Sign in to follow this  
Theatre Of Dreams

Disco, Funk, Soul, Reggae, Pop

sometime back i dug out this compilation cd which came with my dad's toyota a few years back. it's entitled Spice Up Your Drive.

Spiced up my ears it has indeed. it is a mix of retro and modern tunes, but a common similarity among them is that they are all groovy, catchy and rhythmic.

to name a few especially favourite tracks of mine:

Earth, Wind and Fire - Boogie Wonderland

The Jacksons - Can You Feel It

Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music

these make up the faster and more retro tracks in the compilation. i don't really like the more modern ones as most of them are techno-remixed to match the album theme.

from the looking up of these songs on the net, genre names like Disco, Funk, Soul, Reggae, Pop surface. i hereby would like to ask if anyone has any recommendation of records which are along this line. really can make the listener nod, tap, swing, smile, dance to the music.

Thanks!

Dance...! Boogie Wonderland...!

Edited by Theatre Of Dreams

Have you heard a group called Boney M?

Their music is disco like and they're from the same time period as earth wind and fire.

Nice to see someone who appreciates funk, i suggest you look at more EWF tracks and also The Commodores and The Isley Brothers band for a start because these are the bands that really brought funk to the mainstream during their time, not to mention they all had lots of hits.

When you are ready to go more indepth, listen to stuff like the JBs or James Brown after he disbanded JBs, Sly and the Family Stone and Paliament/ Funkadelic cos these are mainly the three bands that paved the way for funk. They sound raw in comparision to the above, but that was the way funk was in its early days.

Then you can slowly go on to explore Slave, Average White Band and The GAP Band to name a few. Imo, the first two bands were severly underrated except for The GAP Band which is still so relatively active in touring and still largely represented in today's modern R&B by foreman Charlie Wilson.

From there, i guess you'd figure out what kind of funk you prefer (whether its the old skool James Brown gritty kind or the more party oriented George Clinton type) and have fun exploring.