rayshaw23

i need recommendations on classical and vocals and jazz

Can't agree with you more. Interesting to know from your own perspective what makes a conductor 'good'? Is it a personal liking or that of other members of the band as well? regards

hmmm, dun agree on which part?

i mean for a similar piece of composition, there is a few ways to look at it and play around with it.

every conductor is good, but is only see who is more stand out. What made Maestro Karanja different from other conductor is that he is much more experience and have a better understanding towards the music.

The feel that each conductor want to bring out for th orchestra is different, some want a warm sounding for a certain passage.

Some song i can recommend you and you can listen for the different.

You can look for The planet, Jupiter, the bringer of joylity by Holst, it was played by many orchestra in the world. Some go for a soft approach for the song, some go harsh on the tone. Some go fast, some slow.

And also why different conductor conduct and have different feeling is also because of the size of the orchestra. A 50 member can be sound stronger then a 90 member orchestra, or on the opposite.

well, it's like a pair of headphone la.

each of the conductor conduct the orchestra differently, is their "signature".

just like UE who is good in bass, Ety a good treble pair.

Before a conductor is able to stand at the podium conducting a orchestra, he had to go thru many intensive training and study.

Thus making the different.

Can't agree with you more! :)) Perhaps Karajan was using a dynamic headphone afterall.

Some time ago, I viewed a video on Leonard Berstein, the iconic American musician, conducting the New York Philharmonic. It was an educational documentary. He fired up the orchestra which was soon in its famous signature sound. Then ,unexpectively, Berstein left the podium and approached the camera while the orchestra played on nonchalantly. Paraphasing him, he asked "So is the conductor necessary?"

Can't agree with you more! :)) Perhaps Karajan was using a dynamic headphone afterall.

Some time ago, I viewed a video on Leonard Berstein, the iconic American musician, conducting the New York Philharmonic. It was an educational documentary. He fired up the orchestra which was soon in its famous signature sound. Then ,unexpectively, Berstein left the podium and approached the camera while the orchestra played on nonchalantly. Paraphasing him, he asked "So is the conductor necessary?"

conductor sometime is there to direct and instruct the orchestra to play well. Kind of link them together and bring out the feel.

conductor dun usually improve the playing of a player. it's the player own self to practice and know how to play it well.

usually, the orchestra can play without the help of the conductor too. But they will be a mess la.

conductor is like a traffic light, without them, there will be jam or accident every where.

conductor sometime is there to direct and instruct the orchestra to play well. Kind of link them together and bring out the feel.

conductor dun usually improve the playing of a player. it's the player own self to practice and know how to play it well.

usually, the orchestra can play without the help of the conductor too. But they will be a mess la.

conductor is like a traffic light, without them, there will be jam or accident every where.

Aiyah! Traffic jam or accident is very common in Singapore; one can get used to it! Seriously, behind Berstein's rhetorical question "So, is the conductor necessary?", lies a fundamental answer. He is saying that what one sees is just a performance (maybe good or bad). What is not seen are the hours the conductor spent with the orchestra players, moulding them into a signature sound, unique and different from others, and playing according to the conductor's reading of the music. That's the difference between a great and good conductor (or orchestra).

Aiyah! Traffic jam or accident is very common in Singapore; one can get used to it! Seriously, behind Berstein's rhetorical question "So, is the conductor necessary?", lies a fundamental answer. He is saying that what one sees is just a performance (maybe good or bad). What is not seen are the hours the conductor spent with the orchestra players, moulding them into a signature sound, unique and different from others, and playing according to the conductor's reading of the music. That's the difference between a great and good conductor (or orchestra).

hmmmm, yup, a conductor bond and mix those member together to form a good piece of music.

Hey, my poly band is about to have our next concert, since you interested in classical music, and concert band piece, care to come and watch?

is a paid concert =) lols...

hmmmm, yup, a conductor bond and mix those member together to form a good piece of music.

Hey, my poly band is about to have our next concert, since you interested in classical music, and concert band piece, care to come and watch?

is a paid concert =) lols...

Is Berstein or Bengsan coming? :lol:

huh?

Never mind lah! Ignore my lack of sense of humour.

So the Republic Symphonic Wind is giving a 'silver medal' concert. The concert programme looks interesting....blowing with 'lyricism and candour" as the blurb says. All the best .... maybe there. $10/= can afford lah!

Never mind lah! Ignore my lack of sense of humour.

So the Republic Symphonic Wind is giving a 'silver medal' concert. The concert programme looks interesting....blowing with 'lyricism and candour" as the blurb says. All the best .... maybe there. $10/= can afford lah!

errr, marketing move they type one la...you know, office thingy...want more ppl come. lols...

hmmm, silver medal concert? cant promise much, but shall try our best then =)

anyway..thanks then for the wish.

anyway..as a musician, sometime i think i am only go there to blow and play without knowing what gg on.

I feel that for those who are adventurous enough to explore and understand 'modern' music should look at Robert Simpson's Symphony # 9, by the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Vernon Handley, under Hyperion label. This cd is unique because Robert Simpson, a current notable English composer, gives a commentary on the music at the end of the track. As he explains: if you fail to respond to the music in the first hearing, you may find the commentary superflous. However, if you are drawn into further listening after the commentary, you can be 'doubtly' enriched each time. The movements (three I think) are organically linked to give a seamless whole. The composer acknowledges the influence of two great composers, Beethoven and Bruckner (his 6th symphony especially), but created his own rising chords and cyclic momentum, giving a very engrossing musical experience. Hope you can find the cd here!