not know whether the custom tips are from Westone or not but that isn't the point here, cos I am not in the position to fault either dealer.

If you are fine with your custom tips then so be it. If I bought an iPod thinking it was by Apple, but later turned out to be a similar looking MP3 player which wasn't by Apple, I'll be pissed off even if it's very much usable like an Apple iPod. Of course there are others who are perfectly fine with it, as long as it functions well. Even so, there's still a need to warn other members, members who are looking to buy UM56 by Westone and not other brands.

zonalblitz_audio:However you said you would provide local warrenty from foreign MO goods. Local warrenty will means I will be able to send back to the local distribution centre for repairs or sorts (without charges within warrenty period).

IF you said you would provide warrenty covers over the MO products by your shop, so be it.

On another hand, you said you would do MOs when you're free. I rest my case here.

Aron: Simon say, Aron do MO. LOL Who do you think you are? LOL

zonalblitz_audio: I suppose another dealer would react differently to this situation.

1. Inform Westone about possible 'imitations' (if you think they were)

2. Sit and await reply. Not take charge of the situation yourself.

3. There is nothing you can do as a competitive dealer. Westone will have an solution on addressing the issue if found to be an 'imitation'.

The other forum has amended to Westone Customs. It has been claimed a One-Off from Westone, believe it or not, your choice. It's only courtesy to respect their word, whether or not anyone ever believes it.

Aron: Please read again, it's in bold..... NOT WESTONE. Or do you need me to copy and paste?

zonalblitz_audio:We can easily check the Recommended Retail Pricing (RRP) from the product's website. The fellow forumers have been posting the prices all around the forum. Any consumer will be able attain the pricing of a certain dealer by word of mouth from anyway. Anyone of us would be able to know which pricings are higher than the other. Lower prices have liability to gather more sales, especially in a regional forum. One retailer's sale have benefited from the attractive prices, other retailers have bitten the bullet with it. Retailers will start dropping the particular product one by one. Local distributor would not be happy if the retailer jeopardize the market.

Aron: I seriously don't think you get it, as a dealer I can give discount. First time I'm questioned for giving too much discount.

zonalblitz_audio:My worries about over-pricing. As a consumer, if you find the pricing at a particular place is over-priced (pricing way up higher than Recommended Retail Pricing), don't buy from them! Simple.

Aron: So you are probably the kind that would pay $800 for the Shure E500PTH. :rclxms:

zonalblitz_audio:If a lurker (with no intentions to become a member) who surfs along the forums, saw things that ought to be moderated or corrected will leave them a very bad impression. It will only reflect on the style in the forum. However, if they liked it that way, so be it.

:think:

Edited by Stereo_Electronics

We are veering further and further away from the original topic and points are being repeated endlessly, so it seems I am left with no choice but to close this thread before it turns into a flaming party.

Our members are welcome to start another thread under a more appropriate title to discuss this issue should they see a need to do so, which I personally don't. I appeal to all our members to keep the discussions civil.

Finally, I wish to clarify that I was the one who changed the title of the Announcement thread to "Third Party Westone Customs", and added "Possible UM56 Imitations", NOT SE (Aron). The latter is not an attack on Jaben for providing UM56 imitations (we already know they are not), but a warning to our members to be wary of UM56 lookalikes that may be pedalled by other dealers as the real McCoy. I brought this up in one of my previous posts for those who bothered to read.