Sign in to follow this  
a6laze

4p -> 4s adaptor effect on other cans

Have been tinkering lately with the adaptor on my dt880 and was pleasantly surprised! The sound quality improved by several notches! Since the adaptor is 75ohms, the beyer dt880 impedance was effectively raised to 325ohms.

Can anyone explain this phenomena to me? Higher impedance = better audio quality?

Thanks heaps.

the answer is NO

Well, if the answer is no, how is it that just by adding 75ohms of impedance to the ER-4p will effectively convert it to an ER-4s?

u notice any sound difference after converting?

oh god i tot u're not using any amp

my bad

I'm not too sure on this one, but here goes anyway:

It seems like most impedance additions serve to constrict low frequencies. If that's true, I'm pretty sure that a capacitor would serve the opposite purpose, ie, constrict high frequencies. (Note: should try this out someday.) Forgive the digression.

I think the concept of higher impedance and higher quality is dependent on 2 main points:

1. drivers perform better across the range when less hindered by lower frequencies;

2. a high-power, high-impedance amp designed to swing a signal across a wide voltage range has a wider ground for expressing details.

Of course, it's circuitry design couldn't be too shabby in the first place, so adding impedance will reduce the impedance mismatch and allow the your cans to express the amp more faithfully.

Okay, so that was purely theory and assumptions. Just wait for the 'old birds' to give their piece, 'cos I don't have the equipment or experience to back any of this, and I'd really like to know too.

(Should post to Head-Fi too, think they'll have answers)

so its something like the higher the impedence the better the sound quality but u need an suitable amp to drive it

still quite confusing about the 'impedence' kinda thing :S