rayshaw23

i need recommendations on classical and vocals and jazz

support local singer, Olivia Ong any1?

prefer audiophile recordings? try Barb Jungr

currently i m listening to Lisa Ono. although I dun understand a word of Portuguese.

Edited by petia

Try the following:

Buddha Bar: Living Theatre Vol 1

Cafe Del Mar

VA Lounge

All these are compilation album, which is a good way to start a new genre.

I bought some of the cheap CDs at HMV before... especially those 6CDs collection sort of thing..SQ's cannot quite make it. makes a whole load of difference... especially with good CD players. Imagine how it'd sound after compressions....

If you'd like to explore the world of vocals/jazz.. i'd say "audiophile voices" will be a good starting point. if you want instrumental jazz, there's plenty. you can try FourPlay. They've been around for ages. Then there's also Tower of Power.

If you like blues guitar, please get Keb Mo. Fantastic

i saw a 5 cd box Decca going for $20 at HMV is tat considering lousy quality too? i always liked decca (my best classical vinyls are decca) and a lot of good classical performers in the compliation.

if you are new to the classical CD, you might need to take a few moment of your time to adsorb down the music meaning...haha...as a point of view from a band member, classical music got meaning, each songs, the way they written are for a meaning...

why a composer wrote this song and what is his feeling!!!haha...

but enjoy =)

Personally, I always avoid the discounted multiple classical CD in one pack sort of thing. Most of these are old recordings and what they do is recycle them to sell them again.

Not that some of these old CDs are bad per se. Some of the old classical performers are unmatched till this day. What I am referring to is the recording quality. I mean, assuming you are particular about that. I find the latest recordings on the big classical labels to be really worth buying at none-discounted prices for. Labels include, DeutscheGrammaphone (DG), EMI, Sony Classical..etc.

Another thing. I also avoid classical CD compilations. Those like "Peaceful Bach" or "Boost Your Brain Mozart". To be compile a CD with different performers and orchestras is not cheap. Hence, to avoid excessive copyright $$ means they have to select the "cheaper" ones which means the not so current or popular ones.

Know what I mean...?

Edited by kongee

What's so special about berliner philharmonical if I may ask? I am just curious.

A lot of history and European tradition behind the Berliner Philharmoniker. It came to prominent when led by Karajan because of extensive recordings under DG label. Under karajan, the sound was distinctive. You can't miss the coherence yet detailed nuances of the orchester in full sound. Both the strings and brass sections packed with very professional players. Latelt there are many re-issues of the Karajan's great recordings , worth collecting if you have not done so. My two-cents worth!

yup, i agree, with maestro Karajan, the music make more interesting.

Had one of the recording by the berline phil playing my all time favourite, jupiter, the bringer of jollity. it is very nice, with the feeling he carry out when he wave.

You shld really get one. no other orchestra so far i had hear can play like them.

Yes, yes, I'm quite a fan of the Berlin Phil as well. Their recordings today and in recent decades are still very very good. Recently Simon Rattle has taken the helm off from Claudio Abbado. Really, only the best of the best get "invited" to take the helm. This is one orchestra where the players elect who should lead them. Talk about the democratic process at work. I've been collecting most of the recent releases and I think they do not lack luster from the Karajan days, plus the recording quality is better than the Karajan ones.

Planets conducted by Rattle, 2008 release I think. Solid audiophile CD to collect. Most recent is Mahler 9; not for the faint hearted.

Actually an interesting note I've gathered is the "female" counterpart of the Berlin Phil is the Vienna Phil. Also just as solid, but with a lighter more refined feminine sound to the strings.

I've loads to talk about, but better not crowd this forum with my ramblings.

Yes, yes, I'm quite a fan of the Berlin Phil as well. Their recordings today and in recent decades are still very very good. Recently Simon Rattle has taken the helm off from Claudio Abbado. Really, only the best of the best get "invited" to take the helm. This is one orchestra where the players elect who should lead them. Talk about the democratic process at work. I've been collecting most of the recent releases and I think they do not lack luster from the Karajan days, plus the recording quality is better than the Karajan ones.

Planets conducted by Rattle, 2008 release I think. Solid audiophile CD to collect. Most recent is Mahler 9; not for the faint hearted.

Actually an interesting note I've gathered is the "female" counterpart of the Berlin Phil is the Vienna Phil. Also just as solid, but with a lighter more refined feminine sound to the strings.

I've loads to talk about, but better not crowd this forum with my ramblings.

Good ramblings. I wonder under Abbado and Rattle, has the Berlin Phil famous Karajan's sound morphed into something different? I have not bought any recent recordings by them under both conductors.