Sign in to follow this  
heady

Bookshelf speakers

Wow, the recommendations are over-whelming. Will certainly give the ESI a try. I like "uncle" Wilson and so would like to give him business if possible.

Kross - problem is, I got no $$$ to splurge. got to watch the budget man. :cry:

Thanks guys.

Don't buy the M-audio actives. They're clones of the ESIs.

Gahman,

Could you explain how you come to know this? Know anything else anyone cloned?

I'm particularly interested in clones of dynaudio drivers, Lynx soundcards and other very expensive audio gear :D

what a thread to +1 a poor man's temptation to get a cd player and also kick off an addiction for speakers.

wow actually i visited taiwan last week and saw in a couple of the shops the brand Usher. i thought it's just some normal local brand, didn't know it's so reknowned until i hear of it here!

btw sorry for a noob question. is nEar pronounced as "n-ear" or "near"?

heady you're so lucky to have a woman who shares such a unique passion as yours! :thumbup:

Have you considered one of the JBL Control's? They're not too steep and they just have this signature JBL shine in the sound that people like so much.

heady you're so lucky to have a woman who shares such a unique passion as yours! :thumbup:

Yes, I am blessed!! Our favourite pass time is to listen to Roger Whittaker or James Galway.

wow actually i visited taiwan last week and saw in a couple of the shops the brand Usher. i thought it's just some normal local brand, didn't know it's so reknowned until i hear of it here!

What? I also was in Taiwan 2 weeks ago but never saw any hifi shop, as I didn't know where to look. :wallbash:

Monitor Audio produce some pretty decent speakers. If you are getting a bookshelf, you have to also add the cost of the stand. So you should also consider floor standers around the bookshelf + $200 range.

Hi, any one would like to recommend their fav bookshelf speakers, suitable for bedroom, either active or passive? Budget is below S$1000 but prefer to be about S$500+.

Hi Heady,

Get a used pair of dyn contour 1.1, should be below $1k. The problem is that it was discontinued and they are now very hard to come by in the 2nd hand market. I have heard the Dyn Focus series also, but personally think that it is not as good as the old dyn contour.

Used to have the Contour 1.3SE. The 1.1 is a nice speaker with good midrange, only one of the many 2 way dynaudios i heard and like .. other than this 2 way D28/2 + 17W75XL (6.5") diy i got... but its got oil caps, no fair :))

Have you considered one of the JBL Control's? They're not too steep and they just have this signature JBL shine in the sound that people like so much.

where can i audition this pair? and how much do they retail for? :P

i notice a lot of ppl recommending studio monitor types of bookshelves like alesis or even esi,

such types may not be appealing to most ppl.

actually it really boils down to the media u using and the purpose of usage.

most ppl dont find it enjoyable to listen to studio monitors, they find it too clinical

almost harsh, showing so much detail - exposing weaknesses in their compressed music (mp3)

incidentally most ppl find such speakers lacking in bass. this is evident in some boards where new esi owners expressed slight disapptments at bass and want to add a esi sw8000 subwoofer.

i guess most of us grow up spoilt by sony type of low end consumer speakers which altered our perception of music - particularly their boomy bass which mislead our sense that its really deep bass which is bloaty and muddy :(

i suggest go audition yrself personally to see which speaker really appeal u and esp to yr wife. ;)

incidentally if really going for esi, why not consider m-audio, most of its lines are virtually esi clone :X

i suggest go audition yrself personally to see which speaker really appeal u and esp to yr wife. ;)

I did and she likes the KRK v4 which is just $2 short of $1000.... ouch! Which is why I ask this forum this question. We also found the M-Audio 's midrange not clean enough. But it cost half the KRK.

Quad 12s seems to be way above my budget, they were going for $840 each. The Quad on sale in the other forum seems to be passive. Am I right? Will try to get to Jaben to have a listen at the ESI nEAR.

Thanks guys, great thread. Very informative.

Edited by heady

I did and she likes the KRK v4 which is just $2 short of $1000.... ouch! Which is why I ask this forum this question. We also found the M-Audio 's midrange not clean enough. But it cost half the KRK.

Quad 12s seems to be way above my budget, they were going for $840 each. The Quad on sale in the other forum seems to be passive. Am I right? Will try to get to Jaben to have a listen at the ESI nEAR.

Thanks guys, great thread. Very informative.

Heady, whatever you do, DO NOT go for the M-Audio. The company I work for own "M-Audio" the company, I have twenty pairs in my office, have to use them because they are part of the in-house "demo-gear". You do not want to know why I am saying that...... For professional work and serious listening I have always used Genelec, ATC, Tannoys and even Rolands for the job, but sadly have to do M-Audio for now.

If you are interested I have a pair of ex-demo active Genelec 1031A that you can have for the price of the KRK :))

I tried one of the Genelecs (can't remember which, smallish one) - it sounds just like a studio monitor should - accurate and flat, which might be too "boring" for general music listening. :P

Regards

CK