Sign in to follow this  
kevyan

Max. hours for 'safe' listening...

Hi all,

Just wanna find out what is the max. hours that one should listen to music with their headphones/earphones

so that it will not damage the ears?

I know it depends on the volume one listen to... but let's say it's average volume..... I think 60%-65% from your source?

So... anyone?

Its still dependent lol. Cause to some people 60-65% to way too loud while to others is just nice. For me I listen from my source at les sthen 30% using IEM for like 8 hrs a day usually :P

Its still dependent lol. Cause to some people 60-65% to way too loud while to others is just nice. For me I listen from my source at les sthen 30% using IEM for like 8 hrs a day usually :P

Understand.... because of the isolation that IEM provides, one can listen to the music at volume less than 50%, but not so for some headphones, thus, one will need to turn the volume louder to compete with the noise in the environment.... that is something which I am afraid that will damage the ear...

i think stopping when it starts to feel uncomfortable is safe enough. note that uncomfortable does not mean pain. if you feel pain, you really must stop listening. uncomfortable is when your ears feel hot and itchy, and well basically unmounting your headphone brings you relief. another point when i think you should stop listening is when your mind starts to get saturated by the music, so that you're not actually enjoying the music.

Actually volume lvl is too subjective. Also dependent on resistance/effecient of phone, design of phones and stuff. Best is as wat 1bit say, till you get sick or feel pain/disconfort. For me using a MS2i is abt 55% from Source while a A900 is 45%

What is 50% volume? 50% of what?

50% of my amp driving um1 will make anyone deaf instantly.

100% of ipod nano driving AKG 501 you can't even hear anything much.

The only way to judge volume is by decibels which can be measured by an SPL meter. They can be found in SLT i think.

Accepted standards for recommended permissible exposure time

85 db

8 hours

88 dB

4 hours

91 db

2 hours

94 db

1 hour

http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/hearingloss.cfm

i think it was mentioned before in one thread that a safe listening level would be one where you can listen comfortably in a very quiet place. take that level with you everywhere, and if you find the environment overwhelming your music, if basically means the surrounding is way too noisy.

personally, on my er6i, i find that some songs i play at 10% volume (4 of 40 levels) are loud.