Sign in to follow this  
Konig

need to pay tax for online goods?

Im not sure what kind of tax singapore charges for goods you import overseas. just gst or gst + import tax???

any1 here with experience?

You pay 5% GST on imported items only if they exceed a certain value, $400 IIRC.

You pay 5% GST on imported items only if they exceed a certain value, $400 IIRC.

so i just tell the seller to underdeclare....

Thanks

Are your online goods covered by insurance? If you declare your goods lower than the amount you paid, the insurance will only cover to the amount you declare. Things gets lost and damaged quite often via post. Just be careful on how much you want to declare, you maybe losing much more.

Too much of a hassle to underdeclare. I rather state actual amount and pay the GST. It aint worth the risk.

eizo monitors are packed very scientifically and DHL has never failed me once in my life......

eizo monitors are packed very scientifically and DHL has never failed me once in my life......

I wouldn't count on it. The packaging is good but shippers can do pretty nasty things.

Why don't you just buy from PowerMatic? Or is it the 5 to 6 weeks lead time that's the issue?

Note that this $400 figure may include the amount you paid for shipping the item to Singapore. SingPost once collected the GST from me plus a collection fee! Worse, they based the GST the total amount on the invoice which includes the cost of shipping.

These days, I ask the seller not to pack a paper invoice and declare only the value of goods. But this is sometimes not possible when you deal with a big company. Smaller companies will sometimes just send me an electronic invoice.

Hope this helps.

so conclusion is only GST, no income tax even for goods worth $400 and above??

Income tax? :shifty:

Do note that couriers (like UPS) might charge you "custom fees" (apparently to cover the "cost" of helping you get your item through customs) which can be quite substantial. I try to stick with USPS since it usually takes less than 2 weeks even for bulky items like amps, and they do not have hidden charges.