david.chew

Buying an iPod as a source

Using it to drive my DT990s, probably with a cheap amp. Any recommendations? Should I get the 4GB Nano (and encode my songs at 162kbps) or the 30GB one?

Edited by david.chew

Guest Cruise

Jus wondering. Are u intending on portable use or home use?

LD2 seems to be decent.. having a pair of flagship phones, you are not doing justice just by using mp3.. try getting it in FLAC format and get a decent DAC to pair up with ur amp..

My recommendation for ipod should be a 30GB one, since ur using FLAC format persae. If budget allows, u might wanna consider a CDP instead..

If you were to get a IPOD, get the video for its loseless format. Though I think its quite weird to use an IPOD to drive such a high grade earphone and planning to use it for home system lol. Amp wise LD2 would be nice.

Guest Cruise

its actually on my mind to use Ipod as a home source with portaphile as Im studying overseas, and backpacking frequently.. no point getting a dedicated source..

Actually, the current gen iPod video falls way short of the first iPod Shuffle for SQ IMO. I own both.

After comparing the video to the shuffle, you'll need EQ with the iPod video, and that sucks batt life away like... Something that's really good at sucking away batt life I guess. :(

Actually, the current gen iPod video falls way short of the first iPod Shuffle for SQ IMO. I own both.

After comparing the video to the shuffle, you'll need EQ with the iPod video, and that sucks batt life away like... Something that's really good at sucking away batt life I guess. :(

One of the reason why 1st gen iPod Shuffle sounds good is the MP3 audio decoder from Sigmatel, while the rest uses PortalPlayer.

However, Apple did a turn-around for the current gen Shuffle and Nano, moving to Samsung instead. Tried it and didn't think that it sounds as good as the Sigmatel.

One of the reason why 1st gen iPod Shuffle sounds good is the MP3 audio decoder from Sigmatel, while the rest uses PortalPlayer.

However, Apple did a turn-around for the current gen Shuffle and Nano, moving to Samsung instead. Tried it and didn't think that it sounds as good as the Sigmatel.

Anyone have any idea where I can pick up a first gen 1GB Shuffle in Singapore? Thinking of getting an extra/backup Shuffle.

I have earphones for portable use so the intention is to plug in the iPod into the amplifier when I get home and listen to it with my DT990s. As such, my iPod will double up for both portable and home use. I'm not using a CDP because I think it is a terrible bother to keep changing CDs - plus, I cannot compile my own playlists.

I am presently managing my music with iTunes at 192kbps AAC. It comes up to 7.95GB so I have two routes now:

1. Compress to 162kbps and get a 8GB iPod (same price as the 30GB iPod, I know, but it's smaller).

2. Expand to 320kbps and get a 30GB iPod (I've tried "converting upwards" with iTunes and it seems to work. Hmm.)

Any further advice would be much appreciated. :D

Edited by david.chew

i would not 'convert upwards' because you lose data during the conversion process.

if space is an issue, the 30gb ipod would suit u just fine. unless sound quality is your absolute priority then the 1st gen shuffle would do the trick with your audio backed up on your pc/mac on itunes.

'Converting upwards' is in effect, subjecting 'coffee' (music) that has already been 'filtered' (encoded using a LOSSY method) to another 'filter' - you can only lose 'flavour' (sound quality) if you do that. Forgive the bad analogy. :P

And end up with a larger filesize too!

The only method to fully take advantage of 320kbps would be to re-encode from the original WAV files.

Guest Cruise

do u guys actually find e 5.5G 30GB and 80GB HDD ipod actually lag alot when u are scrolling down the playlist and songs?

I went down to Apple Centre and tried them. And they are all lag. I asked e salesgirl, she said its becos its e display set and e public is "abusing" them everyday.

my question for those 5.5G ipod user, do u experience such?

Yea, I find the 5.5G iPod a bit laggy. I hear, however, that this can be overcome by disabling the "Enable album art" function in iTunes.

Edited by david.chew

Update: I have bought the 30GB (white) iPod and am now using it with the LD2+ as an amplifier - an absolute delight. The vocals are really very smooth and highs are not as wincingly harsh as before. :D

glad that you are enjoying your purchase...

are you still on the regular 192kbps or are you re-ripping everything to 320? i think that its been advised against going from 192 to 320 from the same file unless you re-rip from the original source?

happy listening!