Sign in to follow this  
Blues

Ablaze I am joining you!!

I was using it straight out of my iriver slimx a few days ago and it sounded loud enough even at 20/40 volume

Edited by Blues

To put it into prospective, when I heard Mat's iPod using the RS-1 both amped & unamped I didn't like either. Unfortunately it was briefly only & on Norah Jones mp3 which is not exactly a good choice. It has more than enough power to run the RS-1 on it's own but I guess it's all down to you as an individual how much sound quality compromise you find acceptable. Having said that, who knows, maybe the AAC encoding is significantly better than mp3s.

mp3 is not the way to go period !

Other coding's or even lossless may reap some benefits (if any). iPod and ER 4S can deliver IMHO, just that the let down is in the format. etys.gif

Portablely speaking! Using my ER 4S<META Mint with the iPod does not improve albeit you get more volume (louder), so I don't see amping the headphone out as logical not that you need to hear things that loud anyway with the Ety's. If the iPod has got a lineout (BTW the latest incarnation does have it via a base/dock) it would be totally a different ball game.

I reiterate the use of the 4S with other portables from the line out is alot to be desired due to the fact that the 4S is a darn though cookie to drive and also it reveals the short coming of the source materials (be it CD's, mp3's etc. etc.).

Yeah it is that good! etys.gif

I use etys to listen to mp3s off my laptop soundcard

bon jovi - all about loving you sounds fantastic

sure it lacks a little resolution and am,bience as compared to the cd version on marantz out of ha-1 , but hey... it's not bad!!

I am thinking of pairing it with my slimx and laptop for mp3..

I have like 14 GB of mp3s. Most of them a 128kbps. Most of the 128kbps sound aweful these days.

I have 10 Gig.. probably need ipod or that nomad...

I have....

....computation in progress(a*bb+xx-10+yy**%%), please wait....

40-50GBs of WMA & MP3...

but I hardly listen to them this day..

I would much prefer to build a CD collection cool.gif

5 cds and counting . tongue.gif

MP3 simply doesn't make the mark of audiophile standards. I have a 2nd generation mp3 player JazPiper that was well praised by some reviewers but the sound is simply no match for a good pcdp.

Edited by Mackie

yeap.. mp3 won't be able to beat cd quality on dedicated cd players.

But.. there is an exception. I am pretty confident that mp3s ripped well with at least LAME and 192kbps and above , can be on par with cd quality. I've tried it and I can't hear the difference with my pcdp. Coz usually pcdp isn't that great either... unless you talk about those retro sony discman, eg d303 , d777 etc biggrin.gif

Even the sony flagship 1000 doesn't sound that good according to many reviews wink.gif

This is how I would put it..

Portable setup: go for mp3 players. More convenient, tons of songs,no hassle of bringing bags of cds if you want to listen to many songs and pretty good quality. Also you won't be able to hear the difference when you're out on bus or in mrt. The noise will mask the detail and stuffs...

That's why I never buy pcdp that plays only cd. It's just not productive, IMO. For me it's either an ipod in the future or the iriver cdps that can playback both.

Home: get cd player with an amp.

Edited by Blues

Iriver eh? unsure.gif

I wonder if I can get one in Australia.

I've been trying to decide weather I want an PCDP or mp3 player.

Edited by Wortel