Sign in to follow this  
kenshin_himura

I audio X5 with amp

Hey guys! i am intending to get the Iaudio X5 with an amp- Go vibes and Um1. However, i stumbled on a thread in head-fi forums that the line out in the sub pack for X5 is rather "weak" therefore i would like to ask if amping the X5 help improve the SQ?

Perhaps you guys could recommend me other sources which can be amped with the UM1s! thx

Edited by kenshin_himura

Most people prefer to amp the headphone out instead of the line out.

hmm u mean in the case of the X5? but the X5 itself has an internal amp...right?

Then could you enlighten me why ipod user amp their DAPs using the line out docks?

Yes X5 subpack is weak. Uncle Wilson has X5 line outs that work very well. X5L and go vibe with Super.fi 5 pro is what I use and its very nice. However, also being an owner of the UM1, I'd say the UM1 doesn't seem to benefit to much from this setup....

UM1 being quite a easily driven IEM dont benifit much from an amp compared to those harder to drive/multi driver IEM. For me usign the hornet, the improvement makes music more enjoyable but not fantastic cause UM1 just dont benifit much from it lol

I prefer to amp from the line-out rather than headphone out of the X5, whether it is with the original subpack or third party products. To my ears the line-out is much cleaner and I don't experience the fabled bass rolloff.

That being said, almost all in-ears benefit minimally from amping due to their high efficiency, as mentioned above. It is mostly with headphones that you realise the full potential of amping. For in-ears, most of the time you're benefitting from the tone character of the amp, which you can get with EQ.