Sign in to follow this  
razer

Help for home networking solutions. ADSL gateway? Or modem + router?

Hi, I'am currently using the Linksys WAG354G and its been working fine when I'am wired to it. However, using its wireless can be a pain in the arse...Its really weak and unstable and I'am having frequent disconnections when my room is just 4metres away from it with two doors separating us. The ADSL gateway doesn't come with an antenna and its just a square box so I was wondering if that the case for weak reception...

And btw, when I turn on the wireless connection in my computer, even my neighbour's linksys router showed a stronger signal of 78% than my own linksys ADSL gateway...I was like standing next to it and the signal strength was only 70%...

So could anyone recommend me a top notch ADSL gateway? Price isn't much of a consideration as I'am really determined to get this whole home networking problem settled once and for all.

Or do you think it would be better if I went for a ADSL modem and then purchase a 802.11n router for better coverage and signal strength? I've checked out the "linksys WRT300N Wireless-N Broadband Router" as well as the "WRT350N Wireless-N Gigabit Router with Storage Link". How do they perform? Or should I be considering something like a gaming router since I've heard that they perform pretty well and are more lag free? I've checked out the D-Link Gaming Router DGL-4300

As for ADSL gateways, I've looked into the NETGEAR DG834GT 108Mpbs, NETGEAR DG834PN 108Mpbs and the 3Com 3CRWDR200A 108Mpbs. How are they?

You can simply keep your existing Linksys ADSL router and buy another wireless Access Point. Less configuration needs to be done.

Modem + Router will be a better choice. Like you mentioned, the cost is not a issue. Go with the D-Link gaming router. It will give you more options to play with.

I have no experience with ADSL gateways, as I use Cable modem. Do consider the compatibility issue with the ADSL connections also.

Hi, I'am currently using the Linksys WAG354G and its been working fine when I'am wired to it. However, using its wireless can be a pain in the arse...Its really weak and unstable and I'am having frequent disconnections when my room is just 4metres away from it with two doors separating us. The ADSL gateway doesn't come with an antenna and its just a square box so I was wondering if that the case for weak reception...

And btw, when I turn on the wireless connection in my computer, even my neighbour's linksys router showed a stronger signal of 78% than my own linksys ADSL gateway...I was like standing next to it and the signal strength was only 70%...

So could anyone recommend me a top notch ADSL gateway? Price isn't much of a consideration as I'am really determined to get this whole home networking problem settled once and for all.

Or do you think it would be better if I went for a ADSL modem and then purchase a 802.11n router for better coverage and signal strength? I've checked out the "linksys WRT300N Wireless-N Broadband Router" as well as the "WRT350N Wireless-N Gigabit Router with Storage Link". How do they perform? Or should I be considering something like a gaming router since I've heard that they perform pretty well and are more lag free? I've checked out the D-Link Gaming Router DGL-4300

As for ADSL gateways, I've looked into the NETGEAR DG834GT 108Mpbs, NETGEAR DG834PN 108Mpbs and the 3Com 3CRWDR200A 108Mpbs. How are they?

I am a Non Believer of Wireless Networking .

If price / budget is not an issue i recommend u get some contractor to get ur house "wired up" and go for full copper based networks hehe .

Last time i rememberd i had mine done for under $600 ( trunking , wiring ,abit of drilling etc etc )

The WAG354 is known to be a very very poor product. Having tried troubleshooting it before, you should almost immediately change your router if you want to retain your sainity.

You would probably be better served getting Linksys WRT54G and loading in one of the alternative firmware and running a basic ADSL modem as bridge mode or buying some alternative brands.

I'd recommend getting an Alcatel (Thomson) Speedtouch 585. It's a good ADSL(2) modem cum router. The antenna can be replaced for something more powerful if so wished.

On the other hand, you may also consider getting a separate modem + router combo. In which case, I'd recommend using a D-Link DGL-4300. It's an extremely versatile (I'd say overkill as well) router considering that it's for consumers.

It has the capability to adjust the wireless power fed into the antenna and uses a fairly common RP-SMA connector for it's external antenna (it does have an internal antenna too) so you may upgrade the antenna if need be.

You might also wish to consider the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 high power router or it's non-HP brother. Both are capable routers at fairly low cost.

As for the modem, I can't say I can recommend any but I'd avoid Linksys (ADSL2 ME), Prolink (Hurricane 6000 series) and Aztech (DSL 600EU).

I'd recommend getting an Alcatel (Thomson) Speedtouch 585. It's a good ADSL(2) modem cum router. The antenna can be replaced for something more powerful if so wished.

On the other hand, you may also consider getting a separate modem + router combo. In which case, I'd recommend using a D-Link DGL-4300. It's an extremely versatile (I'd say overkill as well) router considering that it's for consumers.

It has the capability to adjust the wireless power fed into the antenna and uses a fairly common RP-SMA connector for it's external antenna (it does have an internal antenna too) so you may upgrade the antenna if need be.

You might also wish to consider the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 high power router or it's non-HP brother. Both are capable routers at fairly low cost.

As for the modem, I can't say I can recommend any but I'd avoid Linksys (ADSL2 ME), Prolink (Hurricane 6000 series) and Aztech (DSL 600EU).

Thanks guys but in the end, I called in the cable guy and did cabling from my room the the room the Modem's in. Wired is still the best...And I also added a 7dbi atenna for the WAG354g and the signal is so much better now..

Pls hor if you tweak yr router to be more powerful.. yr audio aka headphone system might pick up some distortion sound....

I so called increase the power of my router and i can hear.. "t*t t*t" sound.. play ard with the tubes... ICs.... then finally then i try power down my router and the sound gone.. :bash:

Pls hor if you tweak yr router to be more powerful.. yr audio aka headphone system might pick up some distortion sound....

I so called increase the power of my router and i can hear.. "t*t t*t" sound.. play ard with the tubes... ICs.... then finally then i try power down my router and the sound gone.. :bash:

Lol....Your case sounds abit too extreme.... :blink: But so far, I hear no distortion or any funny signals...I know of a friend who brings his IEMs and PA2V2 on the subway and complained that it was unlistenable cause of all the handphone signals that the amp was picking up...Haha...

It would be better to get a modem and router separately firstly, with the ever changing broadband plans, you would have to upgrade to a ADSL2+ modems to keep up. Also if 1 component breaks down, at least you still can use the internet( that's if the router breaks down). Also combo components have a higher chance of spoiling( no idea why, but my gateway died faster than my router and modem)

My experience with a gateway(WAG54G) was that it kept dc-ing.

A gateway is good for

1. port forwarding

2. centralised management

3. remote desktop access