huangyong

Question for the mod(s)

Frist of all, thanks for the mods for maitaining this not so easy forum.

Just a simple question, are dealers like SE and bluetin have direct financial contribution to support the forum?

if yes, good for everyone.

if no, then i think it's a good idea that we do the old ways.. when dealers are dealers, forum is forum. no money or interest involved, thus no such argument involved.

just my 2 cents.

lets just have a forum.

regarding dealers and what nots:

if i wanted to shop for something its up to me to do proper research and choose where i want to buy my sh%t.

seriously, we don't need price wars / personal attacks (direct or indirect) here. remember if you get cheated / or feel cheated, you have only yourself to blame and you deserve it.

which ever shop you prefer to patron is up to you. i seriously don't give two hoots about this "political" crap. and i'm sure we all don't need this sh$t.

Frist of all, thanks for the mods for maitaining this not so easy forum.

Just a simple question, are dealers like SE and bluetin have direct financial contribution to support the forum?

if yes, good for everyone.

if no, then i think it's a good idea that we do the old ways.. when dealers are dealers, forum is forum. no money or interest involved, thus no such argument involved.

just my 2 cents.

I gotta say, that might be the best way

If there's no financial contribution, i think there should be just one kind of member.. well, other than a few mods i guess

This is my take and I may not have all the facts right about this one - yotaio is in a better/clearer position to answer this but since she's rather disgusted with what's going on in sgheadphones right now I'll answe first and she can correct me at a latter date.

As some of you may know sgheadphones was started by ablaze who was also our first admin. He did this with his own money. At some point, I think when renewal costs came up, myself and a few others made contributions (financial) to sustain this ever growing forum. This proved to be cumbersome. An alternative was required like collecting revenue through advertisements. As ours is a small forum the revenue generated is frankly paltry at best. When yotiao was appointed by ablaze to take over, she wanted to make several major improvements. Some we persuaded her not to do as the time was not right. Since dealers started to become active and obviously got some benefit form the pool of potential customers we decided that this would be a better and fairer way to finance this forum. We had no qualms about losing one dealer (even though it meant less revenue) and we have no qualms about losing the others if they prove to violate any rule or regulation and behave in a manner that we deem to be in bad faith (ie not in good faith).

Edit: I have spoken to yotiao and I can now confirm that sgheadphones had the intent but did not collect any money from any dealer period.

I hope that has cleard things up for you Huang Yong. If you have any futher doubts, issues, speculative thoughts please feel free to PM me.

If you like you can contribute financially to this forum I'll bring this up to fellow mods and admin and we can discuss if we want to accept this new method. Shall I call you tonight to discuss how much you're willing to contribute on a monthly basis?

BTW I would like all of you to know that yotiao has been paying by herself to maintain this forum and putting in the time and effort to get things right and keeping it working. I dont see too many of you thanking her!

Hi Rameish, May I know how much money it take to maintain this forum?

I remember there was a time about a year ago when Ablaze was running this forum and SGHeadphones had a call for donations. A few members and I donated a sum of money to this forum during our mini-meet session and we all got extra mailbox space and special mention as contributors.

Even thought I am a lurker in the forum now, I don't mind donating a small sum of money once in a while because I do get lots of good info from kind people here.

Why not start that Call for Donations again? I am sure that there will always be the kind ones who do help out. :beer:

hi rameish, i undertand the finacial needs for the forum. I am sure you guys are doing your best to keep this comminity alive because of your passion about audio and also have a place of sharing and learning. I've been this forum for quite sometimes, and I can tell you this is one of the place i will definitely log on to everytime I get hold of internet. I love this place and wish it could be better than what we have now.

Regarding the idea of donation, with the number of members, if 10% of us, active memebrs are willing to give 2 dollars each , we might have more than enough to fund this home. I really appreciate you mods for all your financial contribution and effot, but if you guys have difficulty in financing the forum, Please speak it out, and I am sure the people here will difinitely contribute their best, at least I will, at reasonable amount.

Also, if possible please tell us the expenses of this forum. I think the webspace should be less than $200 a year?

Huang Yong,

Your estimate for the webspace is way way under.

Anyway it's too much of a bother to collect $2 from 10% of the forum. What I'm looking for is for a few (may be 3-4) key contributors. Can I count you in? If it happens that is.

wow. more than 200?! Please let us know what kind of server this is. Do you really need so much webspace or bandwidth for a forum? how much exactly goes on in here?

is this server used for personal uses thus the cost? perhaps you can shed the light on this matter. :)

Just curious, no obligations, if there are confidentiality issues.

---CUT ---

BTW I would like all of you to know that yotiao has been paying by herself to maintain this forum and putting in the time and effort to get things right and keeping it working. I dont see too many of you thanking her!

Thanks yotiao. It may seemed an unappreciated effort but you should know that there are many people out there who really love this forum.

If Rameish can let us know the approx cost, then we will know how much we need to contribute to keep this forum alive.

Thanks Rameish.

wah.. i am surprised the expenses for maintaining this forum is so high!!

if $200 is still way way under??? .. hmm.. with rules of thumb.. if more than $200 means our forum is taking up more than 200MB of space, that's huge.

If you are going to collect small amount from 10% of members one by one, it's going to be tough. Why don't we organize a fund raising campaign or donation drive? with e-Banking, donation of few bucks can be done there and then, and the transaction record can be print screen and posted on the thread. totally transparent and efficient.

.. I am willing to help conducting donation drive for this cause. All to be transparent and shown in the thread.

Just a suggestion, I am not as rich as some of you out there, but what i can do is to contribute a little and challenge other to contribute too.

So please share with us the high expenses? at least we will know and underdstand the sacrifice these years.

huang yong,

It's not a one time cost as it keeps recurring annually. I'm not suggesting you're rich, I know as a former student you have come to my place many a time and even given you diy stuff. I wouldnt have given them if I thought you were rich :-) now would I.So believe me when I say I know that as you take your first steps into adulthood that things can be financially tight. But the S$2 amount is simply too small a contribution unless it can be automated. Plus the headache of having to comply with with I dont even know what rules and regulations are out there. I dont want to break any laws.

But thanks for the offer.

The mods and admin are working somthing out right now. I think we'll be okay for the next year or so.

huang yong,

It's not a one time cost as it keeps recurring annually. I'm not suggesting you're rich, I know as a former student you have come to my place many a time and even given you diy stuff. I wouldnt have given them if I thought you were rich :-) now would I.So believe me when I say I know that as you take your first steps into adulthood that things can be financially tight. But the S$2 amount is simply too small a contribution unless it can be automated. Plus the headache of having to comply with with I dont even know what rules and regulations are out there. I dont want to break any laws.

But thanks for the offer.

The mods and admin are working somthing out right now. I think we'll be okay for the next year or so.

C'mon man. Is $10 by paypal do-able? Or $20? Work it as an annual subscription? I want this forum to survive.

Thank you to all the mods and administrators (past and current) on making this forum available.

Won't be in this hobby if not for this website and invaluable tips from forumers.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

C'mon man. Is $10 by paypal do-able? Or $20? Work it as an annual subscription? I want this forum to survive.