Sign in to follow this  
billray

need help with cross over setting

Hi,

I'm using a Denon AVR 1507 with Sat (5.1) n a Sub as HT

I need to do some setting for the crossover frequency

In my AVR, there is a setting which can set to a crossover of 250Hz.

My Sub also can adjust from 80-150Hz

My Sat is Frequency respond is 100Hz-18KHz

Question is

1) How much shld i set at AVR cross over?

2) How much shld i set at Sub cross over?

Please help, thank you

I suppose you mean that your main speakers are 100Hz - 18kHz? In that case your xover should be higher than 100Hz as your main speakers will drop off quickly below 100Hz.

This is what is normally done.

1. Set your subwoofer corssover over to the highest (150Hz in your case). I.e. you are going to use your receiver to control the xover.

2. Set xover on your receiver to desired frequency. In your case, I suggest 120-125Hz. Try not to go higher than that as it'd meddle too much with the low mids.

This is assuming your main speakers are connected to your receiver.

Hi Xjazzdummy,

I connecting all Sat to my AVR and from AVR use a RCA to Sub inlet.

So meaning on my Sub i set to max 150Hz, and then control the AVR Xover between 120-125Hz. If any thing i should just adjust the AVR xover isit?

What actually does this Xover over do? Xover over in sub & AVR whats the different? I read Xcross wrongly adjust will damage Sat as Sat do not have the Xover filter.

Thank you for your advise. :)

So meaning on my Sub i set to max 150Hz, and then control the AVR Xover between 120-125Hz. If any thing i should just adjust the AVR xover isit?

That's right. Crossover places a low pass filter on the sub output from the receiver, and a high pass filter on the stereo speakers (sometimes also your surround speakers, depending whether you turn bass management on or off in your receiver).

In plain terms, xover determines where to split the bass between the sub and the other speakers. Say there's a 80Hz tone. With your xover settings, the tone will be output from the sub and not the other speakers. With a 150Hz tone, it'll be the other way round. The tone will be output from the speakers and not the sub.

This is important because if the same tone (especially for low frequencies) is produced by more than one speaker, there will be all kinds of comb-filtering and phase interaction problems (recall O level physics). It may even sound like the bass frequencies are being sucked out.

What about tones at or very near the xover frequency? These notes will be output partially on both the subs and the other speakers. Will there be phase or other problems? Yes there will be, and there's where the genius in xover design comes in.

Actually xovers are used whenever there are more than one driver, e.g. in 2 or 3-way speakers, even in 2-driver IEMs. These can be active or passive crossovers. There's always weakness at the crossover frequency.