feather

Opinions on Walkman Phones

Really debatable. I yet to hear the n91 but from a w950i point, I find its as good as an average mp3 player other then the crackle between songs which is darn obvious with IEM >.<

tassardar, would u consider the w950i's sound quality on par with mp3 players like Cowon iAudio? of cos without considering the crackles in between changing songs.

any N91 users care to debate or at least share ur opinions? :party:

From your replies, it sounds like handphones have passable or even sub-par sound quality? And if paired with a sensitive IEM like the UM2, might end up amplifying the sub-par SQ?

Passable sound quality. Amping it does make the sound better as tested.With highly sensitive IEM like triple fi or um2, its pretty ok. other then the crackle between songs, the handphone can produce quality similar to an mp3 player. The sound will no doubt be lousier then a cdp but then again they are very portable considering they carry 2 functions at once. BTW as im using a w950i, space isnt a constrain to me so all my songs are at 320 bit rate. bit rate does make a difference

Edited by tassardar_

I have a SEK800i and comparing to an ipod, generally, its bass is lacking and mids are not so strong. Have to use the EQ for bass boost.

As i said in the other thread, I now use my K800i as my music player. :P

I have a SEK800i and comparing to an ipod, generally, its bass is lacking and mids are not so strong. Have to use the EQ for bass boost.

As i said in the other thread, I now use my K800i as my music player. :P

Off Topic: U must be the same afbug from "hardwarezone" forum who is very experience in "ear-phone"

On Topic: Could you list out the top models from SE that have the best sound quality? By the way afbug, what is your opinion about SE walkman phones' sound quality vs other brands like Nokia (e.g. N91)?

We'd really appreciate it if you could share with us ur recommendation on a good music phone :cans:

Cool thanks for your feedback :)

Hi afbug

Can the k800i be used with another headphone like MylarOne IEM other than the proprietary Sony Ericsson Headset?? i own a K700! & a newer K618i and both does not come with a 35mm headphone jack for use with another headphone.. Is W810i better SQ than the K series since it is a true sony walkman phone??

I dun have experience with other brands of phones but SE has one of the best sound. As far as I know, the current SE models should sound the same. As for Walkman Vs Cybershot, the sound quality is the same. Tried my K800i against friend's W810 and W850. The difference is that the Walkman series has better music player software. It gives u more choices in searching for songs like 'Album, Genre' etc. And it has a more colourful or should i say attractive interface. In the K800i, u only have 'Artiste, tracks and playlist' and its presented in a dull grey colour. These are the differences. Sound wise, my friends and I can't tell.

U can use a 3rd party 3.5mm adapter but look around and get a better one. There're many cheap and lousy ones out there. As for me, I'm using a HPM-70 which has a 3.5mm jack.

Just dun expect it to replace your player. Not quite there yet but close enough to be acceptable for me and good enough to the countless SE users out there.

Also, the latest SE models uses the Sony M2 card and the current max is only 2gb, which is definately not enough as u can do many things with the phone like movie clips and the countless games out there. 4gb is on the way but it will be very ex. As always, Sony MS cards cost a lot more than other brands/formats. U win some, u lose some I guess.

N91's SQ is pretty good....

But it ends there...

I felt so relieved when I got rid of mine...

Totally terrible experience...

Stick to a dedicated dap is still better than using half baked craps

N91's SQ is pretty good....

But it ends there...

I felt so relieved when I got rid of mine...

Totally terrible experience...

Stick to a dedicated dap is still better than using half baked craps

Care to share with us why did u feel relieved of getting rid of it when u said its SQ is pretty good?

Is it because it's HDD failed on u? or purely because the SQ is still below average compared to a dedicated DAP?

Sound quality is actually pretty good.

However, it's too bulky to be carrying around....heavy as well...

The music buttons are damn horrible...insensitive...or simply they lag too much...sometimes there's no response... and when u keep pressing, suddenly it tries to execute all your previous commands

Music management is nightmare....Unable to arrange by artists, album etc... Perhaps later firmware able to...But i had no desire to find out

When you skip a particular track. the next song that plays jitters so much, it's totally unbearable

Album art and song always mismatch... Sometimes title also wrong...

As a phone, functions lag by way way too much. Vomit blood man...

The only good points are the decent sound quality...Compared to a Ipod mini...

The earphone jack was the 3.5mm stereo jack....mine came along with the Sennheiser headset....

For awhile i tot the SQ was really good...till the took the headset and plugged into my K750i...I find that the misconception of the SQ being better is likely due to the better headphones that they package. However, the N91's hissing sound was not as obvious compared to SE.

Having used quite a number of Nokias, SE n Motorola...I would gladly say SE probably has the best implementation for interface with decent SQ, Motorola has decent SQ but slightly lousier interface. Nokia has the potential...but as long as they do not change their policy of releasing crap standard phones, then struggle with patching...I'm staying off them for the rest of my life...Unless work related.

lol the controls for music player on SEs are very good. 3 ways control. 1) When holding in ur palm, use the joystick to play/stop, forward/rewind. 2) on the table, use keypad 4,5 and 6. 3) When holding in ur hand, use the dedicated play/stop and vol keys to that but have to press and hold for 2 sec, if not it adjusts the vol.

My K800i is quite responsive, at least never hang before. Song transition has no additional hissing.

The problem with the N series is that it can do many things, therefore, slowing it down.

yeah, I mean...basically it's still a handphone, secondary functions as a dap...

so it cant be too buggy... imagine want to use phone function also jialat...want to listen to songs also so much problem...

If not for that insane price during that time....really felt like using sledgehammer and whack the bugger...

Ok i own a W550i and tried the IPod b4. What i can say is that walkman handphones have the megabass EQ that makes everything sound great. The first time i heard that i was quite blown away. And btw WALKMAN and NORMAL Sony Ericson's phone is not the same since only walkman handphone have the megabass EQ. But somehow 1 of my friend had that function and he said by updating it or something. But after listening much the megabass thing is making music sound a bit hallow.

Tested IPod and it sounded rather flat but i nvr test any EQ settings. But this days i tried the sandisk MP3 and i must say they are pretty good. The bass is there, everything is balanced and not so narrow sounding.