rayshaw23

i need recommendations on classical and vocals and jazz

hi, i think i'm getting sick of all the pop and rock.

can anyone recommend some good classical CDs? preferable those 'best hits' type, meaning it has all the best from mozart or bach or beethoven.

i'm also interested in vocals from norah jones... preferable current singers singing oldies... what i meant oldies are like some songs that i've heard before. heh... also prefer 'best hits'/'best collections' type

lastly maybe some jazz such as the girl from ipanema... also prefer 'best hits'. thanks.

going to try all these music out with my new um1... i'm feeling that the um1's bass not that strong as compared to my Audio technica SJ3. is it true that headphones sound better than earphones? lastly, i'm currently using the original comply from um1... what do u call those yellow ear plug looking comply? and how much does it cost? thanks people.

if i am not wrong $6 per pair but i stay clear from comply cause u won't get much seal from it, actually both sound quite the same its juz um1 is a single driver so the bass is slightly recessed, if u want stronger bass u can go for dual driver

music recommand wise i dun listen to any classical,vocals etc....

only Jpop's OST and Cpop

thanks for the recommendations... will definitely check that out. recently bought a classical CD called the "the best of classical hits" funnily, it doesnt really sounded well with my UM1. some of the piano sounds funny. does others have this problem? i wonder if its the recording?

hey rayshaw.. glad to hear another listener interested in classical. it's kinda hard to find good classical music realli. it isn't that popular and readily available these days. but just to recommend a few titles you might like :

Air on a G string by JS Bach (String Quartet)

Fugue in G minor by JS Bach (Organ)

Waltz in C Sharp Minor by Frederic Chopin (Piano)

Fantasie Impromptu by Chopin (piano)

Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven (Piano)

Allegro, from Eine Kleine Nachtmusik by Mozart (String Ensemble)

Nocturne in E Flat Major by Chopin (Piano)

hope you like these..several of my personal favs =)

hope these wonderful pieces can attract more classical listeners too ;)

Where would be a good place to search for these cds?

Used to listen to classical mostly on radio only...now going more in depth...

well.. you can check out the bigger shops like That CD Shop, or HMV, Gramophone, etc.. if u are lucky, u can find those china-made cds at cheaper prices. or u can get a compliation cd, which has more popular songs.

any particular composer/genre/singer in mind?

if u are a beginner listener, i would recomend u get a compliation cd, as u are more likely to find sth u might like.

i jus saw some good buys for classical cds at HMW heereen branch. they are at the "CDs from $9.95" section at level one. u can start out there. wanted to get one or two, but running low on cash =p

lol the best u can get is the XRCD jazz in the pawnshop. haha if ur pocket is deep enuff , its like $95. But its the all time favourite classical jazz by worldwide audiophiles.

I bought some of the cheap CDs at HMV before... especially those 6CDs collection sort of thing..SQ's cannot quite make it. makes a whole load of difference... especially with good CD players. Imagine how it'd sound after compressions....

If you'd like to explore the world of vocals/jazz.. i'd say "audiophile voices" will be a good starting point. if you want instrumental jazz, there's plenty. you can try FourPlay. They've been around for ages. Then there's also Tower of Power.

If you like blues guitar, please get Keb Mo. Fantastic

You can try Peter Grant(First Album, Second sounds a little off for me), some a lil similar to Buble. Olivia her voice sounds pretty not bad. There much more selections....for oldies....ummmmm......which year do you prefer? 1970? 1980?

You could try Best Audiophile voices.. quite a few cds already.. those are quite good. Remastered quite well... for specific singers.. if you like bossa you could try astrud gilberto....diana krall's always good.

Emi Fujita is pretty good too..

susan wong's not bad... but her audiophile recordings cost a bomb!