Sign in to follow this  
heady

Bookshelf speakers

Hi, any one would like to recommend their fav bookshelf speakers, suitable for bedroom, either active or passive? Budget is below S$1000 but prefer to be about S$500+.

Usher S-520. Excellent speakers for the money. Looks good too. Should cost around $500+ at X-Audio.

IPB Image

Regards

CK

Edited by ckng

Heady,

Do you have an amplifier already? If not i'd reccomend active bookshelf monitors like EMU PM5, ESI Near series. Good value for money and very decent sound quality. Plus you don't need a spend on an amplifier.

I do not think a pair of $500-1k passive loudspeakers would satisfy music lovers who have been using high end headphones as their primary stereo.

Wow, so much response, thanks guys. Am in Indonesia when I posted the question. Still here in fact but last 2 days got no internet.

I heard Alesis and KRK active speakers in the showroom in the showroom at Parklane basement. Very tempted by the KRK but so expensive. So angling for some advice to see if I should go for it. I think I owe it to you all to audition the Usher.

And Fishball, you know, it's not me but my wife who is critical. My main amps were in the workshop a long time, so was my speakers. She didn't want to listen to the temp setup I borrowed. Now my speakers are back and although I am still using my diy amp5, she is happy. She wants a bedroom setup now. Now, how many people has a wife with such critical ears? :lol:

If you don't mind, fishball, any recommended shops for the speakers you mentioned? I don't have a small amp for the bedroom yet, so I can consider active speakers.

hmm...

I don't have bookshelf speakers yet.

But read on some magazines and forums.

Normally will recommend, wharfadale, quad 11l and mission 751 for starting out.

Then also found out Monitor Audio BR2 is given a very good review for its price.

Magazine listed RRP $179 pound.

You'll have to bring along a DAP to test test your fave tracks, i cant really tell u what is best for ur wife. Cannot reccomend shop since i dunno where most are sold. I reccomend soft dome tweeter in a waveguide if possible and harder poly woofer cones.

KRK - Probably too clinical for music enjoyment, all that kevlar drivers..

Alesis - Decent brand but $$$ considering the quality...

ESI Near - Heard at jaben, I like it, nice tweeter, nice woofer. i strongly reccomend listneing to them NOT on top of this pair of floorstanding loudspeakers that they are propped on, those speakers affect the monitor sound in a positive way.

EMU PM5 - Havent heard but looked like a good design to me based on seeing them in person and checking the specs. pro audio brands dont embellish their specs like home audio ones do.

Adam Audio - I think these are DAMN good but very costly. All of them uses ribbon tweets so highs will be sweet and accurate. I reccomend the cheaper plastic cone ones, the higher end greenish cones are too detailed for easy listening.

Mackie HR824 - This is one example of plastic cone midwoofer that i dislike. You want some colouration but these are too much. They use Vifa 8" poly cones, nvr liked them. Slow and muddy.

Fostex monitors - tho i say i like poly cones i think paper is the best. These are the few rare ones that uses paper still.

Yamaha active monitors (esppecially the poly cone woofer monitor thats painted white) - The reason yamaha monitors are famous are due to their paper woofers, which has always been white. Now they sell cheapass ones looking like the old ones but dont sound anything like it. I think can ignore them.

Non pro/active recc... only reccomend single fullrange drivers now... hate passive xo :)

JVC wood cone speakers - They do sell the speakers only i believe but not cheap.

My diy speakers - See my current signature. THey are creative sound's FR125S in 9litre enclosures. Very good fullrange driver but needs at least 100w, no, REALLY. No crossover filter needed and can fit very small boxes (2litres minimum) tho 7litre ported at 70hz seems like a very nice alignment. Drivers are $260 a pair from AHF Art audio.

Just my two cents.

Genelecs and ATC active monitors will make good monitor speakers.

I have a pair of Genelec 1031A that are "sadly" under-utilised,

The Adam speaker and ATC's will make excellent monitors if you have the $$$. These are used by the Pros for sound master, I have personally used them for my Protools sessions......

:))

I've used ATC passive speaker before, I must say they are sound good on the ears but ugly for the eyes..... but that was years ago.

Edited by Stereo_Electronics

Remember guys, $1k budget... its not even enough to get ATC's smallest passive monitor!

Not to mention ATCs needing incredulous amounts of power in order to sing...

And Fishball, you know, it's not me but my wife who is critical. My main amps were in the workshop a long time, so was my speakers. She didn't want to listen to the temp setup I borrowed. Now my speakers are back and although I am still using my diy amp5, she is happy. She wants a bedroom setup now. Now, how many people has a wife with such critical ears? :lol:

Wow Heady, good for you!! At least she won't be nagging you when you splurge on those audio stuffs!! :rclxms:

Try the ESI nEar from Jaben, or for a very even sound get the Yamaha HS-80. Don't buy the M-audio actives. They're clones of the ESIs.